Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Jilly -

If your goal is to not talk to the stranger about your life, then it seems you have hit upon the perfect solution! It's a fun answer, one they will enjoy.

So, just to clarify a bit, when you had said "I'd rather know what they do in their spare time" does that mean you'd enjoy talking about that? Or do you mean that this would be a slightly improved but still painful topic?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I like to hear about people's hobbies, just not what they do for money. It's a trigger for me. But if they like to make stain glass windows, travel in europe or grow orchids, that sounds interesting.

What people do NOT do for a living seems like a stress-free topic to me.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I agree, Jilly. My daughter struggles with this question. Because of her age, people assume she goes to college but she doesn't. She also doesn't have a job. For a while now, I would intervene and tell people that her focus on on getting well as she was receiving treatments for her disorder. That was a conversation stopper.

But now that she has stopped treatment, she is having the same problem. I tell her that she is now my personal assistant and we have a home-based business (true) selling self help books. Internet businesses are popular now.

So Jilly, if you were a bird, which type of bird would you be? smile

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
When someone asks you, What do you do? Are you joyful and proud with the response you give? Or do you hedge, or feel uncomfortable with your response?

Hi Lisa, when people ask �What do you do?� this is what I think they really want to know:

What Do You Do?

M
M
I am new to Bellaonline and am in transition from homeopath to writer...Woohoo! I am loving the shift from caring for ill people to writing about my twenties when I was a war journalist in Afghanistan after the Soviet invasion. I was so excited to write I wrote a second book this year called, "The Four Methods of Journal Writing: Self-Transformation through Memoir" inspired by my over 30 years of journaling and the new memoir I wrote:) It's great to find you guys... Thanks!

mcburch #789852 10/28/12 07:39 AM
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: mcburch
I am new to Bellaonline and am in transition from homeopath to writer...It's great to find you guys...

Welcome! Wish you all the best best in the transition to 'writer'. You'll get lots of tips, advice and support on BellaOnline. (JOY)

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
For all my grumblings about being pigeon-holed into one "role" I just read how focus is vital to success. Maybe that is precisely what is holding me back: too many interests. Scattering my energy is not a good idea.

So now it is time to define myself in a more focused fashion. What do I do?

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think one topic which is coming up here is that an assumption is made that "what do you do" is about money. It doesn't have to be!! It can be about what you LOVE to do.

If someone asks me "what do you do" I could say "I love to kayak". It is absolutely true!

So I think it might help to shed all connections with money or income. The question is about the activities you do. We can answer from the heart smile And that is a perfect answer!

Would a nun in a convent answer about money? smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lori -

I believe it is about a balance. If you have just one single interest you could burn out. If all I did all day every was kayak, that might be too much for me. But I like to kayak sometimes, and write novels sometimes, and do yoga sometimes, and so on. Now the other side of it is I don't do yoga once a month, kayaking once a month, Wii dancing once a month, and 80 thousand other things once a month. I do have some consistency with the things I do.

So I think there's a middle ground. I love having origami paper, and paper crafts, and bath salts, and other creative things to play with. That is fine. At the same time, I have some central themes that keep me grounded.

So the question is perhaps are your interests in the range of 20 items - or 2,000 items? smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I usually reply "When"? since I have a steady job with the council, write on a variety of things, am deeply involved in following the Pagan path, am a qualified hypnotherapist, masseur, counsellor, and reflexologist, and am constantly expanding my skills base. smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.