Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello to you all,

I had an enquiry the other day and I thought I would post a bit of info here FYI, given that it might I and that you do grow GARLIC.

White rot is a mean fungus which is one of the few pests that may attack your garlic container in cooler climes. It attacks the roots and the lower leaves of the plants ad is a white powdery stuff that is motr opaque and solid looking than powdery mildew or similar other fungi.

Unfortunately, the spores of this fungus live on in the soil for years afterwards and there is not much you can do except throw away the soil, clean your pots well (soak them in vinegar water) and rotate your vegetable crops - and by this I mean do not grow garlic in that same pot for a year or two afterwards.

This particular fungus only likes garlic and sometimes onions, so it is safe to grow other vegetables or flowers in the clean ex-garlic pot (with new soil).

Luckily I have never experienced this but I have a garden companion in another province who has, so this advice also comes from her.

As you know Garlic is a natural pest repellent (together with chillies and mixed in with dishwasher liquid for a spray) and so is a pretty resistant herb and food to grow - and besides being a king in the kitchen it has many health benefits too.

Do you grow your own garlic? Do tell and I say thanks.

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 10/22/12 01:12 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello there,

Do you eat garlic?

I know that many don't for several reasons and they don't cook with it either.

I would also like to ask whether you actually grow your own garlic or do you find it easier just to buy what you need, ready prepared or in bottles and olive oil, paste, pickled etc to keep in the 'fridge and use as and when?

I do grow my own but also buy elephant garlic (milder) when I see it in the shops as it lasts longer. I keep meaning to grow some to see what is what but haven't got my round tuit it on that one yet.

Anyway, please answer question if you will, do you grow your own garlic?

Thanks and cheers

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi guys!

WHOO HOO! I got a bullet of an email saying:

"OF COURSE we do - grow it AND eat it AND cook with it AND use it medicinally AND we Pickle and Oil it AND we use it as a insect repellent spray AND as a people repellent. PALEEZ do not ask stupid questions!"

Okay Giovanni I won't.

- Do you roast it?
- Make potato salad with it?
- Wash your hands in vanilla water after been peeling it?
- When last did you stuff a leg of lamb with it? or
- Visit the Garlic Festival? or
- Eat Garlic toffee and/or chocolate?

No names, no packdrill okay?
Ta.

Container Gardening Site

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.