Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Dear all,

After finally sitting down to write last night, I have determined I may need to pass on NaNoWriMo this November. When I look at my commitments and schedule, I know I can not put the time and effort in that I would like - all of which makes me very, very sad. I may have to do my own DiNoWriMo early next year. :-)

Sometimes it's about knowing our limitations and when I look at what I'm behind on, I grow weary...LOL...even though I know the point is to stretch one's self out of one's own comfort zone and make it happen - I think I need to recognize it would not be a good idea at the moment. This month I'm teaching, going to conferences and preparing for a certification exam, plus I my writing projects (i.e. two sites at BellaOnline)...

However, I am here to support you all and will be cheering you on because it is definitely an exciting and worthwhile exercise. I'm excited to see so many people participating! Keep it up!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Dianne -

Don't look at it as an all-or-nothing thing. It's like meditation. Meditation isn't about perfect no-thought bliss for a full hour. Meditation is about training your mind, bit by bit, so that it runs more smoothly. Sometimes it's only 2 minutes. Sometimes it's 30 seconds! It's that repeated practice that makes the wheels turn more smoothly and the thoughts roll out like smooth waves.

So many people put off writing until the time is right and they can make the perfect effort. That's what often stymies us. Shake loose those expectations. It is NOT going to be perfect! It is NOT going to be stellar! It is simply going to flow. Whatever flows is going to be wonderful, for the mere fact that it *did* flow.

Try stream of consciousness plot releasing just for ten minutes. You don't have to make a perfect story. You don't even have to write a coherent chapter. Simply release a scene from your mind. Releasing that scene frees your mind up for other thoughts! And it lubricates your mind in the process of releasing scenes smile.

No stress! It's like journaling smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Dear Lisa,

I know I should have that mind set and trust me - I did just free flow last night, but then I kept stopping, not to correct myself, but rather to work on an article, go shopping for a kindle...LOL...while cooking dinner, reading a chapter to study and all that other stuff.

I guess if I stop thinking that I have to reach 50,000 words I can do it. I've bantered this about in my head all day and gosh my mind is exhausted trying to figure out when I will have a minute to sit down and free flow (write).

Hearing someone else take thoughts out my head, I feel like mayyyybeee I can do this. You're so right, we put things off waiting for the right moment and that right moment may never materialize and I think that is my struggle - realizing that but then also having other stuff going on. For example, I say if I didn't have to teach, go to conferences and pass that test this month - I would be all over NaNoWriMo. But if I try and don't make it, at least I started a foundation for something that i really want to do. If I don't try, then I would definitely have nothing.

Anyway....enough of my musings...Thanks, Lisa!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Dianne -

Right it sounds like the meditation analogy works wonderfully here. You keep getting distracted, so you think it's not worth the effort. But the core idea of meditation is that you *are* going to be distracted. Life is about distractions. The meditation is the training, tiny bit by tiny bit, to help you focus through distractions. You feel a call to lose focus, you gently draw yourself back. You feel like you can't quite do it. You gently draw yourself back with the idea that yes, this will be OK.

Don't think about 50,000 words. Don't even think about 1,667 words. Just think about one little piece of a scene. What interesting scene could you release? The beauty of it is once you release that scene, your brain now has space within it and new things flower there.

And the additional beauty is that the more you make these little forays into success, the more smoothly everything flows in your life - not just the writing, but your other writing, your other projects, and so on. It is training your mind to focus and "just do it".

Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Lisa,
That's exactly what I did the first year and probably why I was successful. You make it sound so peaceful :-) - gently drawing myself back in, but it's true.

I'm going to keep going. I know whatever happens at the end of 30 days, I will feel like I accomplished something.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Dianne -

That is great! Whatever you create, it will be something that did not exist until you wrote it down smile. Sometimes short stories are the most beautiful ones!

Lisa

Low Carb Forum
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Maeve, maybe next year. It is hard work and fun at the same time! Plus, you can write nonfiction or fiction - your choice.

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Maeve - way to go. Let us know your progress.

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Well, it's day 10 and as of yesterday I was a little ahead of the game. Haven't written anything towards NaNo yet today, but will by the end of the day.

Word count as of yesterday was 18102.

How are you doing? How many words so far? We would love to hear your progress report and if you need a pep talk or have a question, just let me know.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That is great news, Edie - congratulations! Is your story going the way you initially thought it would?

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Edie - MysteryBooksEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.