Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
It's funny how we need to pigeon hole ourselves with a single title when we do so many different things. I want to say that I am first and foremost an appreciator of life, but that gets weird looks so I say that I am an online content provider.

Yet, I really am a wife, mother, substitute teacher, crisis hotline counselor, entrepreneur, caretaker, writer, author, dream interpreter, clairvoyant medium and student. But rattling off that list elicits weird looks, too.

I'm thinking about returning for my third degree. I have a BA in journalism and an MA in Education. Yet, for years Tina, I was also "just a mom." That was my proudest and most gratifying--and most important--job ever.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tina - it's interesting how people put people into categories. We are all so many things, and that's wonderful! Maybe you could wear a button that says "I'm an author!" and that would encourage discussion smile. Or if it was a casual get-together, you could get a t-shirt done with a book cover on it and your name.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lori - I do imagine that having an "elevator speech" is a good thing. I imagine if we wanted to we could probably talk for hours about all the things we've accomplished in life, which is certainly wonderful, but that's probably not good as a conversation starter. smile

So the interesting challenge is to distill the most important things down into a quick description, and then of course as you talk more with a person you can share your other interests as well. Which then has the interesting question of what ARE the most important things? And why?

Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
So many upbeat responses! I think it's great when people have a passion for what they do - it comes out when they talk to people!

What do I do?

I spend my days helping people to realize their career dreams. In other words I am an HR Manager who spends her days, not only recruiting and approving payroll - but I coach and counsel staff. I have a box of tissues on my desk, but nothing makes me happier then to see someone finally "get it." or to mentor and coach people into becoming management. My love for helping people to succeed carries through to all of my outside activities -- in what I write and also by being President of the Board HRA-NCA (DCSHRM). I'm also on several committees in the County I work for and am a certified trainer for the IPSLEI leadership program.

But above that I'm a twice divorced mom with three wonderful kids and a grandchild - and guiding them through life, being there to hold their hands when they hurt and also to celebrate their success truly defines who I am.

Last edited by Dianne W - Editor; 09/10/12 10:02 PM.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
J
J
Wow, all of you women are very impressive! I don't know why any of you would hesitate to say proudly what you do! However, I guess I do understand that feeling of not being good enough. Or in my case, of being thought to be an imposter, if that makes sense. I'm a writer, and I'm published. But when I tell people this, often they ask, "Have I read anything you've written?" I always think -- how would I know what you've read! :) So I hesitate, because I think people don't take me seriously if I'm not as well known in the field as, say, J.K. Rowling!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
This is my most dreaded question. I feel like it is really nosy and personal. I'd rather be asked something unusual, like, "if you could be a bird, what kind would you be?"

Anything but the "let me fit you into what society says is acceptable to judge."

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
People should be proud of whatever they do, if not, why do it?

Some people are cruel. They feel better about themselves when they criticize and judge others. I think it's their problem, not mine. I have always wondered where the cruelty gene came from.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
The "what do you do" question is so traumatizing for me that I often discuss it with my case manager. It really is nobody's business what I do. I don't see why this is an acceptable question to discuss with strangers.

I've even made up a 'distraction' technique so i don't have to answer this at all. I tell people I am living on a beach in Margaritaville. I get to laugh, they usually laugh, and then hopefully they move on.

A few people persist and and then I have to try really hard to not to squirm and say, "I don't like talking about it," or worse, "that's a bit personal." I never know what to do in these cases and it usually comes out wrong.

There has go to be some kind of less invasive way to get to know people, something a whole lot more creative than the knee-jerk "what do you do?" Why do I care what someone does? That doesn't make them a person. I'd rather know what they do in their spare time.

I swear I don't write these things to be contrarian. It just shows me how differently I see the world, for good or for ill.

Last edited by Jilly; 10/05/12 10:12 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Jilly -

We are all different people, and that is great! It makes the universe interesting.

I think for many people that they feel the way to get to know a person is to learn what they like to spend their time doing. So they ask. The person who responds gets to share whatever they want to about what they like to do. So it is completely up to the responder to talk about whatever aspect of their life they are in the mood to share. They have complete control.

Maybe it would help to look at the "ritual" a little differently? They are usually not trying to judge you or pigeonhole you. They are simply interested in a new human being. They are curious. Curiosity is great!

So share something you love. "I love researching frugal living options to help the world save money". People would adore that idea! Talking about what you love to do should be, I think, core to human interactions. It shares that joy.

I think if you start a conversation with an assumption that the person is a fun, curious entity who wants to learn about your passions in life, then that helps!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
But I don't want to talk about it at all. It's personal. And it will lead to more questions, which I will feel impelled to answer. I don't like talking to strangers about my life. it is a source of stress.

The Margaritaville thing I don't mind saying, for some reason, because of the fun fantasy element, i guess.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.