Go ... to yourself.

I love this week's Parsha and all the lessons contained within it.

This week, Abraham is told "look heavenward and count the stars if you are able to. So will be your children."

One of the longstanding and frequently taught interpretations says that this means the descendants of Abraham will be as numerous as the stars.

Another interpretation that I learned of yesterday addresses the fact that counting the stars is an "impossible" feat. Abraham knew this and G-d knew this. So, why would G-d ask Abraham to do it? The fact is that Abraham frequently had placed before him - tasks that seemed impossible. Yet, he did them anyway. He left his home, his family, and his community because G-d told him to.

"So will be your children" may allude to the fact that the descendant's of Abraham will also have this quality of reaching for the impossible, or persevering on their own course even if they are alone, and of stepping outside into the realm of impossibility to make something possible.

Shabbat Shalom.

(the rabbi with whom I learned was Rabbi Allouche of Beth Tefillah in Scottsdale, Arizona)

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site