Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
My latest find was on FamilySearch.org. I did a search for birth, death, marriage records and found my ancestor's probate record. He died intestate. I now have the actual date of death. The record indicates that his wife was to receive a year's allowance from the estate for her support. I now need to see if I can locate a deed devising the property. I would have thought that the probate record would have included a distribution of the property but in this case it did not.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
I don't know exactly what happens with intestacy probates, Angie. The procedure probably differs between common-law jurisdictions and statute-law ones; the US states don't all have the same, I think. Also, there's a difference in the ways land (real estate) and other assets are treated. I hope you will post here, on your findings. Very interesting!

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Gordon, generally in cases where there is no will here in Virginia (long time ago), an administrator is appointed. The inventory and appraisal are done, and then there is a sale or division of property. The wife gets a dower share or sometimes a child's share. The paperwork in the probate book include guardianship when necessary and lists and then receipts. In North Carolina it is similar. I find no deed for the sale of property. Isaac and Mary sold some property just before he died. So confusing.

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Do you have a legal description of the property - e.g. its physical location? If so, there may be a record of its previous ownership, and there may be people in the neighbourhood today who might be able to help you. I say that without much hope, but in tracing ancestors I've sometimes found it helpful to "come through the window", as it were. [That's an old Stan Freberg reference, Angie. Ask your father about it! We still use it in our house.]

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: Gordon Barlow
helpful to "come through the window", as it were. [That's an old Stan Freberg reference, Angie. Ask your father about it! We still use it in our house.]

Dad's been gone a long time.... I have come in through the window at times - The FAN (family and neighbors) club of our ancestors can be helpful in opening the windows. It would be fun to find out where the properties of my ancestors were located - I need to do a title search. Wills back in the day where properties were transferred were not always recorded as deeds. The FAN club comes into play here too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.