Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion, ashjoielee
57314 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57314 Members
417 Forums
113292 Topics
803863 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 604
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 383
Beetlemess 286
Jana - Creativity Editor 282
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 80
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 58
Nancy Roussy 52
Mona - Astronomy 47
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#786154 - 10/04/12 01:30 AM Parent-Teacher Conversations
Lisa - Moms Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Arizona
It's important to view your child's teacher as your ally. I have some suggestions about difficult conversations you may need to have with him or her:

Parent-Teacher Conversations

Moms Site

Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to Twitter Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to Facebook Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to MySpace Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to Del.icio.us Digg Parent-Teacher Conversations Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to Yahoo My Web Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to Google Bookmarks Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to Stumbleupon Add Parent-Teacher Conversations to Reddit
#786155 - 10/04/12 01:30 AM Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations [Re: Lisa - Moms]
Lisa - Moms Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Please share additional advice for approaching difficult conversations. Do you have a situation to share? We can all learn from it!

Moms Site

Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Twitter Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Facebook Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to MySpace Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Reddit
#790050 - 10/29/12 04:49 PM Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations [Re: Lisa - Moms]
Yvonnie-Inspired Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Illinois, US
Great article Lisa!

I remember my mom having a rule that I was not allowed to be a part of the conversation when she spoke to my teacher.

My mother's purpose was to keep me from feeling that I was the "new power" if she took my side. My mother always felt that a class runs better if the Teacher is always viewed as the authority in the class. She was probably right. Other students who's parents had opposed the Teacher in front of them, felt it fine to continuously oppose the Teacher in class; which proved to be disruptive. Such moments caused the student and teacher to have a battle for power throughout the remainder of the year. It also made room for other students to challenge the teacher. It sometimes creates an "us against them" consensus.

Another reason my mother decided to keep me out was so that if she agreed with the teacher, they could agree to a plan that would take care of the problem and keep me on the right track at home and at school. My mother would walk away with a complete picture of who I was in school. Together they could decide what was effecting me and what would be the best solution.

By keeping me out of the meeting I did not need to know which side my mom took. Afterwards though, she would always remind me of my responsibilities in the class and how to deal with my concerns for situations with the teacher.

Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Twitter Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Facebook Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to MySpace Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations to Reddit
#790066 - 10/29/12 06:49 PM Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations [Re: Lisa - Moms]
Lisa - Moms Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

I agree with your mother's thinking, Yvonnie.

My son was invited to come to his fifth grade conference but not his sixth grade one this year. I am fortunate that my son does not have a hard time in school - either with behavior or academics. But, I imagine if he had had problems - the conference in fifth grade would have been a bit awkward.

The space for the parent - student - teacher conversation exists, but I'm not sure if one needs to wait for teacher conferences for that to take place. That should be ongoing based upon the need!

Moms Site

#790075 - 10/29/12 07:46 PM Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations [Re: Lisa - Moms]
Yvonnie-Inspired Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Illinois, US
Yep,

I was a pretty bright kid. Sometimes though, when I finished my work to early, I became a bit talkative and on a few occasions I was accused of things, by other students, mostly because I was the Teachers' Pet.

No matter, excluding me from Parent-Teacher talks went a long way.

#790083 - 10/29/12 08:14 PM Re: Parent-Teacher Conversations [Re: Lisa - Moms]
Lisa - Moms Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Not to mention - we really appreciate coming home after conferences and talking with our children about what their teachers said, what their strengths are, how they might improve, etc. I think our children enjoy that too.

Moms Site

Moderator:  Lisa - Moms 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
New game - Quote it
by Dorcy
Creativity
1 second ago
Loyalty OSU vs. Rutgers
by Dianne W - Editor
Football
37 minutes 29 seconds ago
Love this site
by Dianne W - Editor
Movie Mistakes
41 minutes 24 seconds ago
Opening today - New Keanu Reeves Movie
by Dianne W - Editor
Action Movies
Today at 03:23 PM
Name a Classic Toy Game
by Beetlemess
Creativity
Today at 02:26 PM
Music ABC game
by Beetlemess
Pop Music
Today at 02:06 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Beetlemess
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 02:02 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Beetlemess
Comedy Movies
Today at 02:00 PM
Fall Fun Word Game
by Beetlemess
Investing
Today at 01:54 PM
New game
by Beetlemess
History
Today at 01:26 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Dorcy, "Rosie"), 125 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.