Print Thread
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
It's important to view your child's teacher as your ally. I have some suggestions about difficult conversations you may need to have with him or her:

Parent-Teacher Conversations

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Please share additional advice for approaching difficult conversations. Do you have a situation to share? We can all learn from it!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Great article Lisa!

I remember my mom having a rule that I was not allowed to be a part of the conversation when she spoke to my teacher.

My mother's purpose was to keep me from feeling that I was the "new power" if she took my side. My mother always felt that a class runs better if the Teacher is always viewed as the authority in the class. She was probably right. Other students who's parents had opposed the Teacher in front of them, felt it fine to continuously oppose the Teacher in class; which proved to be disruptive. Such moments caused the student and teacher to have a battle for power throughout the remainder of the year. It also made room for other students to challenge the teacher. It sometimes creates an "us against them" consensus.

Another reason my mother decided to keep me out was so that if she agreed with the teacher, they could agree to a plan that would take care of the problem and keep me on the right track at home and at school. My mother would walk away with a complete picture of who I was in school. Together they could decide what was effecting me and what would be the best solution.

By keeping me out of the meeting I did not need to know which side my mom took. Afterwards though, she would always remind me of my responsibilities in the class and how to deal with my concerns for situations with the teacher.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I agree with your mother's thinking, Yvonnie.

My son was invited to come to his fifth grade conference but not his sixth grade one this year. I am fortunate that my son does not have a hard time in school - either with behavior or academics. But, I imagine if he had had problems - the conference in fifth grade would have been a bit awkward.

The space for the parent - student - teacher conversation exists, but I'm not sure if one needs to wait for teacher conferences for that to take place. That should be ongoing based upon the need!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yep,

I was a pretty bright kid. Sometimes though, when I finished my work to early, I became a bit talkative and on a few occasions I was accused of things, by other students, mostly because I was the Teachers' Pet.

No matter, excluding me from Parent-Teacher talks went a long way.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Not to mention - we really appreciate coming home after conferences and talking with our children about what their teachers said, what their strengths are, how they might improve, etc. I think our children enjoy that too.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.