Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
What great parenting skills did you learn from your parents? You know, those things that worked perfectly then and now...

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I'm not sure this would qualify as a skill, but I am everyday-grateful that my parents encouraged me to stand on my own two feet, to learn who I was, and to help me create a solid enough foundation and strong self-concept that I wasn't swayed by peer pressure, jumping on the wagon, or afraid to speak my mind when it was different than everyone else's.

I hope I am raising my children in the same manner.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lisa-

That's amazing!!! That is my family mission statement, to assist my girls on their mission to self-actualization; understanding who they are (mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally), having confidence in that, knowing how to change what they do not like, and loving themselves enough to speak up and share.

Please share some of the examples that worked for you.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I just read your mission statement.

I don't think it was anything explicit. I was a bit off the beaten path but I was never discouraged and always encouraged to be who I was, to explore, etc.

Even college - all my friends went to one of two schools in two states, for the most part... I went off to a completely different state to a school where I didn't know anyone

I always had (have) the message: you are loved, you know?

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks for that Lisa.

I think I needed this conversation. As much as my mission statement has changed overtime, a moment like this will continue to arise that will make me tweak it again.

I realize, in this conversation, it is the tools and knowledge of their use, that I wish to give my girls. I want them to know how to research information, how and when to go within for introspection, understand what tools work to help them focus and recognize a need for change (within or without), etc.

At the end of the day, I still want them to be self-loving and confident of who they are mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally, and financially; but I cannot guarantee this.

So, as the article you referred to in daughters, suggested,I must be the role model and as your parents have done, I must always remind them that I love them and am proud of them as they make their way through it all.

Thanks again.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Yvonnie - My mom tells me she made tons of mistakes, but I don't remember them. I think building resilient children helps them to make their way through mistake, conflict, etc.

Lately, I've been hearing of all these good kids who are doing drugs.... and all I want is to raise my children so they can say no to drugs and alcohol. I want them to feel good about themSelves and not be overwhelmed with pressure to succeed or be someone important or make a ton of money.

I want them to find who they are and be that person and enjoy life, put good things in the world, and have positive impacts on the people they meet. Spread kindness.

I want them to be critical thinkers and know how to resolve conflict. I wish for them good communication skills, the comfort of being themSelves, and the ability to stand up for what they believe in.

I wish for them strong ties to their Jewish heritage and hope that that can help drive their decisions, what they do for others and for the world, and make extraordinary moments from ordinary ones.

anyone else want to join us? what is your family mission statement?

Last edited by Lisa Moms~Judaism; 10/30/12 08:55 AM.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My parents didn't do too much for us. Actually, they did a LOT for us and continued to do so throughout our adult lives but I mean that they didn't micromanage us. My son expected me to enroll him in college and fill out all the paperwork for financial aid, registration, etc. What?!?!

I crippled him by doing too much for him.

Our family mission statement? We're together to offer support, encouragement, companionship and unconditional love as we learn, explore, discover and appreciate this magnificent gift and journey that is life on earth.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Didn't see that much of my father because it seems he was always off saving the world or something, so although he gave us some good examples etc. got to really know him as a adult, however my mother was there always holding the fort and the family together.

Did I appreciate what she was teaching us, even subconsciously, at the time? No not really, but when my own family came along then it clicked, and I will never be able to thank her enough.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I think this thread has turned into, what is your family's mission statement. And I love it.

Lisa & Lori, those are great.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine-

That's what parenting does to us. It brings in floods of childhood memories, good and bad. As children, we have one opinion and as we carry out our parenting responsibilities, we see more of what we want to adapt and what we want to avoid.

And no matter what we are doing, we do not know the effects it will actually have on our children. We just continue to do our best and hope it turns out wonderful. Having a child, like you, that later on sees how hard we have worked and expresses appreciation for that must be priceless.

A mission statement is something you can later use to measure your success. Even if they do not make the same choices you would have, did they gather what you intended for them to gather?

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.