Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Calypso, ninahaska, ovinovin7, amrapaligolf, Nancy Smith
56554 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56555 Members
417 Forums
111412 Topics
785856 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 275
Nancy Roussy 172
loongdragon 154
Rosie 66 141
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 140
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 97
Lestie4containergardens 57
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 54
Mona - Astronomy 48
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#787519 - 10/12/12 02:52 PM Why the grouping?
SpikeTheLobster Offline

I've always wondered why people always lump sci-fi and fantasy together, given that they're totally different genres. It makes it really difficult to browse departments (online or off). And there aren't even that many crossover writers to justify the mix, in my opinion. I mean, I can understand it in a way (they're both stereotypically geeky boys' subjects) but to me it's like putting crime and horror together because, y'know, people die in both. Makes no sense. Does anyone know why - either logically or historically - they get thrown into the same box?

Add Why the grouping? to Twitter Add Why the grouping? to Facebook Add Why the grouping? to MySpace Add Why the grouping? to Del.icio.us Digg Why the grouping? Add Why the grouping? to Yahoo My Web Add Why the grouping? to Google Bookmarks Add Why the grouping? to Stumbleupon Add Why the grouping? to Reddit
#787578 - 10/12/12 08:50 PM Re: Why the grouping? [Re: SpikeTheLobster]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Both are speculative fiction. That's all i got.

Add Re: Why the grouping? to Twitter Add Re: Why the grouping? to Facebook Add Re: Why the grouping? to MySpace Add Re: Why the grouping? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Why the grouping? Add Re: Why the grouping? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Why the grouping? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Why the grouping? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Why the grouping? to Reddit
#787594 - 10/12/12 11:08 PM Re: Why the grouping? [Re: SpikeTheLobster]
Claybird Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Indiana
To me they are very different. SciFi is just that, fiction based on science, usually set in the future. Fantasy is anything BUT scientific, it involves magic and the supernatural and is often set in the past. As a scifi fan, it always bothers me that the shelves in the library that are labelled SciFi are full of stories about wizards and mystics. And judging from some of the cover art, they seem to be aimed at women, not geeky boys.

Add Re: Why the grouping? to Twitter Add Re: Why the grouping? to Facebook Add Re: Why the grouping? to MySpace Add Re: Why the grouping? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Why the grouping? Add Re: Why the grouping? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Why the grouping? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Why the grouping? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Why the grouping? to Reddit
#838313 - 09/16/13 03:28 PM Re: Why the grouping? [Re: SpikeTheLobster]
Ilah B Offline

There are people who like fantasy, but not science fiction. There are people who like science fiction, but not fantasy. But there are a large number of people who like both. I personally know more people who like both genres. The two genres actually have quite a bit in common, in my opinion. They take place in a world different than the one we live in. The exotic setting is a big part of the appeal. Fantasy monsters and SF aliens are a lot alike. Non-human characters are a common factor as well. The non-human part makes them interesting and exotic. But they are close enough to human that we can talk with them, be friends with them or even consider a romance with them. There is a common saying in the SF community that sufficiently advance technology is indistinguishable from magic. Take a look at some of the things in Star Trek. They can teleport. They can create food instantly. They can revive someone who is technically dead. They have ships that can appear invisible. It seems a little bit like magic. In fact in a fantasy setting the same things are done with magic.

Moderator:  SF/FBooks Evelyn 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 02:34 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 02:31 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
Today at 02:27 AM
Frugal Sewing Basics
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:16 AM
How to Thread a Sewing Machine
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:14 AM
How to Read a Sewing Pattern
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:11 AM
Learn to Sew a Table Runner
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:07 AM
The Goddess
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Spirituality
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Soup du jour
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Yesterday at 08:27 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Izeigo), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.