Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
We made promises to stay married �for better or for worse� but who knew what life would throw our way when we made those well-intentioned vows? In this article series, real life marriages are tests in unexpected ways. What would you do? Should this marriage be saved?

This one is about a spouse with Alzheimer's:

Spouse with Alzheimer�s

In this marriage, a man is getting worn down with the care-taking of his wife who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. His family, concerned for his well-being, is encouraging him to let her go. What do you think he should do?

Last edited by Lori - Marriage; 10/16/12 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
This is a tough one, Lori. I think this man needs help from others in order to care for his wife, whether that be from professionals coming into the home for some time during the day, or placing her in a facility, depending on how far along her condition is. I applaud his love and devotion to his wife, but I think he is mentally and physically exhausted, which could lead to a decline in his own health.

I was a full time caregiver for my intimate partner and I know how exhausting it can be. It is not the same situation at all, but I know sometimes you just need a break so you can rest. I think the man needs help, and then he can make decisions that are best for him when he has a clear head.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Thanks, Debbie, for your great opinion. smile

What about those other situations? What about the husband whose wife cannot provide sexual intimacy due to her health condition? Do you think it is acceptable for him to find it elsewhere while remaining married and "otherwise faithful" to her?

I
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I
This is a very tough situation, Lori. The man has to take care of himself, too, in order to able to take care of his spouse. He needs people around him, so that he can think of his options. It's a sad but true love story.

About the other man..who prefers to have an affair in order to be able to stay married with his wife..I just can't accept that behaviour. I can udnerstand the difficulty of his situation but he's basically cheating on her. This made me ask, is sex really that important? As you said, isn't marriage 'for better or for worse'?

I believe that men are not as strong as women to deal with tough situations. There are so many examples of men who are getting a divorce right after their spouses diagnosed with a condition. It's just sad and all I can say is 'they are just men'.

Great article, Lori!

Inci Yilmazli
Chinese Culture Editor
M
M
The "for better or for worse" phrase has taken on a different meaning here, but I guess there are still guys out there who willingly take their vows seriously and undertake to fulfill them to the greatest extent. Difficult to be judgmental here...

I
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I
I was not trying to be judgmental here. Of course there are still men out there who would take their vows seriously. However, in these kind of situations, mostly we hear about men turning their backs on their spouses regarding sex. What do you think?

Inci Yilmazli
Chinese Culture Editor
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I do believe there are men out there who take their vows seriously and would not cheat or bail out of a marriage no matter what. Unfortunately in my experience, even some of the nice guys will cheat even when they are not rejected in the bedroom. A lot of men don't know how to rein in their sexuality even though they have chosen to be in committed relationships. Not all men of course, but many nonetheless.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
F
F
Hi Lori, I think both men need some counseling to assist their mental health and make the right decisions. I agree that it isn't right for a man or woman to abandon their spouse when they are ill, whether in divorce or seeking sexual pleasure. My Dad was in a nursing home for 3 years before he died. He was declining physically mostly. My Mom stayed by his side and visited him every day. I'm sure it was a very hard thing for her to deal with, but I praise her faithfulness and love for my father. You don't hear much of that kind of dedication anymore. But, everyone has to make the decision that is right for them and feel good about it.

K
K
Hi Lori, As A person who is going thru divorce because of a health issue... I struggle to understand where the committment was..... I guess my problem is ( since I am the one with the health issue ) IF the tables were turned..... I would of stayed commentted..... I just couldnt leave them hanging and dealing with the health issue all alone..... To me its about committment... I was on dialysis for several years and now transplanted....Now he wants a divorce....."Hello"

F
F
Sorry to hear that Ketah. If he wants a divorce not really much you can do if he won't agree to counseling. I'm going through divorce too and it really stinks! I'm the one that left because of abuse, but it's dragging on and he won't agree to anything. I hope things go more smoothly for you and that you find peace and contentment. May the Lord bless you with happiness and a partner that will be faithful to his commitments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.