Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I'd like to gently remind posters that the purpose of this thread is to support people who want to do NaNoWriMo. We want to uplift their dreams that they can create great works by using this process. We want to demonstrate that we're here to help them in any way we can. Our BellaOnline forums are about support, nurturing, and encouragement for people on the path they have chosen.

It's like our Married-No-Kids forum. That forum exists for people who are married and have no kids to feel safe, warm, and nurtured in that environment. We want all posts in that forum to be encouraging of that goal and to support the posters in any way we can.

People who feel life is only complete when a woman has a child share their thoughts in the Moms forum! They would not post that in the married-no-kids forum smile. There are different forums for different goals, and all strive to be supportive of the chosen area.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Just a few inspirations for you all!

On The Road was written - start to finish - in less than a month by Jack Kerouac. Yes, he did ample research beforehand. That's fine. Research is good! Then when he set down to write, he focused, plugged away, and he was done within one month.

On The Road has been voted in many top-100 of all time lists. It's 320 pages long.

He didn't even spend any extra time after that editing, which we can do!

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote A Study in Scarlet in under a month, and again that was complete start to finish. That was "only" 44,000 words, so a bit short, but he spent time polishing smile.

So absolutely, great, fascinating, entertaining works of literature can be created start-to-finish in a month. In our case we're simply aiming to break through our writer's block and get the story down on paper to start with!

Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I did well my first year, I started without an outline or a thought as to what I was going to write, but once I started words just flowed. I actually finished a week ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, I didn't participate last year due to personal family issues.

I love a challenge and this is really, as Lisa said, a draft. There are thousands who participate and some really great kick-off parties. I had made numerous friends at some of the "write-ins". I think there were even some that cleaned up their creations enough to publish.

I'm looking forward to participating. Granted it isn't for everyone, and that's ok but what a wonderful opportunity to write, as they say, with "literary abandon."

I support everyone who is giving it a try. My NaNoWriMolog-on still works and my user name is dxwalker. I'm with you Lisa, it's all about encouragement!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I gave it a shot once and got to about 20,000 words before burning out. I'm going back and forth about trying it again. Even if you don't finish, the free-flow writing for days on end is a worth experience.

Alice Andersen
Horror Literature
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
My husband has done NaNoWriMo for several years; unfortunately, he's having to skip this year because he hasn't had the time to do any pre-writing work this time around.

Every year he's done it, he's reached the 50,000 words in the time limit. With two of the manuscripts he wrote during NaNoWriMo, he spent time polishing them afterward and self-publishing them.

My 15-year-old participated in the youth version of NaNoWriMo a couple of years ago, and she's planning to do it again this year. With the youth version, they get to set their word count goal. With her first attempt, she set it at 20,000 words, and I believe that will be her goal again this time.

If you decide to participate in NaNoWriMo, just try to do your best. While it's great if you write the 50,000 words in 30 days, it's not the end of the world if you don't. Good luck to all who will be participating!

Last edited by Lesley-Anime&Newsletters; 10/25/12 11:59 PM.

Lesley Aeschliman
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Dianne -

That's great that you finished early in your first run! That's quite inspiring!

I've added you as a buddy.

Part of this exercise is the training-the-brain-to-write part. That is, when one meditates, one practices every day because the more one practices, the better one's mind gets at doing it. The mind gets into the rhythm.

So by focusing on writing daily for a month, one trains one's mind on writing smoothly and easily. It gets easier and easier as one goes. That serves a writer well no matter what projects the writer takes on after that.

It's well worth it for anyone who writes to do this, even just to put in that training time!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Alice -

Absolutely you should give it a shot - let us know what your username is! We will support and encourage you. Burnout is exactly what this process is about counteracting. It's just like any other skill one works on. If I did an hour long yoga routine the first day, I might be exhausted. Then the next day it's a little easier. After a month I'm loving it and reaping great benefits from it.

The more one writes, the easier it gets, and the more the brain lubricates and builds its skills in that area. And that then helps us in all writing tasks!

I'm now at the point where stories just flow out of me, because I've been doing this kind of practice.

I bet you will get further this time, because of the skills you learned last time!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Lesley -

That's wonderful that your husband has been able to finish his goals each time! It's inspiring that he then was able to polish that work into publishable final products. In essence the month-project gave him the raw material to then finish.

It's what milestones are all about smile. Set a deadline, and things are much more likely to get completed. Leave things up in the air, and things tend to drag out.

Kudos to your daughter for her writing! Think of the skills and experience she is building!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Completing the first draft is an "assignment" Lisa. It is a goal, a task. So it is an assignment one hopes to complete.

In Germany NaNoWriMo sounds great fun. Groups are spread throughout the country and folks meet up at coffee houses and restaurants for example and make a big social thing out of it.

They have a great website and there are some fascinating and useful help articles, such as "How to use your inner critic", but the whole thing is aimed at being an enjoyable and useful experience, regardless of the end result.

A fun journey.

It hasn't really caught on to the same extent in its neighbor France, down to the difference in culture probably.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I think the whole thing is such a great idea. I've had friends telling me I should write a book about my life or some such thing. It's not something that really interests me. This also comes during the time period where my own business is at its busiest.

Anyone that can start and complete a rough draft of a book is simply awesome and kudos to them. I'll try to check in here every few days to see how everyone is doing.

I do have a short ebook I'd like to complete by Thanskgiving. maybe I can finally get that done. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.