Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
ashjoielee, johnnie55, uveuleurz, Noitartst, KAMI
57306 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57306 Members
417 Forums
113279 Topics
803675 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 578
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 369
Beetlemess 279
Jana - Creativity Editor 263
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 81
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 54
Nancy Roussy 53
Linu 47
Sandra Investing/HFinance 46
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 ... 34 35 >
Topic Options
#787943 - 10/15/12 10:24 PM Agora of Buddhism
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Loc: Mont Tremblant,quebec Can
To all or none,

All of us make discoveries that we would like to share with someone,these discoveries are not long enough to make a new topic.So I thought,why not make a place where new findings in
buddhism are made and shared.

1- We suffer because we do not have enough compassion.
2-The moment we have a lot of compassion ,there is no suffering anymore.
3-Kshanti Paramita( perfections) is the capacity of enbracing everyone,everything,you do not exclude anyone.
4-We have to use our free will to organise our life.
5- Living Mindfully, helping to build brotherhood/sisterhood,
becomes a refuge for others,this brings you a lot of Joy,a lot of happiness.That is it for today.

Add Agora of Buddhism to Twitter Add Agora of Buddhism to Facebook Add Agora of Buddhism to MySpace Add Agora of Buddhism to Del.icio.us Digg Agora of Buddhism Add Agora of Buddhism to Yahoo My Web Add Agora of Buddhism to Google Bookmarks Add Agora of Buddhism to Stumbleupon Add Agora of Buddhism to Reddit
#787993 - 10/16/12 03:10 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
What a great idea Loong. For myself, I would add on to #2 to say that compassion and self-compassion go together. As we develop compassion for others, we also develop compassion for ourselves. Whatever we cannot feel compassion for in others, is usually something in ourselves that we also have difficulty accepting. So accepting ourselves and accepting others go hand in hand, and compassion for ourselves and compassion for others do too. This is something I have come back to over and over in my own lessons on the path.
Blog: Mommy Mystic

Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Twitter Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Facebook Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to MySpace Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Agora of Buddhism Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Stumbleupon Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Reddit
#788128 - 10/17/12 12:27 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
7- Lisa's comment
8-How many holy words you say,how many acts you speak of .
They are worthless if you do not act on them.
9-Renounce violence and practice Compassion.
10- The 4 elements of true love are: Maitri/Metta/loving kindness
Karuna Compassion.Mudita/Joy,and upekshm-Equanimity.
11- If you are inhabited by the energy of Mindfulness You are
acting like a Buddha, you are speaking like a Buddha,you are
thinking like a Buddha.
That is Buddhahood inside of you ,that is something you can
experience.IT IS not a theory.

Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Twitter Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Facebook Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to MySpace Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Agora of Buddhism Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Stumbleupon Add Re: Agora of Buddhism to Reddit
#788807 - 10/21/12 09:16 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

12_During the forthy-five years of his ministry'the Bhuddha always tried to help other
people to wake up'to be mindful.

He always thaught,that the path to of Mindfulness'concentation,and insight is
the path of liberation'the path to Happiness.

#788809 - 10/21/12 09:19 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none'

this is my first post with my tablet!
Great.

#788841 - 10/22/12 12:24 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

That's great about your tablet Loong. Sorry I have not been here, we had guests this weekend. I wanted to comment on your statement about Buddhahood being inside of us, not a theory. To me this is one of the most important insights, that I return to over and over to on my path. There are so many Buddhist sutras, teachings, books, and practices. We can easily get caught up in the intellectual debate of them. And I actually love to discuss and write about Buddhist teaching and ideas. But in the end, the path is about our own realization of truth, and what aids that. That is all that matters.

#788843 - 10/22/12 12:34 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none.

Never,never ,been happy,joyfull,blissfull than right now,I wish

you all the same and more.

loongdragon

#788847 - 10/22/12 12:50 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
ancientflaxman Offline
Parakeet

Loc: in the middle of Minnesota
Loong, you wrote;
1- We suffer because we do not have enough compassion.
2-The moment we have a lot of compassion ,there is no suffering anymore.
3-Kshanti Paramita( perfections) is the capacity of enbracing everyone,everything,you do not exclude anyone.
4-We have to use our free will to organise our life.
5- Living Mindfully, helping to build brotherhood/sisterhood,
becomes a refuge for others,this brings you a lot of Joy,a lot of happiness.That is it for today.

Loong, I don't believe that any within my family, with the exception of myself, have ever had any dealings with the teachings of Buddhism. When I look at yours and Lisas writings however I find a such similarities between us that it makes me wonder if somehow they came from the same origin. I know that we were very familiar with ancient Egyptian mysticism and the Druidic cultures but not anything from the orient. Maybe you or Lisa could shed some light on this???? dave

#788868 - 10/22/12 03:25 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Ancientflaxman,

Dear Dave,I know nothing of the ancient Egyptian culture and spirituality.I hope you beleive in re-birth.In re-bith .many hundred lives could have been passed on to the Orient,where
Sages ,Sadhus,Buddhists etc from their past karmas could have been inspired by the Egyptians.Nothing is gained ,nothing is lost.

Also,South American Mayans wore the same hats as the Tibetans.

How many thousands of miles apart is that?

I am simply a buddhist ,a very simple one.What I wrote ,is the only way or connection I can see.

With deep Respect
_/\_
loongdragon

#788906 - 10/22/12 08:04 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
ancientflaxman Offline
Parakeet

Loong, I believe totally in rebirth, also in the continual rejuvenation of the mind. We have never believed in death other than to say that the end of a thing is simply a beginning.

My very good friend is a Buddhist Shaolin Kungfu instructor who one time saved my life. After the rest of my elders had moved on I felt very isolated. He showed me an acceptance and kindness that helped to restore my life at a time when I was very vulnerable.

I appreciate your teaching abilities Loong. They are a vehicle for healing. Thank you! _/\_ dave

#789154 - 10/23/12 04:24 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: ancientflaxman]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

AncientFlaxman, Some do believe that teachings of enlightenment passed through several different cultures, passing orally down from generation to generation, and then getting named different 'isms' depending on who the root teacher was. Certainly that is likely, based on how human history works in general. But I think it's also true that different people throughout history have simply come upon the same truths in vastly different cultures and times. Certain things are simply part of our common human experience and essence, and when we dig deep - as the great seekers everywhere have always done- we discover them. And these transcend 'isms.'

Edited by Lisa - Buddhism (10/23/12 04:25 PM)

#789175 - 10/23/12 04:49 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
ancientflaxman Offline
Parakeet

Lisa, for that I am more than grateful!! Does it matter how we get what we need as long as we get it despite the origin or ism?????? dave

Edited by ancientflaxman (10/23/12 04:54 PM)

#789227 - 10/23/12 10:25 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

21-With the energy of mindfulness,our feet become the Buddha's feet.To generate the energy of mindfulness is not difficult.The practice of mindful breathing generates the energy of mindfulness.And with that power,that energy of mindfulness,we empower our feet,and our feet become the Buddha's feet.When you walk with the feet of the Buddha,the place you walk is the
Buddha Land.

this is a text by TNH Mahayana style.

#789229 - 10/23/12 10:33 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

22- The Buddha loved walking.In his era there were no busses cars etc.Buddha walked for 45 years visiting 14 to 15 countries
while walkingin ancient India and Nepal.Of course the Buddha enjoyed sitting meditation,but he also enjoyed walking meditation.

23- today received another book by Thich Nhat Hanh.Title is :
The Miracle Of Mindfulness.

#789414 - 10/24/12 10:31 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

24- Today ,I realised.that every moment that I live,I am living it,intertwined with the rest of the Universe,we age together,some suffer others live ablissful life,some die some are born.Re-birth happens all around the world at every moment.
Already all that I wrote ,is gone and relived differently.I am maybe 5 minutes older,and I wish smile wiser.

#789422 - 10/24/12 10:51 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

25- to all or none,remember that Lisa theBuddhism editor,wrote a
great e-book that you can buy for,hold on to your hats: 0.99cents
I dowmloaded it printed it,and read it ,It is now in my library
with books from other great thinkers.Don't miss it.....

#789502 - 10/25/12 01:18 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

26- to our visitors,if you have questions,however simple they may be,this is the place to ask them.

#789631 - 10/26/12 09:09 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

27- Today,I lived something I had lived once before.Sitting at
McDonald's where I go every day to see friends,but before I
listen to Mantras and read about buddhism.I was listening at the Oneness mantra,eyes closed,volume high,and all of a sudden ,
I felt myself ,like going,almost falling off my chair.When I opened my eyes,everything in front of me was so clear.I resisted,I do not know what would have happened.This mantra brings me to another level,when I listen to it.Like right now.
28-The practice of mindfulness helps us to become a Buddha in the
here and the Now.

#789898 - 10/28/12 07:20 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

29 - We are all connected to each other and everything beyond words.
This is something I rediscover over and over for myself, both in relationship to others (through my emotions) and in meditation or mindfulness, when we have these moments of clarity and open to feeling connected, rather than separated from our surroundings and each other. Such a beautiful thing. And related to that...
30 - We are each born and die every moment. We are always arising and fading away, arising and fading away, like the surf, or each of our thoughts...

#789942 - 10/29/12 12:27 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

31-Vap Poya day is the full-moon of October. This holy day celebrates theend of the Bhikkhu's three months rains retreat and marks the Kathinamonth of robes , where lay people donate a set of robes to the Sangha. This also celebrates the day that Buddha began to teach the Abhidhamma!(Theravada)
32-loved your #30.

#789949 - 10/29/12 01:32 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

33-Equality,compassion,loving kindness.

#789985 - 10/29/12 04:26 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

34-Truth the great Liberator ,exist only in the Now,of each person's thoughts.What is my truth might not be your truth in this instant,but eventually ,the real truth shall prevail.Truth is also the capacity to think,say act,in Mindfulness in a Now.
Not everyone can do that. It depends on the spiritual evolution of said individual.

#790113 - 10/29/12 10:32 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

35-Sentient beings,can be carriers of karmas,so that is why,I live in the country,and all we see is dead deers inpick-ups.That is why,i cannot even see a domestic dog or cat.All sentient beings should live their lives free.A golden cage is still a cage
a withdrawal of the primary right of all living beings.FREEDOM.
I will not make friends with this comment.I understand people that are lonely and have pets.Still all these sentient beings,
should be free,to suffer or be happy in nature,where the Universe
intended them to be.

#790825 - 11/02/12 11:19 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

36-I have so much "stuff" to share,but I do not want to invade the Buddhism section.What Lisa and I ,(speaking for her), here,
is to let the visitors ,members to digest what is actually existing.The second book I bought by TNH,is much simpler in it's writing.It is a book that I recommend to people that have a basic knowledge on Buddhism.Just a suggestion,Lisa is the Editor,
myself just one of her students.
The name of the Book is The Miracle of Mindfulness.

#790831 - 11/03/12 12:08 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

37-just received this from my Bhikkhu in Sri-Lanka;
The five ways of removing irritating annoyance:
Bhikkhus, there are these five ways of removing annoyance, by which any
irritation can be entirely removed by a Bhikkhu, when it arises in him.
What are these five ways?
1: Friendliness can be maintained towards an irritating person or state..
2: Understanding can be undertaken towards an irritating person or state..
3: On-looking Equanimity can be kept towards an irritating person or state..
4: One can forget and ignore the irritating person, mental or physical state..
5: Ownership of Kamma of the irritating person can be reflected upon thus:
This good person is owner of his actions, inherit the result his actions, is
indeed born of his actions and only he is responsible for his actions be they
good or bad. This too is how annoyance with the irksome can be instantly
removed. These are the five ways of removing annoyance, and by which any
irritation can be entirely removed in a friend, exactly when it arises...
Anguttara Nikāya V 161

#791109 - 11/05/12 01:47 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

38-Buddhas are all those countless persons who have obtained enlightenment,then many have sat on the very spot I sit on nowTNH
Sitting on the same spot as a Buddha gives rise to happiness and sitting in mindfulness means itself to have become a Buddha.The poet Ngu-yen Cong Tru experienced the same thing when he sat dowm on a certain spot,and suddenly saw others had sat on the same spot countless ages ago,and how in ages to come others would also come to sit there:

On the same spot I sit today
Others came,in ages past,to sit.
One thousand years ,still others will come.
Who is the singer ,who is the listener?
That spot and the minutes he spent there became a link in eternal reality.

loong's humble comment:never forget that our presence on this blue planet ,is just the continuation of hundreds,thousands,
that came before us,and after us.We just are a continuum of Karmas
all intertwined in the universe,each one part of the other,like the grains of sand on a beach

#791110 - 11/05/12 01:52 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

39-Never but never forget that inside of each human and sentient being is a Buddha waiting to appear.Take care of your body and Mind,also show infinite love to all sentient beings.

#791361 - 11/06/12 05:46 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Originally Posted By: loongdragon
39-Never but never forget that inside of each human and sentient being is a Buddha waiting to appear.Take care of your body and Mind,also show infinite love to all sentient beings.

Hear, hear!!

#791752 - 11/07/12 10:49 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

40-Mindfulness is the Miracle,by which,we master,and restore ourselves.

WHenever your Mind becomes scattered,use your breath as the means to take hold
On your mind again

#792032 - 11/09/12 07:05 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

41-ONLY this actual moment is life.

#792038 - 11/09/12 07:19 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

42-Concentration power is the strength which comes from practicing Mindfulness.

#792095 - 11/09/12 09:11 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

43-Every object of the mind is itself mind.ln Buddhism,we call the objects of mind
theDharmas.Dharmas are usually grouped into 5categories.
1-bodily and physical forms
2-feelings
3-perceptions
4mental functionnings
5-consciousness

These 5 cathegories are called the :The five aggregates.

Loong

#792096 - 11/09/12 09:17 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I think 43 has so many levels to it, and is where our practice really deepens. At first when we begin to practice mindfulness, we tend to judge our thoughts and emotions as 'good' and 'bad' - the ones we think we should change or get rid of and the ones we accept. As we continue on the path we begin to deepen our view to realize ALL our thoughts and emotions are objects of the mind, and that even includes our ideas about enlightenment and spirituality itself. Then we can really settle into a new kind of openness that allows us to experience reality directly. Before that, we are blocking it in some way, even if it's with 'positive' thoughts.

#792142 - 11/10/12 06:11 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

45- The words quoted were from TNH book called The Miracle of
Mindfulness

#792314 - 11/11/12 07:19 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

46-I see that if one does not know how to die,one can hardly,know how to live-because death,is a part of life...

#792451 - 11/13/12 12:45 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

47- Just read that some people died ,not wanting to leave behind their pets.If one wants to attain Nirvana,no fetters or attachments must remain.

I for myself ,love animals more than humans.Imagine the attachment of the dead people for an animal .One chooses to die
with it's pet!

#792452 - 11/13/12 12:58 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

48-In The Meditation on Compassion,it is written,

Perfect in all merits,beholding all sentient beings with Compassionate eyes,making the ocean of blessings limitless.Before this one ,we should incline.Practice looking at all beings with the eyes of compassion: This is called The Meditation on compassion.

Loong's comment: Compassion and fetters are total opposites.One
can love a sentient being ,but without the
attachment,attachment creates craving ,craving
creates suffering.So people are so attached that they die with their pets!Which in reality was a source of some happiness and also suffering

Choose.

#792542 - 11/13/12 07:36 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

49-When your mind is liberatedyour heart floodswith Compassion:Compassion
For yourself,for having undergone countless sufferings because you were not yet able
to releive yourself of false views,hatred,ignorance,and anger;and compassion for others because they do not yet see and so are still imprisoned by false views,hatred,ignorance and continue to create suffering for themselves and for others.

Text by TNH.

Loong,s comment.Compassion when compassion becomes part of your way of
living,compassion for others does so also.Those that have not yet attained such a
distance on their path,will suffer for not being able to share such compassion with others.

#792619 - 11/13/12 11:51 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

50-From my sri-lankan Bhikkhu
Friends:Thought solidifies into kammically effective behaviour!The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests into acted out behaviour!
The deed develops into habit, which hardens into deep-grown stubborn character!
So watch the thought and its ways with care and let it spring from infinite friendliness;
Born out of kindness for all sentient beings. Ignorance leads to ego, Ego leads selfishness,
Selfishness leads to aversion, Aversion leads to anger,
Anger leads to hatred, Hatred leads to Suffering� The creator of man was greed, For countless lives this was his drive.
With Ignorance at its helm, it grows! No end for it until he knows...Therefore: Watch the Thought Manifestation!

#792761 - 11/14/12 11:50 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

51- Hate, resentment,are tools from Mara.
Love,comprehension,compassion are tools from Buddha.
One must choose what he puts in his tool-box!

#792766 - 11/15/12 12:04 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

52- Everyone,whomever he/she may be is a teacher put on your path
to learn.Just spoke with someone from Amazon,he was so happy to speak to me.He had never met a Buddhist,and he had just finished
reading his first book on Dharma.What surprised him is the calmness in my voice, the way I answered his questions.The non-agressiveness of my tone.I bought a book and due to the seller's
way of doing business I shall not have it Before one or two months.I usually buy my Buddhist books in england at the same shipping price but get them within 5 days.Compassion,comprehension,lack of madness.is part of what the dharma shows us.

#793649 - 11/20/12 08:25 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

53-I thought about the garden tended by a monk living in Mindfulness.His flowers are
Always fresh and green ,nourished by the peace and joy which flow from his mindfulness.One of the anciants said,

When a great Master is born,the water in the river turns clearer and the plants grow
Greener.

Edited by loongdragon (11/21/12 12:54 AM)

#793685 - 11/21/12 12:55 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

54- Half smile ,through whatever you are living ,in the Now,and the next Now and the next.....

#793903 - 11/23/12 12:40 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

55-Know that to become a Buddha and save all beings.can only be realized on the foundation of the pure peace of the Present moment.

#794030 - 11/24/12 01:59 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

56- For those taken by hate or resentment,meditate until every approach and hatred disappears,and compassion and love rise like a well of fresh water within you.Vow to work for awareness and reconciliation by the most silent and unpretentious means possible.

#794223 - 11/26/12 07:00 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

57 - We are all of us special, and none of us.

#794414 - 11/28/12 07:41 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

58- In the Spirituality section a thread on the colour Green is
on.In Buddhism,the color Green is also important in the Mahayana
lineage."The Green Tara" whom by the way is Lisa Erikson"s Avatar
This Goddess ,is the mother of all Buddha's.

#794689 - 11/30/12 12:02 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

59-The Four Noble Truths are ,I believe,the core of Buddhism.
Humans suffer......This is the first truth.
Out of compassion,Ihave been sitting in a restaurant for hours,listening to a woman
Who is in human suffering right now.

Iam so glad to have learned Compassion.Compassion has no limit.It also helps developping Metta.Humans suffer,it is their fault.
Ithank Buddhism for such gifts.

Loong

#794868 - 12/02/12 12:25 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

60- Started reading a book recommanded by lisa Erickson'

Old path white clouds,6oo pages.Iam in the third chapter and already been flaffergasped.What a book.Bought it 2nd hand for $3.84 on amazon.

Thanks lisa

#795173 - 12/04/12 02:14 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

61- Idle chatter.one of the vows pronounced by monks.I beleive applies to everyone.The text that follows was sent to me by Bhikkhu Samahita from sri-lanka:

Friends:Empty Gossip & Void Babble Infects & Spoil any Social Sphere!

Once in Savatthi the Blessed Buddha said this:
What, householder friends, is the Dhamma explanation befitting for oneself?
Here, householder friends, any Noble Disciple reflects thus: If someone were to
to address me with gossip, idle chatter, empty babble, hearsay, and void prattle,
that would neither be pleasing nor agreeable to me. Similarly, if I were to address
another with gossip, idle chatter, empty babble, hearsay, and void prattle, that
would neither be pleasing, nor agreeable, nor acceptable to that other being either!
What is displeasing and disagreeable to me, is also displeasing and disagreeable
to any other being too. How can I disturb & bore another being with what provoke
annoy and exasperate myself? Having reflected repeatedly thus, then gradually:
1: He/she will carefully avoid all gossip, idle chatter, empty babble, & void hearsay...
2: He/she will persuade others also to avoid all pointless good-for-nothing speech...
3: He/she will praise speaking well formulated reasoned facts worth remembering...
In this very way, is this advantageous verbal behaviour purified in 3 aspects!

Loong's comment:If this was applied in everyday living.by anyone
living by any government.PEACEat last.

See how hard it is to go through a day without infringing the 3
rules?

With loving kindness

#795174 - 12/04/12 02:22 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

62- In buddhism for the leities there are 5 precepts .One is to
never lie.

TRUTH always TRIUMPHS!
from Bhikkhu Samahita PLUS 2 days ago
Truthful Honesty is the 7th Mental Perfection. Like the moon remains in its fixed orbit around the earth, even so should one stay and stick with the truth, thereby insisting on honesty. This guarantee induces trust, confidence and assured certainty in the mind, as well as in the society. You can play with your drama, but not with your karma..

Enjoy

#795221 - 12/04/12 09:22 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

63 - This from the documentary I just reviewed, "The Buddhist has to free himself of his Buddhist self, the Christian has to free himself of his Christian self, to the extent these are constructs of the mind."

We must drop even the constructs of mind that our spiritual practice rests upon in order to move deeper. These constructs are temporary - like training wheels on a bike. Eventually we do not need them any more.

#795329 - 12/06/12 12:50 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

64-Friends:How to reach the Certainty of Final Knowledge?

The Blessed Buddha once said:
Bhikkhus, there are these 4 Foundations of Awareness.
What four? The ever calmly self-reminding awareness of:1: Body is just a mass of disgusting impurities...
2: Feelings are only a repeating emotional noise...
3: Mind is simply a conditioned set of weird moods...
4: Phenomena are mentally baked and faked appearances...While always acutely alert and clearly comprehending, thereby removing all lust,
desire, envy, jealousy, frustration, & any kind of discontent rooted in this world...
When, Bhikkhus, these 4 Foundations of Awareness have been developed, trained
& well established, one of two fruits may be expected: Either Final Knowledge in
this very life, or if there is residual clinging, the exalted state of Non-Return...!by BS/loong

#795330 - 12/06/12 12:56 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

65- regarding Lisa's last post,read the same text,somewhere.
However I do beleive that before removing my training wheels,
sufficient knowledge ,must be acquired,just like before removing training wheels enough practice with them on is necessary.

#795526 - 12/07/12 07:47 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

66-Mindfulness is striving to live in the present,the now,the reality of that moment.

#795788 - 12/12/12 12:53 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

67-JOY,by B.S.

Friends:

Unselfish Joy! How to Rejoice in Other's Success:

Mutual Joy (Muditā) is developed by seeing that:
If only happy at one's own success, such egoistic Joy is rare and limited!
If happy at all other's success also, this Joy is more frequent & even infinite!
By observing that:
It starts with basic sympathy, develops into acceptance, genuine approval,
& appreciation. It culminates in rejoicing altruistic gladness by directing
mind to initiation, much cultivation and boundless expansion of Mutual Joy!
By knowing that:
Mutual Joy is the proximate cause of sweet, fully satisfied contentment!
Lack of mutual joy is therefore the proximate cause of discontentment!
Mutual Joy instantly eliminates acidic jealousy, grudge and green envy!
Mutual Joy is an infinite, truly divine, elevating and sublime mental state!
Mutual Joy is 1 of the 4 mental states of the Brahma-devas (Brahmavihāra)

The Blessed Buddha pointed out:
If it were impossible to cultivate this Good, I would not tell you to do so!

Let there be Happiness. Let there be open Freedom.
Let there be Peace. Let there be Bliss from cultivating this.
Let there be Understanding of this mental state of Mutual Joy!

Words of Buddha.

#796159 - 12/14/12 11:39 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

68- again

#797375 - 12/22/12 01:10 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

69-The Reality of your entire life is contained in this instant.

#797515 - 12/23/12 05:46 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

69-Not having lived christmas for more than 30 years, even if you do not want to
Take part of it,Everything everywhere is crammed with the event?

This false sense of love and generosity,could be transformed into REAL

love,generosity,loving kindness, compassion all year round.

For that to happen.One has to take a fork in his path of life.

Think less of money,power,more of your children.

There is a Zen saying that wether you have a 500,000 house or a 100,000

It is not the walls you live in but the empty space!

I lived 22 years in a plywood shack,where I live,we get -30. Degrees sometimes

-40 .That is where I discovered myself ,oh I forgot,7 winters the water froze.oo
Total happiness.Remember not much is needed to be happy.Just learn to live in the now.

#797523 - 12/23/12 08:56 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

70-Openmindness,to all ,what you read in the Buddhism section.
may at first sound strange,weird.Meditate on it or throw it away.

You see with my openmindness with Lisa Moderator of Buddhism,I have learned more in 6 months than ,in 10 years before by myself.Let
your mind open like a Lotus to be filled with bits and pieces of
love,compassion,comprehension of yourself and others.

#797896 - 12/27/12 07:37 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

71-Nelson Mendella 94,of of 20 th century's greatest man just
left hospital,in the last few days.He is o.k.What kept him alive for so long? Has to be love for his countrymen,his determination
for peace.May you be well Mr Mandella.for few more NOWS.

#798195 - 12/29/12 02:12 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

72-Text by Banthe
Compassion is the Good Core of Buddhism!
Overcome the angry by friendliness,
overcome the wicked by goodness,
overcome the miser by generosity,
overcome the liar by truth...
Dhammapada 223

He who neither punishes, nor makes others punish,
He who neither steals, nor makes others steal,
who in friendly goodwill shares with all that lives,
such kind gentle one meets no enmity anywhere...
Itivuttaka 27

Train yourself in doing only what is good,
that will last and bring great happiness!
Cultivate generosity, a peaceful living,
and a mentality of infinite friendliness...
Itivuttaka 16

loong the messanger

#798211 - 12/29/12 06:59 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

#798229 - 12/29/12 12:27 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

74- Never forget that trees are sentient beings too.Sentient means can sense.Where I live there are trees that give us their sap every spring.If this is not a living being,I wonder what is.

By the way ,what i 'love' the most on this planet is Trees,especially The Wheeping White Birch.

#798495 - 12/31/12 06:24 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

75-The Last Relinquishment:

When ignorance of the 4 Noble Truths finally fully evaporates,
One no longer clings to any sense pleasure, any views, or any rules and rituals!
One no longer clings to any idea of a self, I, Me, Ego, Soul or Identity at all...
When one does not cling, one is not agitated! One remains imperturbable...
When one is not perturbable, one attains the state of Nibbāna right there!
One then understands: Rebirth is ended, this Noble life has been completed,
What had to be done is done, there is no more relapsing into any state of being
text by Banthe
loong the messanger.

#798831 - 01/03/13 02:10 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

76-To those who do not know I suffer from severe brain damage,due
to,you will not beleive this.

36 years ago I quit drinking and mixing it with valium.5 years ago ,I started having memory episodes.Had all the scans available taken.Verdict ,atheriosclorosis of the brain accompanied by part of my brain deatroyed ,black neurons ,grey neurons.

So imagine it appeared 36 years after.So be careful with what you you shove down your throat or your arms.It will get you
eventually. My brain has been reduced by at least 50 % memory wise. My main loss is cognitive,i almost do not remember my past.
So be good to yourself'

#798832 - 01/03/13 03:43 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

77- Text by Banthe.
Gracious is Gratitude:

The Blessed One, is sympathetic, is seeking our well-being, teaches us this
Dhamma out of sympathy, then you should train yourself in being in harmony,
cordial, and without conflict and train in yourselves cultivation of all the 37
fine mental qualities: The 4_Foundations_of_Awareness, the 4 right efforts,
the 4_Feet_of_Force, the 5 Abilities, 5 powers, the 7 Links to Awakening,
& the Noble_8-Fold_Way. Majjhima Nikāya 103

A Tathagata is worshipped, honoured, respected, thanked & shown gratitude
by any follower, who keeps practicing the Dhamma in accordance with true
Dhamma, who keeps practicing masterfully, who lives in and by the Dhamma!
Digha Nikāya 16

loong

#798914 - 01/03/13 01:04 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none
The word Thatagata is the word used by the Buddha (Theravada)when he refers to
Himself

Loong

#799100 - 01/04/13 06:30 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

79- words by Banthe:
When a Bhikkhu is devoted to this recollection of generosity, he becomes
ever more intent on generosity, his favourite becomes non-greedy charity,
he acts with kind, noble, & loving liberality, and he gains a fine lion-heart.
He enjoys much happiness and gladness. And if he penetrates no higher, he
is at least headed for a happy destiny.

For those who do not know the sense of the word Bhikkhu,it means:
An ordained monk over 20 years old.

#799104 - 01/04/13 07:59 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

80-In Tibetan the word for body is,lu~ which means "something you leave behing .!

#799159 - 01/05/13 06:09 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

81- Deception has nothing to do with comprehension!

#799304 - 01/06/13 08:46 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

82- Text By Banthe,

Simple core 1,2,3 steps =>Success!The Blessed Buddha once said:
Sabbapāpassa akaranam,
kusalassa upasampadā,
sacittapariyodapanak -
etam buddhāna sāsanam.

1: Harmless, 2: Good and 3: Pure:
1: Avoiding all Harm
2: Doing only Good
3: Purifying own Mind
So all Buddhas teach!
Dhammapada 183

#799991 - 01/10/13 08:41 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

83-Textby Banthe:

Friends:

Imperturbable Calm!

Knowing that the other person is angry,
The one who remains just aware and calm
acts in and for his own best interest,
and for the others' interest, too!
Samyutta Nikāya I, 162

Exalted in mind, just open, and clearly aware,
Is the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful,
He has no sorrows!
Udana IV,

Calm is his mind.
Calm is his speech.
Calm is his behaviour.
So is the tranquillity of one
freed by the insight of right
understanding...
Dhammapada 96

Loong the messanger

#800256 - 01/12/13 03:25 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

84-Craving leads to stress,stress leads to suffering

#800313 - 01/12/13 02:44 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

85- This was created hoping visitors or members would put their comments on a page.Were it for or against what was written.Never
happened except for Lisa,the Editor of the Buddhism section

Too bad

With respect for those who reads this thread.

loong

#800631 - 01/14/13 09:20 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

86-Text by Banthe---Mutual Joy cures all vicious Envy & Jealousy!

The dear companion can be the proximate cause for Mutual Joy, where one
rejoices in another being's success... One thus rejoicing in others fortune
is called a 'boon companion', for he is constantly glad: He laughs first and
speaks afterward! So he should be the first to be pervaded with gladness.
Or on seeing a dear person being happy, cheerful and glad, mutual joy can
be aroused thus: 'See this being is indeed glad! How good, how excellent!'
Just as one would be glad at seeing a dear and beloved person very happy,
exactly so does one pervade all other beings in all directions with mutual joy...
Rejoicing mutual joy can also be aroused by remembering other's happiness
in the past and recollecting the elated joy aspect in this way: 'In the past he
had great wealth, a great following and he was always glad'. Or mutual joy
can be aroused by apprehending the future glad aspect of his in this way:
'In the future he will again enjoy similar success and will go about in gold
palanquins, on the backs of elephants or on horseback'. Having thus aroused
mutual joy regarding a dear person, one can then direct the very same feeling
successively towards a neutral one, and gradually towards any hostile person.
Vbh 274, Vism I 316

loong

#800842 - 01/16/13 01:10 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

87 - The Buddhist path is walked from the inside out, not the outside in. It is not about following rules and ethical guidelines and getting rewarded for good behavior. It is about transforming our own hearts and minds, through the practices of compassion and inquiry. It is about the state of our awareness on a moment-by-moment basis. Sometimes, some 'rules' for living may help us in this transformation. Other times, they are not needed. We have to be honest enough with ourselves to know when we need them and when we do not.

#801189 - 01/17/13 01:56 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

88-To all or none,

This post is to apologise,for the errors ,i may do in spelling and especially,mames,like,Bodhidarma or others'.

Isuffer from cognitive memory dammage.So if you see an error
in one of my posts,pardon me.

I will start a list of usual words well written that I will keep
close to my computor.Again I apologise.

#801257 - 01/17/13 09:26 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

89-This is a Theravadin text,you do not have to be in accord,as always

Friends:

Breakthrough to the Truths Safeguards Against Downfall Rebirth!

The Blessed Gotama Buddha once explained:
Bhikkhus and friends, see this little bit of dust, I have taken up upon the nail of my
little-finger? What do you think is most: This tiny bit of dust or this great Planet Earth?
The Bhikkhus then responded: Venerable Sir, this great Planet Earth is much, much more,
incomparably more. This speck of dust is trifling, microscopic, & negligible in comparison.

The Blessed Gotama Buddha then pointed out:
Similarly & exactly so too, Bhikkhus, those who are reborn among human beings are few
and quite rare, beings reborn elsewhere, lower, as non-humans are much more numerous
and common. Why is it so? Because, Bhikkhus, they have not seen the 4 Noble Truths!
What four?
1: This is Suffering;
2: Craving is the Cause of Suffering;
3: No Craving is the End of Suffering;
4: The Noble 8-fold Way Ends all Suffering.
Therefore, Bhikkhus and friends, exertion should be made right Now to understand:
All This is Suffering; This Greedy Craving is the sole Cause of all Suffering; No Craving is
the End of Suffering; The Noble 8-fold Way Ends all Suffering. Therefore should effort
to fathom these 4 Noble Truths be made right NOW!

Comments:
Animals are much more common than humans (trillions of billions of insects and fish),
since this rebirth at this level is much more common! Similarly with ghosts, demons,
and hell beings. Downfall to these states are common, because evil and immoral actions
such as Killing, Stealing, Lying, Sexually Abusing, Drinking and Drugging are common!
Ethics is thus the core factor of creation and conditioning of any future being...
Banthe,

loong messanger

#801644 - 01/19/13 05:39 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

90- one million chinese children practicing Buddhist meditation

[url]http://youtu.be/jn_DSQ2HXCk[url]

#801913 - 01/22/13 12:17 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

91-Equanimity,by Banthe:Comments:
Non-involved and even Equanimity is a subtle form of happiness... By stabilization
it perfects and consummates all the other six links to awakening: Awareness,
Investigation, Energy, Joy, Tranquillity and Concentration. Equanimity is proximate
cause for knowing and seeing it, as it really is. Equanimity quenches any agitation!
When seeing and noting: 'All this is constructed, conditioned, coarse and transient!
But this state of serene equanimity is indeed exquisitely peaceful...', then instantly
ceases any arisen agreeable or nasty feeling, when Equanimity takes its stance...!

Loong's comment:To me Equanimity is the capacity of seeing things as they REALLY ARE.

#802202 - 01/23/13 11:46 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

92- Sometimes,old habits die hard.Detachment of these necessitates more work than others.Mara is a conning ennemy.

#802294 - 01/23/13 04:26 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

93 - "Only with the heart [can one] see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
This is not from a Buddhist text, but from The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry. I was reminded recently how true this is, and how the path of opening the heart is never done. We can always be surprised by the forces in us that rise up to try and stop it, out of fear or self-righteousness. Letting go and opening the heart is truly the path.

#802320 - 01/23/13 11:13 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

94= At 11.15 where I live it is outside -33 degrees not counting the chill factor.No suntan needed for tomorrow supposed to be much warmer -28......

#802337 - 01/24/13 08:14 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

95- Signs of the times.

minus 33 degrees outside,and a couple are doing all the recycling
bins for empty cans.I was looking outside the man was coming out of the uncyclable container stealing a bag .

#802492 - 01/24/13 09:17 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

96-The only thing we really have is nowness,is now.

#803279 - 01/29/13 08:49 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

97- Met an ex work friend yesterday.He is a complete atheist.
I was not trying to sell him any ideas.He kept coming up with citations from other atheists.So at one point ,I cut the conversation monologue and left him.
I found myself lucky to live what I am living now.
Yesterday on the "Bones" show,there were people preparing a person to die The Tibetan way.The researcher did not do his job well.The man in charge kept saying :Oh my god:
Bones,said if she died would like her body dismembered and left
on top of a mountain,for the birds and animals to feed.That is sometimes done in the Tibetan region.

#804144 - 02/02/13 06:32 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

98-My favorite words in Buddhism,are;Mind,Mindfulness,Impermanence,Samsara,a little more exotic ,Equanimity,--Then there is rebirth attachment,cravings,fetters,mara,Noble eighfold path,Enlightenment.If you know what each of these words mean you know what buddhism is about.

#804191 - 02/03/13 12:05 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

99 - And compassion.

#804297 - 02/04/13 09:44 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

100- Metta

#805131 - 02/07/13 11:03 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

101=In my case the hardest part and still is ,is to live in the now.Living in the Now,shall bring me more Mindfulness,and less dukkha,suffering.Just saying

#805588 - 02/11/13 03:10 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

102-
One day ,iwas searching for peace,Isat,and It sat on my knees.
Origin Zen mantra

#805591 - 02/11/13 03:14 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

103- in each test,do not look for the ennemy,but for the teacher
Origin Zen Mantra

#805966 - 02/13/13 03:59 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

104-just was in another part of Bellaonline,where a woman was surprised of having
episodes,of a form of beatitude,when she was in prayer ,deep contact with her God.
The more a human being,comes one with himself the more these episodes happen.
Buddha and Jesus had the same message, give,give,without expecting anything in return .However Jesus said give in the name of my father and you will be given tenfold.Buddha in his own way promised the same thing.That every giving seed will one day ,bloom, karma.
Namaste
Loong

#806259 - 02/15/13 02:22 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

105-This is perhaps the darkest and most disturbing aspect of modern civilisation-

Its ignorance and repression of who we really are.Sogyal Rinpoche

#806486 - 02/17/13 04:57 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

106-2 days ago, I get a phone call from an old friend.He wants to meet me.

However he is in a hurry.So we meet at my office,MCDonald's.
He just came back from a 2 months trip to Thailand,Laos,Myannmar.
He said in thailand ,you cannot feel any agressiveness,nor anger,smiles,everywhere smiles.He said you feel Zen even if you don't want to.Someone told him go up that road ,to the end.All there was ,was a shack with no modern facilities .At first heplanned to camp there3 days, Finally stayed 11days,

He said that when he was there he saw good monks and bad monks.The temples were incredible,specially the ones in the mountains.

He brought back for me,aBuddha,looks from laos or Thai
He travelled many thousand

miles ,and when he gives it to me ,breaks the tip of the
head.The little pieces were there,so I kind of glued them ,and brought it to a girlfriend that will restore it.That used to be my type of work ,but do not have the tools anymore.Also got a tin page separater from Laos.
Life is full of surprises.
Loong

Edited by loongdragon (02/17/13 05:04 PM)

#806524 - 02/17/13 10:08 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

107-Comments: Be realistic!
If one cannot be in company with one-self, then something must be wrong!
Any form of company will dissolve, since all meetings end in separation...
The ever socializing parrot-like personality cannot ever end suffering!
Only dead fish float with the stream!
Text by Banthe

Loongs comment:This e-mail I received by Banthe when printed takes 7 pages.He always has pictures or Illustations that I do not Know why ,I can't print.There were t least 6 short interventions like the one I chose.I am making a little book .with the 7 pages.Living alone.
loong

#806793 - 02/19/13 04:17 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

108- in another section of Bellaonline,someone,without knowing ,made me
a fantastic compliment.The person said ,not necessarely in these words:
We were talking about what we were attached to,the person said ,with loong
It does not count HE IS NOT ATTACHED TO ANYTHING.
This person doe not know ,how proud I was to read that.Proud being a big word.
My goal ,as a buddhist is to detach from everyting that could create craving,creating
Suffering,,and taking me away backwords towards my reaching enlightenmen

Thank you to that person

#807394 - 02/22/13 02:10 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

109- Many people ,believe that Confusius,was a great man.
He in his great wisdom,made classes in China and depending on your money ,you would have a certain rank.
Of the poors he said they were dogs and pigs.His worst doing,I have an exemple in front of me.A40 year old woman that can barely walk because her feet are atrophied,to meet the standard that Confusius had set,for woman.let us ay he set the lenght of the foot not to exceed a size 5.
All shoes in china wre made maximumsize 5.
So there have been since hundreds of million women ,walking with their toes under their feet to fit a size 5.
This is the first time ,I have seen a women that young with these feet.
She must have been born on a farm where modern ideas had not reached that region yet.
Oh the Vanity of one man .

#807612 - 02/23/13 10:42 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

That's interesting Loong, I did not know Confucious was responsible for bound feet. I think of it as much more of a Japanese tradition. That was a truly awful tradition. Although I don't blame Confucious entirely, even if he advocated it. Everyone is bound by their historical time period. Many great teachers and philosophers that have put forward great ideas that have helped advance the world in one way, have also supported ideas from their time period that were accepted that no seem appalling to us. For example, the founders of America that were slave-owners, or the antiquated attitudes towards women that Gandhi held. So it seems even visionaries can sometimes only see outside their time in one way, and may be limited in another way. We are all the product of our own historical time period to some extent.

#807660 - 02/24/13 02:54 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Lisa,

Through times the japanese,always copied the chinese.The writing,medecine,martial arts,
.The only unknown part of the japanese that science still does not know the origin is
their language.Japan was closed to outside civilisations for over a 1000 years.
They were many tribes speaking various dialect.
What is zen? You are the expert but,around 600 a.c.,a Daoist japanese monk met a chinese monk in China of the name of Chan.What ,I have been thaught,the mixing of the phylosophies gave Zen.
When a neophite like me studie Zen ,he sees quite a difference,from Zen to let us say Tibetan Buddhism's way of thinking.
Dear teacher,if I am wrong,please set me straight.

With respect
Loong the learner

#807775 - 02/25/13 09:22 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Lisa and all,

I did some more research on confusious.Lao Tsu and Buddhists ,were
not fond of his way of living.warring etc.

listen to this the size of the chinese woman foot was ....2 3/4 inch long.However I retract myself of him inventing this rule.
Loong

#807777 - 02/25/13 09:32 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Lisa and all ,

I was at the hospital all nite,because of a enflamed part of
my gut. They gave me pills to remove the pain ,and since I am allergig to Iodine,had to wait for an hour and a half ,so the pills given would neutralize the allergy to Iodine.I always wear a Mala and for the first time I did a mantra of 108 beads .
My mantra was simple,Buddha and the Universe.Also did Metta meditation as promised to Burt,Jilly and Lori.

People have no idea of the power of Buddhism. The hour and a half just zipped through.
I was never impatient,always smiling.

Thanks to Buddha and the Universe.
loong

#807811 - 02/25/13 11:28 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I'm sorry to hear about your hospital visit Loong, but glad that the it affirmed the power of metta and mala practice for you. I hope you are feeling better. Is this a chronic condition?

As for Confucious and Lao Tzu, yes the conflict of some aspects of their two philosophies fueled a lot of Chinese history. And I knew Chinese and Japanese customs were very entwined, but had forgotten about the Chinese feet binding. Now that I think of it though, I remember all the Chinese Empresses and their ladies did it too.

The history of Zen is very interesting. Chan (the Chinese version of Zen) developed in China as Buddhism and Taoism mixed, and then as it travelled to Japan it mixed with Shinto, the native religion there are the time, and Zen developed. There are several schools of Zen, two main ones, and they differ from each other in practice just as the 4 schools of Tibetan Buddhism do.

And you are right, Zen and Tibetan Buddhism are very different in some ways, particularly their rituals and aestehtics - Tibetan Buddhism tends to be very elaborate while Zen is very sparse. But they are both classified as Mahayana schools, because they are both grounded in the Lotus Sutra, and its teachings of mind, rather than philosophy. The idea of direct realization, and the centrality of the teacher-student relationship in bringing this about, and that this direct knowledge is the most important thing, and that anyone can achieve this, are all shared by both traditions and are Mahayana ideas. And of course the idea of the boddhisattva too.

#807817 - 02/25/13 11:40 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Lisa,

I have been playing you for awhile with my choices of texts expressing my desire for you to be MY teacher.I hope you will reconsider your previous decision.
I have listened to your radio interview.Liked it.
What I want or more wish for is a generally Mahayana teacher,Not necessarely just Tibetan or any lineage.One that has seen me grow,understands me.I am down on one knee now wink.If you rather answer through an e-mail it's ok with me.

My feminine side is well developped,does not always show,That is Why I would prefer A Woman Teacher.

Bowing to you
an humble loong

#807865 - 02/25/13 01:07 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi Loong, your request has touched my heart. I will contemplate and respond by email later this week. As you know though, my decline of this in the past was simply because I know that your intentions are very strong and I want to make sure you are with the best possible teacher for your own dharma. I take this role very seriously, and have high standards for it. It is possible to relay information and even energy and states of awareness through email and teleseminars and the like, and I have embraced them in my other teaching, but to truly work with someone the way a spiritual teacher should, I am not sure it can be done remotely. So I had hoped you would find someone locally who could fill that role for you.

#808148 - 02/27/13 12:36 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none.

Just to show the power of the Mind,just by saying ,I am loosing 10 pounds while rubbing by ex belly.
I have lost 17 pounds .withouth changing my eating habits.

This available to everyone, that really wants to loose weight.

This within 3 weeks to a month.

The Mind (rigpa) is to my beleif the main control of this living corpse.

Loong

#808150 - 02/27/13 12:40 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none
Do not confuse the Sem mind,with the Rigpa mind .I have written posts on this ,i beleive ,in The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying

loong
just a learner

#808971 - 03/01/13 03:55 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

For afew days ,a week,I will be in reflexion,regarding the path
I am presently walking.

_/\_

#809276 - 03/03/13 03:44 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
On the first of the month ,I wrote,that ,I would take a few days off.Afew days to try to calm the turmoil in my Mind (rigpa).
As I am reading on bardos,one definition of bardo , is when alive,turmoil sets in.

Since everything is impermanent,so will the turmoil be.!
I slowly am making order in what fits me and what does not fit me.

One of my friends in another group,told me why he disrobed after 2years as a Forest monk.I am using for now his method of making orderin my rigpa because it seems that sem is presently having fun.
Loong

#809932 - 03/06/13 01:01 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
In Mahayana Buddism,exists,Mantras.AMantra is the essence of sound,and the embodiment of the truth in the form of sound.Each syllable is impregnated with spiritual power,condenses a spiritual truth,and vibrates with the blessing of the
Speech of the buddhas.It is also said that the mind rides on the subtle energy of the breath,the PRANA which moves through and purifies the subtle channels of the body.So when you chant a mantra,you are charging your breath and energy with the energy
of the mantra,and so working directly on your mind and subtle body.

Definition by S.Rinpoche

I made a test once .I took my blood pressure ,then listened to a mantra..In only 5 to6 minutes,my artery pressure had gone down 11points,my vein pressure had gone gown by 7 points and my hearthbeat by 11 points.

So as you can see it really it ,,or they work.

Loong
Mahayana

#810531 - 03/11/13 01:24 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

tO ALL OR NONE.
Today was the most beautiful day of my life.

#811296 - 03/14/13 07:57 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Walking a path ,I thought I was ready for,has brought me to an unexpected place.Part of Mind (sem) has set in.Like I read in The Tibetan Book...... Sem is like a flame burning,and you put that flame in an open window.That is where I am in this instant.
There is a thing I call (Spiritual Pride),that is where I have been for quite awhile.
Trying to impress the gallery.Pushing myself too much.What has
perturbed me the most was the incapacity to understand The Heart
Sutra.I created this section ,for me and others to express what
is going on in their Buddhist Path.

loong

#811381 - 03/15/13 03:06 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loong, I so admire your honesty and willingness to share. It is an inspiration.

#811425 - 03/16/13 02:33 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none'

I go out of my seclusion ,once about every 2 to 3 weeks.
I go to a niteclub.I do not consume alcool or drugs,just coffee.
Tonite ,met a barmaid that was into Buddhism ,and spirituality.
We had great little discussions.She said that her living in the Now,people would not appreciate her willing to work on herself.
Same thing for me ,in my village .I am a weirdo.So it was great
meeting someone who understood me ,and she was glad too for the same reason.
Great evening.

loong

#811541 - 03/16/13 06:44 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

As warned by my Master/Teacher,There are so many lineages,with their own view on a subject You or I may be looking for.
Please do not do like me and PANIC,if at first glance you do not seem to comprehend,what you read.Settle down,meditate a bit,
light should appear.
In my case,wanting to know the basics of each Great Lineage,so as to share with you,and help me choose what path to walk.Made me
fall in many holes on my path.For the times I have panicked ,I apologize to you.

loong

#811694 - 03/18/13 01:46 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To my Teacher,

After meditating a bit, I realized,that the subjects of bardos,
dzochen and others,are all from the Tibetan lineage.
I was not attracted to these subject,at that time,I knew nothing of The Tibetan Buddhism.When I started reading The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying,a total new world opened to me.
I had just ,for awhile,finished the world of Thich Nhat Hanh.
I am a learner, Thera,Mahayana,Vajrayana 3 worlds together and at the same time ,different.
Thank you for your patience with my ignorance.

Your student
loong

#812508 - 03/21/13 07:31 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

The Stilling of Craving Ceases all Suffering!

What, Ānanda, is the experience of Ceasing?
When a Bhikkhu retires to the forest, to the root of a tree, or an empty hut
& thinks thus: This is Peace, this is sublime, namely, the stilling of all mental
construction, the ending of all kammic formation, the evaporation of all fuel
for becoming, the ceasing of all craving, the relinquishing of all by detachment,
cessation, Nibbāna Then this very reflection itself is the experience of Ceasing ...

Some Simple Comments:
Ceasing means complete ending of & total absence of all greed, hate & ignorance!
Cultivating reflection on ceasing reduces all desire for initiation, and origination..

Simile:
Greed, lust, & desire fades away slowly like the colours of cloth hanging in the sun!

Text By Banthe sri-lankan Bhikkhu

loong the messenger

#812844 - 03/23/13 10:56 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

My way of seeing progress in my Buddhism.is getting more and more detached of everything,everyone.I have worked hard ,lots left to be done ,but I feel more and more the Emptiness of attachments cravings ,fetters.They are leaving ,being only creations of my Mind,sem.If they were created ,they can be destroyed,by my Mind (rigpa) The real mind to me.

The only craving that remains present,is not necessarely rapture,
but the presence of woman around me.

Humbly
loong

#812864 - 03/24/13 10:51 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi Loong, are you happier? In a deep way? That is the best measurement of progress. If your greater detachment is leading to a deeper connection to your own innate happiness and peace, than that is progress.

I mention this only because renunciation can be a trap - the trap the Buddha fell into himself (when he was still Siddhartha) before he discovered the middle way. Then he realized he was denying himself and his body too much, and it was in fact self-punishing.

I don't think you are doing this, I am just mentioning it as something to keep in mind, and for any other readers that may be out there.

#812871 - 03/24/13 03:20 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,
I am not here speaking of ascetism.I eat in restaurants sometimes 3 times in a day .
I still buy clothes ,that I like .For home ,I buy what I fee like eating.

What I worked on,,is detachment of every material possession,mental beliefs.
Ilive a life that is blissfull,happiness is not a word strong enough.

Openmindedness regarding new knowledge,I do not believe a sign of a Mind closed.

Loong

#812886 - 03/24/13 04:07 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

Thank you

loong

#812897 - 03/24/13 06:35 PM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or not,

Just read this article on Buddhanet on craving:

If we stop wanting altogether, we would never achieve anything.

True. But what the Buddha says is that when our desires, our craving, our constant discontent with what we have and our continual longing for more and more does cause us suffering,then we should stop doing it. He asks us to make a difference between what we need and what we want and to strive for our needs and modify our wants. He tells us that our needs can be fulfilled but that our wants are endless - a bottomless pit. There are needs that are essential, fundamental and can be obtained and this we should work towards. Desires beyond this should be gradually lessened. After all, what is the purpose of life? To get or be content and happy.

Loong

#813553 - 03/28/13 01:44 AM Re: Agora of Buddhism [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
A great text of Theravada origin by Banthe Of Sri-Lanka
Friends:

Energy Boosts Advantageous Right Effort!

By energy, one strives and struggles, thus is it enthusiastic effort.
Any advantageous exertion of endeavour is a right effort.
By Energy, one works in the right direction, thus is it right effort.
Energy is Right, because it eliminates all the ugly and evil mentalities!
Energy is Effort, because it brings progress of well-being and bliss!
Thus is it Right Effort... It is a name for Energy... Viriya!
Energetic Right Effort achieves these four functions:
1: Elimination of already arisen detrimental mental states!
2: Preventing the arising of detrimental states, that have not yet arisen!
3: Initiation of advantageous mental states, that have not yet arisen!
4: Maintenance & expansion of already arisen advantageous mental states!
Thus is it fourfold. That is why it is called the 4 right efforts...

Loong's comment:to those who do not know,Right Effort is the first of The Noble Eighfull Path,to Enlightenment.