Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
rstuvw621812, amrapaligolf, Nancy Smith, Ballrealty, khajiitjess
56551 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56551 Members
417 Forums
111395 Topics
785809 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 284
Nancy Roussy 170
loongdragon 162
Rosie 66 143
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 142
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 97
James Andrew 94
Lestie4containergardens 58
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 54
Mona - Astronomy 49
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#783618 - 09/22/12 12:12 PM What my Buddhism is about.
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Loc: Mont Tremblant,quebec Can
To all or none, Buddhism,in my opinion ,is to rid of suffering to attain happiness,simply put. One must feel no fear,no attachments to earthly and spiritual ideas,concept,cravings and fetters.One must be free to choose his words spoken ,his actions based on his morality. Isn't everything,mere Illusions? With Metta a freed loongdragon

www.loongdragon-view-on-buddhism.blogspot.ca

Add What  my Buddhism is about. to Twitter Add What  my Buddhism is about. to Facebook Add What  my Buddhism is about. to MySpace Add What  my Buddhism is about. to Del.icio.us Digg What  my Buddhism is about. Add What  my Buddhism is about. to Yahoo My Web Add What  my Buddhism is about. to Google Bookmarks Add What  my Buddhism is about. to Stumbleupon Add What  my Buddhism is about. to Reddit
#783647 - 09/22/12 03:37 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Les Ex-BellaOnline Ed. Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: Michoacan, Mexico
Hi Loongdragon,

I understand that the owner of BellaOnline has permitted you access to the forums again many months after she had prohibited you from them for various violations of forum policy.

One of those violations was that you had referred to me as "muchacha/muchacho" after I had posed a very relevant comment to one of your postings. Since I had been informed that your forum access was being permanently removed, I at that time did not ask for an apology. Since that is not the case, I am asking from you for a public apology at this time.

Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Twitter Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Facebook Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to MySpace Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What  my Buddhism is about. Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Stumbleupon Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Reddit
#783651 - 09/22/12 04:00 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Les, If in any way ,I have offended you,for that I sincerely apologise I will not give reasons for why I could have acted this way. My apology is as sincere as the sun rose up this morning. May the Universe give you the power of forgiveness. _/\_ loongdragon

Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Twitter Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Facebook Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to MySpace Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What  my Buddhism is about. Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Stumbleupon Add Re: What  my Buddhism is about. to Reddit
#783652 - 09/22/12 04:14 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none, If someone reads the text of 783618,he/she will understand the changes that I have brought to my views on Buddhism and on Normand Joly/loong.If anyone else,was offended at one point, I publicly apologise for that. I shall not be as active ,as I was at my first stint here.This is what 783618,means. May loving kindness be spread on each and every one of you. _/\_ loongdragon

#783654 - 09/22/12 04:26 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Les Ex-BellaOnline Ed. Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: Michoacan, Mexico
Hi Loongdragon,

I have always had the power of forgiveness but not the power of forgetedness.

#783729 - 09/23/12 08:16 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Great, I hope we can all move forward. I think problems last time were exacerbated by language and cultural barriers also. That is not excusing anything that was said, but individuals are not always aware of what is or isn't considered offensive to others, so we need to be clear when we are offended and why. I also think that sometimes we editors dominate the forums and can appear very 'team-like' and that can actually discourage non-editors from participating. A friend who visited the forums mentioned this to me, so I just thought I would mention it here also. I know we are all trying to support each other, but lets work together to make others feel welcome also. Thanks:-)

Edited by Lisa - Buddhism (09/23/12 08:16 PM)

#783809 - 09/24/12 03:14 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Lisa and all, I fully accept the blame for my words and writings,including my attitude.I am known in circles as a man that is very direct. Also at that time ,I did not realise ,even with the warnings of Lisa Shea,that I was acting in this group ,as we usually act in Buddhist groups,questionning the opinion of others. At last ,I beleive I used false pride,unconsciously at that time. Thank you for your kind intervention.Again to those I might have hurt or insulted ,my most profound apologies. With Metta _/\_ loongdragon

#785147 - 09/29/12 05:32 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Happy Birthday Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Loong, I am THRILLED you are back! I missed you very much; your words always gave me real mental meat to chew. Sometimes the right teacher comes along for someone and I saw you as that for me.

I look forward to learning from you again.

#785171 - 09/29/12 01:07 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Jill, Really missed you too. I will bring meat to chew on but at a slower pace. With friendship loongdragon

#787489 - 10/12/12 01:59 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Here is a text that explains who I am;

AUTO-TOOL:Urge, incite and teach yourself by yourself!Examine and evaluate yourself with yourself!Guard yourself, aware of yourself, in yourself!Friend :-) _/\_ and you will live in Happiness ...Dhammapada 379 MASTER!For self is the master of self.For self is the protector of self.For self is the saviour of self.Control therefore yourself by taming,like one, who have bought a new horse! Dhammapada 380

#787549 - 10/12/12 07:04 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Love it Looong, the Dhammapada is probably my favorite sutra. I think The Thousands is my favorite passage:

"Better than a thousand hollow words
Is one word that brings peace.

Better than a thousand hollow verses
Is one verse that brings peace.

Better than a thousand hollow lines
Is one line of the law, bringing peace.

It is better to conquer yourself
Than to win a thousand battles.

Then the victory is yours."

But you got me thinking, which verse do I think best explains me and my relationship to Buddhism? I will think on that...

#789633 - 10/26/12 09:23 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Again what my buddhism is,it is the energy,the silent power within,the capacity to live a mindful life.All my life,actions ,non-actions,thoughts,silence of the Mind,everything is filled with Mindfullness,living Now.
loongdragon

#789895 - 10/28/12 07:18 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Originally Posted By: loongdragon
To all or none,

Again what my buddhism is,it is the energy,the silent power within,the capacity to live a mindful life.All my life,actions ,non-actions,thoughts,silence of the Mind,everything is filled with Mindfullness,living Now.
loongdragon

so beautiful loong.

#789944 - 10/29/12 12:47 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Lisa,

I am blushing.

loong

#790064 - 10/29/12 06:27 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
Being able to accept,critism,nice comments,needs a certain amount of detachment,
A bit. Of humility,,and the comprehension,of others way of seeing you.

#794389 - 11/28/12 03:13 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Open mindedness is necessary to live fully Buddhism.There are lots of questions ,unanswered,maybe later maybe never.
If one decides fully to engage on this path ,one shall often stop and think ,realise, understand ,and live it.
loong

#796079 - 12/14/12 01:10 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Been off a few days.Not off as in not feeling well,but off in my
constant search and research on Buddhism.
One must stop ,breathe 3 times with half a smile on.Mindfulness
returns instantly.My eyes are filling with tears as I write.

The maze of Buddhism, the choices to be made, the true understanding of the meaning of even the simplest text,takes me in another Realm.I am as I write like a pool ,montionless,emotionless,ah that is where the 2 tears came from:)I am at the same time listening to a mantra that lasts
over one hour. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58pigO5Dig[url] May your inside Buddhahood bloom

loong

#798295 - 12/30/12 04:00 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

to all or none,

When I started my journey in Buddhism,without knowing better,
my lineage was Theravada.I am now getting deeper into Mahayana.

In Theravada ,there are no prayers no music, no songs.Mahayana
does.There are Mantras ,prayers.and semi gods.

Please never forget that for me :all is of the MIND:FIRST:

I have decided to do my gallery of demi gods, people that all are
enlightened,that I can pray if I want to.

So here is my Gallery:

Martin luther King:purety,compassion for his slavers.If you have
not listened lately to:I have seen thePromised
Land in which he states,I WILL NOT ENTER WITH
YOU,knowing that he would die .Total sacrifice
for his followers.

Buddha : What to say about such a man that for 49 years walked
to spread the Dharma to one and all ,including me 2700
years later.Made the word Compassion,alive again.
HH Dalai-Lama:Enlightened also,sacrificing his life ,to try to
save his people from annihilation from the chinese.
A model of Compassion and a great teacher.

JESUS; Enlightened,He too sacrificed his public life ,to help
Change the ways of thinking,the jews had.Another one
that died trying to do good.

As you can see ,I chose my protectors very well.Encircled by a group like this i am constantly fed ,with Compassion,Loving Kindness HONOR ,Purity,Mindfulness.Helping others.

You will not find an article on such an action in Buddhist texts
but isn't this :What my Buddhism is all about:

May you protect yourselves too.

loong

#798845 - 01/03/13 06:41 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none.
I am planning a 'SOIREE' evening,in my village called :a 2600 year old new phylosophy.
I am well known in my village for work I did 23 years ago on spirituality for 8 years.
So as not to scare everyone, the word Buddhism will be restrained to it's minimum.It will be part presentation ,and I hope a lot of questions,there shall be I hope a good flux.
living in the country,you don't stir the wasp nest too hard.

I have not had a project in 2 years/I beleive this might be a good one for me.Everytime I meet people ,they ask where are you ?
So I am going to show myself up.

The main thing is costs?It is a project and in this Now seems fine.Kept me up part of the nite.

loong

#799023 - 01/04/13 01:23 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Everyday ,I meet other persons of a certain age,explained my plan.Should have seen their reaction.oufff.ESpecially the eldest
You won't make me change my religion etc.Turmoil.

What I want is a peaceful exchange ,peaceful dialog.The woman said the room will empty in 10 minutes.
Told her ,that I would be in front and the door in the back for those who desire to leave.
But you should have seen the energy flying around.

Not very encouraging.Not one to let go so easily,tought of doing
a "soiree" on Buddhism" plain and simple.So if I get 10 persons ,I will get 10 persons interested,at least.
Today being 1h10 minutes ,I will go see for adds in the local newspaper,and a locale during the day .This a project.

Buddha meditated 7 years to obtain his goal.

loong

#799313 - 01/06/13 10:13 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Buddha said,give,give,that is what I try to do with all of you.

Today worked 7 hours on learning ,to be able to share with you.

With Metta ;Loving Kindness
loong

#799392 - 01/07/13 09:14 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

I don't know if I have mentionned this before.Learned from Thich Nhat Hanh,When I wake up.Right there ,i stop all movements ,put half a smile on my face ,breathe 3 times,then I can move,repeat if you sit in your bed,this is the way to start a day;
loong

#800257 - 01/12/13 03:44 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none.

Remember when I started studying Buddhism ,not having found The Middle Path yet,I went stark crazy, seeing myself as a Arahat.
Would read everything I could ,went into Buddhists groups,
Took Refuge in a private ceremony,Took monks vows instead of
Leity vows.After 3 years as a monk ,I renounced
to being a monk,sexual craving ,was driving me nuts.It is easy
not thinking of sex when you live in a sangha.But in the traffic of outside life.Pretty hard of not thinking about sex.
Buddha never let a woman touch him.There is this Theravadin
Bhikkhu that never lets himself touch by a woman .This is done
so as to not awaken the craving for sex.
Now I am thanks to Lisa the editor of the group,I have come closer to the middle way.Thanks to Lisa from bringing me ,with
different views about Buddhism.Thank you Lisa Erickson.

loong

#800263 - 01/12/13 05:04 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Happy Birthday Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Loongdragon, i love your Gallery! Is that like your personal board of directors?

#800285 - 01/12/13 10:40 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Jilly,

I originally started this thread,for articles that was too short,
also to be like an open book on how I was seing MY buddhism.

Made my own board of directors:
Martin L.King jr.
Buddha, Dalai-lama,my deceased father
and Jesus ,not the christians Jesus Christ.But Jesus perceived,
not as a savior but like Buddha.

Thank you for your writing

With friendlyness
loong

#800303 - 01/12/13 12:48 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I love your gallery too Loong, and am glad that you feel our interactions here are helping you gain clarity on your path. It is enlightening for me too. Truly all of our interactions bring us lessons and insights.

#800615 - 01/14/13 06:23 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Recently meditated on my beleifs regarding my way of seeing and living my Buddhism.Even if Lisa Eriskson she is -no one's teacher,she says. :),I still consider mine.Her having had a Tibetan teacher for almost 20 years,is a gold mine of experience and Compassion.

We recently exchanged on the way I was walking and living my path.
She ,with her usual,frankness,and love for others,gave me pointers,more than pointers,her truth,on the way she was living hers and how I should after meditation,live mine.
Just too bad ,flowers cannot be sent through a computor,She would get a giant bouquet
With everything she has done for me,specially with her busy schedule.

Ihave,I believe,never said ,what I am about to say..P

Find someone,whom you trust and more knowledgeable than you.

First it is good on humility, then on loving kindness.

To Lisa Erickson thank for wnom you are,with deepest respect
_/\_
Loong

#800692 - 01/15/13 10:38 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all,

If trying to make one feel better,and that person after a while feels worse.Something has to be wrong.That is and was my case.
Today,Now ,Peace has reintered my Mind.Today I will start working on BARDO.Keep you posted
loong

#800746 - 01/15/13 12:00 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Burt B. Offline
Chipmunk

To all,

If trying to make one feel better,and that person after a while feels worse.Something has to be wrong.That is and was my case.
Today,Now ,Peace has reintered my Mind.Today I will start working on BARDO.Keep you posted
loong

Hi loong,

Your devastation in the loss of finances, homes and love has been my path also.

To hear you say, "Today,Now ,Peace has reintered my Mind." is a great and warm comfort to me.

Your loss was my loss.

Your bitterness was my bitterness.

Your hate and anger and headstrong fight against attachment, suffering and desire is my fight.

Your positive affirmation today is my reward.

Your hope is being renewed.

Your heart is being renewed.

Your mind is being renewed.

Do you have any idea how much joy this is bringing me right now ?

Unspeakable.

You are stabilizing.

This stabilizes me.

Sincerely,

Burt B.

#800747 - 01/15/13 12:01 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Burt B. Offline
Chipmunk

I do not know what BARDO is.

Will you please teach me ?

It sounds like it is helping you.

-- Burt B. smile

#800841 - 01/16/13 01:06 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Thank you Loong, for your kind words. I am not sure what this other exchange is about with Burt B., but it sounds very powerful.

#801591 - 01/19/13 07:31 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Just woke up,and realizing how Buddha would have described,me,
this morning.
A living corpse,full of sores,every articulation hurting.Because abuse and aging,one leg is twisting,to support the 8 tears in the knees, the ankles have grown almost an inch,to give balance while walking.He wears elastic braces.His brain is dammaged from abuse also.Forgetting his son's name.Eyes always dry from blocked
canals,his heart,5 operations,tempted by Mara's daughters,more shall come,until he becomes a dead corpse.

To most of you ,this description might sound negative,but it is
the reality of every living being,aging,aging.To me this is my
reality.But however it is accepted,and well lived with.

To me ,a carrier made of human flesh ,bones,organs ,feces is
well understood.The part most important to me is my Mind.This is aging well.Living more and more compassion and loving kindness.Seeing each moment better and better thanks to Mindfulness and Equanimity.May you understand the aging process,
and work on the Eighfold Path ,to rid yourself of samsara.

Never been happier, never have life been so good to me.What makes my life so good is being ,more and more,capable living,more
and more in the Now

Loong a carrier

#801897 - 01/21/13 07:19 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all and none
Maybe I spoke of it recently,but am in some kind of turmoil,in my beliefs.
Hard to explain. Since,I started working on Tibetan Buddhism,been mixed up.
What I miss,ls Mindfulness,changes in my faith,behavior.For the few years, I have been in Buddhism, this is the first such episode.
Started reading ,Lisa's article on the bardos.having ptoblems with faith.

This turmoil,keeps me out of the now.

Loong

#802340 - 01/24/13 08:41 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
This morning What I am thankfull for ,is not to be a homeless person at -33 degrees,and also not having to check in recycling bins for empty cans.I am grateful to the universe for threating me so well .with what I have.As for the 2 aforementionned I have compassion for what they are living.

loong a lucky man

#802875 - 01/27/13 07:25 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

to all or none,
In society,there are many worlds based on Mara's form.
Last nite,beat Mara.

loong

#803662 - 01/31/13 12:50 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Buddha said many times to give and give with Compassion.
Presently ,I found a private coach to help me regain a bit of rigor in my body,right here at bellaonline,free and with compassion
Another one a food coach is looking for a better way of eating,
again right here at bellaonline.
Always looked for someone to become abetter Buddhist,found her right here at Bellaonline the editor of the Buddhism section
all this giving is done with compassion and loving kindness.
Many thanks to Bellaonline and to the people who constitute it.

_/\_

loong

#803762 - 01/31/13 02:06 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Thanks for your words of gratitude Loong. Bellaonline is an amazing creation of Lisa Shea. It offers so many wonderful training tools for the volunteer editors too. Did you know that the advertising revenue from the ads you see goes to charity? It is truly an example of how wonderful the web can be, bringing people together around the world, sharing information, learning, and giving to charity also.

#805731 - 02/12/13 03:20 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

In my buddhism ,what
I have read and put to use,is the respect of others beleifs.
I had a friend ,christian,whom I had a lot of affection for.
When he died last year of an overdose,self-inflicted,some people decided that they
would organise the ceremony of laying to rest,their way-,not minding the friend's
Family that was really mad.So was I,,,so this morning inrespect for his beliefs,his way
,I paid in a catholicc church ,for a mass,call
me crazy,but this -is the -respect ,I have for people beleifs.
Maybe by now he has been rebirthed,but for our friendship,I believe it necessary,even
If he,s gone ,however ,My belief our friendship transcends time,life or death.
This is what my mind filled with compassion,felt like doing.

With metta
Loong

#805746 - 02/12/13 07:24 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Regarding my last post.i know that all is illusion.

loong

#805961 - 02/13/13 03:28 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Today met with a Rhuandan priest,in my village.The man is pure ,not spoiled by
The north american system.Iasked him that our conversation be spiritual only..

The subject was my incapacity to have compassion for one individual.Someone
he knows very well.I stated my problem,and then he took over.This individual is all typesof programs,associations.His problem,is always taking credit for thegood he
Does and asks to be recognised for it.

The priest said tha Jesus like Buddha,asked togive,give,almost in silence.

The conclusion we came together ,the person suffers from narcissism
All the discussion was with love,
Already ,the discussion started to sink in.Imust first give myself pardon,
Then let the compassion flourish in my Mind,for myself and then for thishuman
being,that carries buddhahood inside of him.

This is part of what my buddhismis all about
Loong

#806292 - 02/15/13 04:15 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Lovely story Loong, thanks for sharing. What you describe about this person is very common I think. For myself I often find it helps me to wonder why someone might act this way. In people I have known who have this need for credit, there is often a deep-seated insecurity or sense of unworthiness. So they are always seeking to be validated outside themselves. When I realize this, I can feel it in them - this sense of unworthiness, and then the compassion flows.
Usually the most abrasive people we know are the most damaged. When we really realize this, it is easier to feel compassion. Of course, this doesn't excuse other's behavior. We shouldn't allow ourselves to be abused. But we can draw boundaries and insist upon respect from others while still holding them compassionately in our heart.
I love these personal stories you share because this is how we each really practice in our daily lives, right? I will try to share more stories too, things will be less busy for me soon and I will be here more I hope...

#806295 - 02/15/13 05:06 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lori-Dreams Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

"...while holding them compassionately in my heart..."

Lisa, that is just beautiful.

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

#807662 - 02/24/13 03:20 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
I also am member of buddhist groups,where exchanges are often not for a beginner.
This morning while checking ,the member that writes the most,wrote that he has disdain for homeless people,and could not have Compassion for them.

My answer to his affirmation ,was that most homeless,are mentally I'll,alcoolics,drug addicts.
So I told him you better have disdain for me.At the age of 30 almost died of abuse,had 3 mental sickness or disease,and oh yes my brain was very damaged,due to atheriosclorosis of the brain.

Told him ,it is easy to have compassion for likeable persons,but it is when a person really needs Compassion,then more than ever,let the flower of Compassion bloom in the direction of those who really need it

Loong the learner

#807818 - 02/25/13 11:41 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

...it is easy to have compassion for likeable persons,but it is when a person really needs Compassion,then more than ever,let the flower of Compassion bloom in the direction of those who really need it...
Loong the learner

So true! For me, it is easier for me to feel compassion for the downtrodden than for those in power who abuse their power. So it is harder for me to feel compassion for those whose views or actions I feel are dangerous, cruel, or wrong. But of course, true metta practice asks us to try and generate this too! One of the steps in traditional metta meditation is to practice generating lovingkindness towards 'our enemies' or whomever we feel is a threat to us or what we believe. I think that is the hardest one. Of course this doesn't mean we can't oppose the other's views or fight against them in public, but doing this while still holding compassion for them is the true challenge of Buddhism. Both the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have spoken of this, as well as many of the Lamas who were held in captivity by the Chinese...amazing really.

#808469 - 02/27/13 06:14 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Readind the Tibetn Book of...........,I discovered that Tibetan buddhist believe in re-incarnation,not in rebith..

They remember past lives or actions as if it were their past lives.
In rebith what we might sometimes see is like :deja vue:
Memories that are not necesserely ours but impregnated in the karma
Of many carriers of such karma.

So who is right and who is wrong?

Loong

#808852 - 02/28/13 05:04 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi Loong, I think the Tibetan Buddhist teachings are of rebirth, not reincarnation. I realize that books like The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying use the word 'reincarnation' (as do many translated Buddhist texts) but that is just because Western audiences are more familiar with this word. Tibetan Buddhism does not posit an eternal soul, spirit or essence that migrates from body to body - that is reincarnation. As with all Buddhism it instead teaches the continuation of certain skandhas, and that may manifest as memories.

This is the way I understand it anyway. What in the text has made you think otherwise, besides the use of the word 'reincarnation'?

#808875 - 02/28/13 07:20 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

dear Lisa ,
It's not the using of the word re-incarnation that bugs me,it is the capacity to seem to have to find in an 11 month child the
aspect a
of a deported Tibetan ,never any other country.
I read an article similar to that where a small town ,would recognise signs of past relative ,knowing it was the dead person.
A young child will look like his father.

Why is it then that never a Dalai-lama was found out of tibet.

Sorry for my writing style ,I am now in a turmoil,regarding beleifs,truth etc.

Still Are my Moderator.
loong

#808877 - 02/28/13 07:32 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

By the way ,he did not use ,the word re-incarnation.It is the
way the events happen that I consider it re-incarnation ,
in this book the absenbce of soul has not yet been mentionned if I remember right.
loong
p.s. Do you remember the film KUNDUN,Where a 4 years old child found in a far away destinguishes the dead lama pieces,and also everyone surprise,he opens apiece of furniture anf finds the wooden teeth of the same lama.!
loong

#809589 - 03/04/13 11:19 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

There actually have been Tibetan lamas found outside Tibet, although so far never a Dalai Lama. The current Dalai Lama has alluded to the idea that perhaps he will not reincarnate, and at times when speaking in the West has even seemed to suggest he may think this is an oudated custom, although I don't think he's ever completely come out and said this, as the Tibetan people are very attached to it, and him, and this custom is deeply embedded in the culture.

I don't defend it, it part of Tibetan Buddhism as 'religion', and that's not the part I relate to. But you will find that all branches of Buddhism have 'religious' arms, that have customs and traditions that are rooted in custom and culture more than teachings. This is very true of Theraveda Buddhism too, as it is practiced within many Buddhist countries. There are millions of Buddhists worldwide, and they all relate to it slightly differently. But you don't have to relate to it that way, just relate to the teachings directly, those that resonate with you, and practice, that is what matters.

#809842 - 03/05/13 07:26 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

I am reading ,Tibetan Buddhism,now.To have the Knowledge of their beleifs.All the other Mahayana lineages ,I will not study.
I have made my choice,my beleifs.
S.Rinpoche writes of 4 bardos.Wiki of 6.You having been a student for many years ,what is your:beleif:?

I am slowly coming back in control of Rigpa.

Thank you for being there for me.It we were in Zen.I beleive the word would be O Sensi

_/\_
loong

#809888 - 03/06/13 12:19 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

S.Rinpoche writes of 4 bardos.Wiki of 6.You having been a student for many years ,what is your:beleif:?

Personally I do not know. I can relate to both versions, but I view these teachings as guidance for us to navigate something that is really beyond words. They are like maps. I know I have used this analogy before, but I think it is very important: We can have several maps of California, and one might be a hiking map, and one might be a water map, and one might be a road map, etc. None of them are California, but each of them will help you find what you need in California.

So it is not a matter of one version being true and another being false - they are just different maps emphasizing different things.

However, I actually tend to relate to the 6 bardo description. I wonder if Sogyal Rinpoche perhaps simplified to 4 because this book as geared for a wide audience. My understanding was that his lineage teaches 6 normally. I don't know.

#810724 - 03/11/13 03:30 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
Always trying to find subjects of interest for both you and I,am working on 4 or 5 right now.

One ,I will have to disturb,my Master/teacher.
Will keep you posted .
Loong the learner
!

#810748 - 03/11/13 05:51 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I replied to your message Loong. I would love to share some of our discussion on the heart sutra here in a new thread, but that is up to you.

#810789 - 03/12/13 12:26 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

After reading your text(private),I realized how ignorant ,i still am.

loong

#810793 - 03/12/13 12:55 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none

I once wrote:The main reason for suffering,is craving,

As I sit at my computor,at 1.45 in the nite,I realise ,that

the craving for knowledge is at this instant the source of my

sufferings.Everything being controlled by the Mind,(rigpa)in

Tibetan,I accept the fact that the level of my knowledge,is where

it is,in this now.

loong

#810871 - 03/12/13 11:20 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

The mind is a great tool, and striving to understand dharma teachings with our mind is what moves us forward and deeper. You have a strong, seeking, smart mind and that is a great gift on the path. But yes, the teachings are pointers and our mind can only take us so far. It is a delicate balance, knowing when in our path to seek more knowledge, and when to let go of it.

This is the meaning of 'upaya' - skillful means. The teachings are upaya, and we must strive to understand them, but they are pointers to realization, not the end-goal themselves.

#810912 - 03/12/13 02:27 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher

In the last post,you mention when to let go!

Made a copy of your private e-mail,had it blown and a plastic film over it.Same thing with the Heart Sutra.
Cannot call myself a Mahayana if I do not understand the Heart sutra.

Been doing research on emptiness,rereading your e-mail and the Sutra.

Could the phrase:inherent absence of all phenomena,resume TheSutra?

Loong the learner

#811088 - 03/13/13 12:15 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I do like the phrase 'inherent absence of all phenomena', but I always have a problem with words like 'emptiness' and 'absence' because they focus on the negation side of the practice - the process of seeing past the superficial apparent solidity and reality of things, emotions, and ideas. I think that's an important part of it, because it helps us see things as a fluid and ever-changing flow of energies, instead of as fixed.

So I like to have it balanced with phrases that focus on the fullness of all that moving, changing energy as well - the flow. So you could say 'the inherent absence of all phenomena' and the 'glorious fluidity and fullness of all phenomena' and they both can be true.

After all, when you have a moment of pure mindfulness, when everything feels still and you feel like you are experiencing life directly, in the present, it doesn't feel empty or absent - it feels full and fluid, right?

I think part of the challenge is the limitations of language, as I mentioned in that message. So some sutras and teachings (and teachers) focus on one aspect, and others focus on other aspects, we only in our own realization can they all be resolved.

It's like the story of the blind men and the elephant which I think you are familiar with - each blind man feels a different part of the elephant and thinks he has 'seen' the entire thing. Each sutra is one view of the elephant, and in our own practice and realization we put them all together into our direct experience of the full elephant:-)

#811097 - 03/13/13 12:48 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
Francine - German Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germany/France

Thank you Lisa for such a clear and coherent explanation of what can sometimes be a difficult concept to comprehend.

Edited by Francine - German Culture (03/13/13 01:05 PM)

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRUECKE Cologne, the CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. Photo "Der Wolf im Wald" with Plantu's "European Dove of Peace 2012". Western Europe has enjoyed the longest period of peace in its history, and in 2012 the EU won the Nobel Prize for Peace.

#811111 - 03/13/13 02:11 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To lisa

Things are getting clearer.Made more reseach again,specially on the words emptiness and form.
Emptiness ,to me,especially in the Heart Sutra,made me feel,like what was the use of
it all. Also am so glad to have finally a visitor writing a comment.IT wish this member
Would visit us more often.I have read 2 of her comments,and seems she know s
her stuff.In one of my little meditations,I asked,why,we do not hve more participants.
2 days later we have one.

.loong the learner.

#811112 - 03/13/13 02:17 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To my Teacher,

Did some research on ,both emptiness and form.
The only answer I had was that emptiness is form,and form is emptiness.
So I am back to square one.

Am going to try to find more answers.

Loong

#811128 - 03/13/13 03:56 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

Went to access to insight to get a definition of "Form" Text was by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
I can finally realise wat form is,.
My personnality is of the grounded type and bit stubborn.
Also please never forget my memoryproblems.
Thank you again
Loong
The learner.

#811230 - 03/14/13 12:54 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

That's great Loong - perhaps you will attract Francine and others to comment more...but don't get down about that, some people are very shy about commenting on the web, and of course they also have to put in their email here when they make a username which some people don't want to do (this is part of helping to prevent forum spam, it isn't used for marketing but some people don't know that) so be happy that so many people are reading your words:-)

What you say, that feeling of 'what is the use of it all' when focusing on emtpiness is exactly what I meant when I said this is only half. It is easy to get to that existentialist place, and that is only part of it. The joy of life, without projection or expectation is the other side of the coin, and they are both part of the path!! You have a natural zest for life I think, so don't lose that:-)

One teacher I had was once asked 'how do you know if a teacher is enlightened' and he said 'they are very funny.' He was being funny himself of course, but if you look at all the great teachers, it is so often true. There is a joy and love for life. Realizing emptiness opens us to joy because we are no longer caught in all our projections and expectations. We can just be.

#811242 - 03/14/13 01:10 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Someone just quoted this passage on Facebook so thought I'd share here as to me it relates to what we've been disussing here:

"Nothing of saṁsāra is different from nirvāṇa, nothing of nirvāṇa is different from saṁsāra. That which is the limit of nirvāṇa is also the limit of saṁsāra; there is not the slightest difference between the two."
-Nagarjuna

We we have to reject samsara for a time as part of our practice in order to loosen the hold it has on us, but that is not the end point. Moving through that to THIS realization is what we seek...

#811292 - 03/14/13 06:46 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher
Francine ,is a moderator regarding German dept.
Today received by mail ,the book Bardo teachings by Venerable Lama Lodo.
Also called bardo Thodrol.

Cannot wait to read it.
Loong the learner

#811294 - 03/14/13 06:56 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher

Leaving aside Samsara.My view on Samsara is the death and rebirth at every present moment ,leading to attman.
Am I off track.? In some way ,the last few posts,have made me more mixed than
learned.What has Samsara to do with Nirvana,except for the fact thatif one attains Nirvana,Samsara ceases.Enlighten me please.

Loong
Unlearning

#811377 - 03/15/13 01:38 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear,Dear Teacher,

Finally ,light has happened,regarding the Heart Sutra.
With my type of memory,in this instant it is clear.

Loong

#811382 - 03/15/13 03:08 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Dear,Dear Teacher,

Finally ,light has happened,regarding the Heart Sutra.
With my type of memory,in this instant it is clear.

Loong

Does this mean I should disregard your last question re: samsara and nirvana? Samsara is to nirvana as emptiness is to form. One does not negate the other.

#811693 - 03/18/13 01:34 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

While doing research on hells and heavens,it brought me back to our site,where you had a thread on these subject, also one on bardos.
I apologise for overwriting 2 texts that are of great quality.

loong

#812742 - 03/23/13 02:52 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Tonite,was a special nite,in 2 senses.
First I listened to a person that no one respect,for maybe an hour,He cried,told me stuff he had never told anyone.Metta
Second ,i was insulted and told stuff by a young beginner in spirituality.I never answered back,not being affected by his insults.Richard Bach ,in his book Illusions or the adventures of a reluctant Messiah,wrote:Live in such a way that whatever is said about you,even ifit were the truth,to not be affected.

When one learns detachment of everything,whatever is said ,will have no effect on him ,joy,regretjust Loving Kindness for the other.

loong
moving along

#812764 - 03/23/13 10:11 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
This morning ,I was awaken,by a phone call,by the same person
that insulted me ,last nite.He threw the same insults at me,adding,that I was an empty person ,That I should be treated for living the life I live.
This person I considered my son.

Living unattached,unattackable ,is not understdood by persons
who live for money,drinking alcool and having a lot of sex.

I wish this person Metta and Karuna.

With tender love for that person.

loong

#812777 - 03/23/13 12:13 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

No need to apologize Loong, some of these threads have aged out of the display here, I didn't realize they would still come up on searches, so that's good to know. These are topics we can revisit over and over in new ways however.

#812785 - 03/23/13 12:45 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

I would appreciate your comment on my last 2 posts.

Loong

#812799 - 03/23/13 01:58 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Do you mean your last two posts in this thread, regarding your 'adopted son' insulting you? I am so sorry to hear this. But it sounds like you are dealing with it with equanimity, even within your pain. That is all you can do. His anger is much more a reflection of his own issues than of yours. This is always the case when we incite this level of anger in someone. This doesn't mean we are always without fault, but once someone gets to the place where they are hurling personal insults, obviously we have triggered something deep within them. In this way, you are like a lightening rod. Perhaps someday he will come to a new understanding and thank you. But perhaps not - he is on his own journey and you can't control it.

All that being said, I think it is important when on a spiritual path to constantly screen ourselves for any inner sense of superiority or judgement. It is easy to fall into these inner attitudes, and if people feel it from us, they will be offended. It is not our place to criticize the way others live, even inwardly, unless they ask us for help, or we feel someone is actually in mortal danger or committing a social injustice that we feel we must stand against. So you can also use this as an opportunity to look honestly within yourself for this.

But don't beat yourself up. It is very sad and I am sorry for your loss, but practicing metta towards him is all you can do.

Edited by Lisa - Buddhism (03/23/13 01:59 PM)

#812829 - 03/23/13 07:15 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Lisa

Thank You.

loong

#812873 - 03/24/13 03:33 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Buddha,s teachings,show that the only way to enlightenment,is through the NOBLE
EIGHTFOLD PATH.
So why am I and others searching so hard ?

Loong

#812911 - 03/24/13 10:30 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

I have been in the spiritual world for 36 years.People always come up to me ,mostly strangers,and tell me ,what they have never told anybody else in their lives.

Tonite went to see a friend in a niteclub.I am sitting down and
there are 2 men there ,that I feel have to be from some mob.
The one that is drunk ,sits next to me .start telling me his life
He is the boss of a russian Family ,in atown about 45 miles from where I live.He tells me things that he never told anyone.
He cries on my arm.He tells me something that if it ever got out
he would be shot ,so would I being the only one knowing his
secret.All I could have for this man was compassion and an ear
to listen to his story. This man is living his Karma right now.

I beleive that wherever you are, if you exude peace,and tranquility,people will come to you.

I thank my Mind (rigpa) for giving me this attraction to the sufferers.Maybe it's the Buddhahood in me that does that.I do not know.
If you meet someone suffering ,give her/him an ear and Metta and
Karuna

Loong

#812923 - 03/25/13 12:05 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Elleise - Clairvoyance Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra

Loc: IL
I get this too...it's a reaction and it's difficult to write about because on one hand if you do, it can be interpreted as if you have this profound effect on someone.

I don't wish to write in terms of that sense.

What I feel comfortable saying though is that when I go out, I find people as well as my husband finds, people have a healing unloading sensation and that's probably the one thing that makes it all worth while smile

My husband came home about a week ago, and said his colleagues told him, "You're very Christ-like."

I've had similar experiences.

At this point I feel people/entities that have this reaction on others are in a way, seeds scattered to the wind. They land here and there but not in one solid clump.

The reason being, if they were to, land in one area, they'd not do what it is they were meant to...they'd never leave the comfort of their own solace wink

#813551 - 03/28/13 01:24 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none

Tonite ,a man is sitting next to me.He heard me talking with the girl at the bar about Buddhism.So he says, can you change my karma.He tells me everything is going wrong in his life for the last ten years.I said the only person that can change your karma is you.He tells me that he heard of a girl in Quebec City ,that can change karmas.So I tell him why do you go and see her.
Few minites later ,he tells me he frauded for $50,000,000.,also he might have shot afew persons.I must have a magnet after me
to attrack these who suffer.Mind you,I sit in a bar drinking coffee,half smiling very relaxed.

I am thinking of stop going there ,because ,every time ,I go there someone shares his/her problems with me.

Loong
the magnet

#813574 - 03/28/13 07:43 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

We all live with secrets,secrets that slowly destroy us,mentally and eventually physically.
I am a lucky man I have aMaster/Teacher,that knows me well.Yet we never met in person.
So as not to grow older than you should,please find someone to share with.If you are a christian see your pastor and just empty
what is wrong in your life.
There are good people out there,find one,just a suggestion

loong

#814876 - 04/04/13 02:30 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
This post could be in Compassion or LovingKindness.

In the morning paper they spoke of Luka Roceo Magnotta. In Canada he dismembered a young chinese young man and sent his body parts across Canada.
He was caught,and deported in Canada.
The article states that at the age of only 13years old ,he was diagnosed with
schizophrenic paranoia .Imagine at 13 years of age.He is incredibly intelligent,but
His 2mental desease created a monster.

So how do we look at this in a human way and a Buddhist way?

let's start with the human way .This man should be sent in a mental institution for the rest of his life. .
Now the buddhist way.Yes he should be sent to a mental institution,to receive the pro
per care.Both families should be sent compassion with what they are living through
In these instants.compassion for the killer ,and also the victim ,wherever he may be NOW.

To all that will read this simple quote for a growing problem on this blue planet,search in ,your Mind,not your emotions,what to do to this young man,and millions
Like him out there.

With Love,Loving Kindness,Compassion

Loong
A simple learner..

#815050 - 04/05/13 10:54 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none

What my Buddhism is about?

This morning ,the flame is growing stronger.Slowly going back to the other world,THE WORLD OF MIND.

Mansland,I really do not seem to fit in.For a month or two,been
living with Mara,if I were the old Normand Joly,I would have used
from a movie,these words.I am too old for that s..t.

My Master ,had told me to explore the world of man for awhile.

I did.

So for NOW I am back where I belong ,in a world of loving kindness and Compassion ,of impermanence, of sharing knowledge
with my Master Lisa Erickson ,whom is a fantastic human being,
and you readers.

Very Humbly
loong
the learner

#815072 - 04/05/13 11:52 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Burt B. Offline
Chipmunk

To all or none

What my Buddhism is about?

This morning ,the flame is growing stronger.Slowly going back to the other world,THE WORLD OF MIND.

Mansland,I really do not seem to fit in.For a month or two,been
living with Mara,if I were the old Normand Joly,I would have used
from a movie,these words.I am too old for that s..t.

My Master ,had told me to explore the world of man for awhile.

I did.

So for NOW I am back where I belong ,in a world of loving kindness and Compassion ,of impermanence, of sharing knowledge
with my Master Lisa Erickson ,whom is a fantastic human being,
and you readers.

Very Humbly
loong
the learner

Blessed loong and Blessed Lisa Erickson,

I too have felt a shift.

I had about 3 or 4 terrible days - days with Mara as loong so aptly put.

Today is different.

The Mind is in control of the emotions.

And, it is wonderful.

-- Burt B.

#815093 - 04/05/13 02:08 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I have just reviewed a book called The Zen Guide which includes a commentary on a wonderful zen parable told in pictures called 'The Search for the Missing Ox.' It is a parable for the spiritual journey, and it includes going back into the world after a level of realization, and how it is different from living in the world before we begin to realize our true nature. Before, we live in total attachment. Then through removing ourselves for a bit, we glimpse our true essence, our Buddha nature (the 'ox' in this parable.) Through integration we deepen our realization until we know ourselves as nothing else. Then we return to the relative world, but live in it in a different way.

The parable presents this as one cycle, but I think for most people we go through a version of this cycle over and over on our path. In fact, in some Zen monasteries, this cycle is encouraged by monks spending 3-6 months meditating in the monastery, and then 3-6 months out in the world. This balance is needed. If you only live in seclusion, you can get lost in your own private delusion of awakening. You can believe you have erased your ego, because there is no experience to challenge that. On the other hand, if you are only in the world, you can get lost in mara.

So you have begun this cycle it seems. Personally I would not think of it as being 'lost in mara'. It is part of your path. What did you learn about yourself? What arose in you? How were you different and how were you the same? Have you begun to see the Buddha nature in others, and how does this change your reaction to them and the world?

Also one more note - I cannot let you call me master:-) I appreciate the gesture of respect, but I reserve that word for individuals much further along than myself.

Good to have you back here though, and Burt good to see you here too!

Edited by Lisa - Buddhism (04/05/13 02:10 PM)

#815095 - 04/05/13 02:37 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Lisa,and Burt

First Burt:thank you for sharing with us.Welcome to the Mind.

To Lisa,Thank you for sharing the Zen way of living part of the Dhamma.To me,you still remain my Lighthouse,with your wisdom,
and pure loving kindness.
Thank you for everything.

loong
the learner

#815567 - 04/08/13 01:18 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

In your e-book ,you write,in THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS, regarding DUKKHA,
Seperation from what is pleasing is suffering. With your writing ,in a Buddhist way I agree.However if that pleasure does not create attachment or craving,then it should not be part of dukkha.

I am sure you love your husband ,and some attachment is part of the relation.
Would you call that Dukkha?

Loong
The learner

#815582 - 04/08/13 02:03 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

In your book ,page 20,Exploring Dukkha,you wrote,the following.

Can you connect to a level of your being that is at peace,regardless of wether or not you are experiencing pain or pleasure?
That is what Buddhist practice helps us to connect with.It does not ask us to give up pleasure,and it does not guarantee that we will not experience pain.It changes our relationship to pain and pleasure,so THAT WE ARE NOT DEPENDENTon them for the lasting happiness.

Since ,I have been in Buddhism ,I have had the obcession ,of staying away from the manworld.Nobody knows me like you.
I wrote you personnally about arelationship ,I am having right now,in which ,I am not suffering,,I think of that young woman ,but not in a way of suffering,but pleasurable moments passed together.
I know it,s the past already',In this now,I am in my blissland ,no suffering.

I believe you when ,you mentionned ,I must suffer of a form of ascetism.
It is like ,I am not allowed to have manworld pleasures.

With deep respect
Loong
The learner.

By the way,everyone should buy this book .It is so pure,written with loving kindness
And compassion.

#815609 - 04/08/13 04:29 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi Loong, first of all I am glad you like the e-book. Bellaonline e-books are compilations of previously published articles here (that is the requirement for them) so I was worried it might seem too disconnected, one article after another, but did try and connect them through these practices you quoted. So I'm glad it is providing some benefit to you. Someday I would like to write a more freeform one.

As for your questions on dukkha and attachment and pleasure, figuring this out is really the heart of every individual's path I think. When we begin the path, it is all about realizing all of the ways our mind is driven by attachment to pleasure and aversion from pain. It is all about detaching from all of these attachments. So a form of ascetism becomes very necessary.

For some people, ascetism becomes the centerpiece of their path. Certainly it is the centerpiece of monastic paths. Ideally, this path unfolds as a process of discovering and letting go of deeper and deeper attachments - subtler mental and emotional attachments - until one truly is 'off the wheel', no longer driven by this endless cycle.

However, it is also possible to become attached to the ascetism itself, to become attached to the practices. Then at a certain point, they are no longer leading one towards liberation. If ascetism is in anyway linked to old patterns of guilt, self-punishment, or fear, it will not lead to liberation any more than a life of hedonism would.

In the Tantric paths, especially the layperson Tantric paths, a different approach is used. Instead of withdrawing from the world in an ascetic fashion, we seek to engage with the world from the perspective of enlightened mind. We also use practices to connect us to enlightened mind, both in formal sitting meditation and in daily life (and the Tantric paths are not the only ones to do this.)

Every path has its pros and cons, it's risks and rewards. I think the biggest challenge of the ascetic path is that one can become very disconnected and dry emotionally, and also self-righteous, and all of this can end up keeping one very attached to the practices themselves. The risks of a more worldly path is that one will get lost in the world.

So everyone has to find their own way, what works for them. This is part of upaya, skillful means. I think you are in a phase of finding your upaya. I think I will rerun and updated version of my article on upaya later this week.

As for my own path, there have been times in my life when I have been very ascetic. I was celibate and led a very monastic like life for almost 5 years in my 20s. Now my life is very different - almost hectic in it's level of busyness and activity, in terms of parenthood, teaching, and writing. And yes, it also has many attachments. So now my path is about discovering and integrating the light I have found into every living moment. But I would not be to that point without having discovered what I did in my more ascetic phases.

So you have to find what is right for you right now. It requires a great deal of self-awareness and honesty, and a foundation in mindfulness (and in my view meditation also).

#815631 - 04/08/13 06:01 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher

Read a few hours of your book this afternoon.Dukkha,The Noble
Eightfold path.Rereading this book has made see new things that
you explain with such clarity and metta.

For that and all the rest ,I bowe to you.
loong the learner

#815698 - 04/09/13 12:44 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

What I love about living the Dhamma,is at one point,what is said to you ,good or bad,true or untrue,does not change or attack your Mind,RIGPA.Your Blissfulness is not attacked,instead Metta and Karuna come in action ,regarding the person or group of person ,that attacks you.

May you attain Mindfulnes, and this xtraordinary capacity.

loong
a learner

#815848 - 04/09/13 05:44 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

Rereading about rebirth,in your book.I have read many versions of what is transfered at rebirth.In the book of Tibetan living and.........

S.Rinpoche ,mentions it is important that your last thought be one of the positive side,
To help your rebirth.
Somewhere else I read that karma was transfered with your last piece of consciousnous.
So as to clear things up,may I know your version of what is transfered at death and rebirth,if You please.
Thanking you in advance,

Loong the learner

#816005 - 04/10/13 05:50 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear teacher,

Done it again.lost my post.Patience,is on the good side.So I will rewrite,my post.

In your e-book page 29 about the paramitas/perfections,in the last paragraph you write,regarding :GIVING,these beautiful words.There are 3types of giving.

First:the giving of material things.
Second:giving of the Dhamma,or spiritual teachings.
Third:the giving of courage or fearlessness in the defense or protection of others.

The one that interests me for this post is the Third..Since I have been deeply into
Buddhism,a few times ,I stood up to people that were abusing others.
When these happened ,I was told that a buddhist should not be involved in these
Situations.
Courage and total fearlessness,kick in .
Thank you for writing these words.
Loong
A learner
Mind you ,I might misunderstand your writings.

#816193 - 04/11/13 02:43 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi Loong, I will answer both your last 2 questions in this same reply. Also somewhere you had asked me about boddhisattvas and I asked you to clarify your questions as I was not sure I understand the question, but now I cannot find that thread?

Re: rebirth/death, to me these 2 statements do not contradict each other. Our thoughts are the product of our consciousness, so to say that our last thought is very important does not contradict saying that our overall consciousness at the point of death is what is.

However, when we talk about consciousness in relation to reflecting our karma, we are not simply talking about our mood in that one moment, or the thought we are having in any given moment. Our emotional, mental, or physical state in a moment is a reflection of our karma, but it isn't the totality of it. As you know, I think more in terms of our full energy body, and levels to our consciousness and subtle body. So our karma is the totality of all these levels of our being. So of course it is not so simple as just making ourselves be in a good mood at the moment of death (although of course this can help.) We want to have faced our fears, desires, and aversions over the course of our practice, so that we are meeting death with equinimity, honesty, and acceptance.

Re: your next question on the giving of fearlessness, and speaking up for others. In Tibetan Buddhism, there is this idea of 'wrath', which is a very strong speaking or acting against injustice. I was just reading a quote from a Tibetan teacher that is relevant here, about the difference between anger and wrath:

"Anger is sticky. There is you and I, hurt and neurosis. Wrath just means pointing out that something should have been done, that hasn't been done [or visa versa], but your love for the other person doesn't change."

I think this is the difference. When you speak out, is there personal anger? Or is it wrath, which always comes from a place of love? With wrath, you are the conduit for truth, with no personal hurt or stake involved. If you feel that feeling of having personal stake, of hurt, of being self-righteous, than that is anger. Of course Buddhists speak out against injustice, look at Thich Nhat Hanh.

Of course, either way, whether you discover you have spoken from anger or wrath, it is just part of your practice. Be grateful whenever you are shown another part of yourself, because if you were never shown it, you could not let it go.

Edited by Lisa - Buddhism (04/11/13 02:44 PM)

#816468 - 04/13/13 02:23 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,
You clarified 2 points,for which ,I thank you.One ,however.is not clear,because I am sure ,I did not express myself well>
When rebirth happens,what is transfered?

Thank you
loong the learner.

#816504 - 04/13/13 04:01 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

When rebirth happens,what is transfered?

The short answer is, I do not know! And by that I mean, I do not think we can completely know until we go through it ourselves in this lifetime. The Buddha taught us to test everything for ourselves - this is really the most important tenet in Buddhism.

However, I will tell you my own interpretation of the teachings at this point in my life. What is tranferred at death is best described as a set of energies and energy patterns - our samskaras. These are very abstract. In the Buddha's teachings, he talks about the different types of samskaras - emotional, mental, physical, perceptual - and as them in both their root and 'active' form. These are not personality or even psyche, they are the energetic underpinnings for these things. It is like if you could x-ray what is holding you together, holding together your sense of yourself as a separate being, and holding together your sense of the world as separate from yourself. Some of these are 'shared' in the sense of holding together our shared sense of reality. Others are specific to us - what we would think of as conditioned or psychological levels of ourselves. These are both formed but and reflections of our karma. Our karma is in a way the collection of our samskaras.

At the moment of death, what is transferred are those samskaras that we have not dissolved through practice. The point of the practices outlines in the Tibetan Book of the Dead is to give us one more chance to dissolve more (and hopefully all) of these samskaras in the clear light of reality. Whatever is not dissolved will be transferred.

#816507 - 04/13/13 05:18 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher

I remember in various groups I was a member of at one point,the most commun answer was the remaining Karma and the last part of consciousness,meaning last thoughts.

As you so put it ,in the first paragraph.Then we shall know.
So we are talking here of pure faith!

Loong the learner

#819960 - 05/08/13 12:38 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

As a buddhist ,one must have constant compassion and loving kindness,for oneself and for those living in mansland.
Lucky for me,these 2 flowers have bloomed and developped into my Mind(rigpa),taking away the anger, the stress of hate,most of my cravings.
May you let these 2 flowers bloom in your Mind,and get out a wee bit of mansland.
loong

#820244 - 05/09/13 04:32 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

My buddhism,is trying to become,the nicest person on earth.
Filled with love,compassion,loving kindness,undertanding.not judging.
It is much easyer than you think .

,,,,,,,,,,,TRY IT.........

Loong

#820804 - 05/14/13 06:38 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

Presently,having a bit of a hard time remaining very calm.
All the events of the last month ,where very exciting.To the least.What I have learned from my teacher Lisa, is to live these
moments.Nothing is permanent.
If I were a Theravadin I would be told to reject these feelings,
being only mental constructions.
Like Lisa always says,Mahayana,to the contrary encourages you,to live these moments ,being impermanent,also they are not Dukkha.

loong

#820851 - 05/14/13 02:15 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Yes, live these moments, do not feel aversion for them. But notice if you are living them in a different way now - can you live them but also know that your reaction/response to them is not who you are? I don't want to say it is like living on two levels but at first it may feel like that. Over time there is integration.

#821590 - 05/17/13 06:32 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Teacher,

Living on 2 levels.So hard on myself.Changing slowly.
Thank You

loong

#821760 - 05/19/13 12:31 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

In Tibetan Buddhism ,Mind is in 2 parts.The one that imagines.all kind of stuff,suffering fun,cravings attachment(sem)
Then there is what I like to call the real Mind(rigpa).The real creator of all the illusions of our lives.I find Rigpa to be without emotions,i beleive emotions belong to Sem.Rigpa has no emotions ,it is neutral,not influenced by our actions,emotions etc.

Because of Sem ,I keep going back to a place,I know ,I should not be there.First ,was the stabbing ,I received.Second ,tonite
I am there sipping a diet Pepsi.I go to the washroom,as I get up
I hit my forehead on the tissue paper machine.Two inch long cut
pretty deep.Blood poors out.I try to get some first aid supply.
They do not have any.So what do I do.Stop the flow of the blood
with the powers of Rigpa.I should have had stitches,but with the power again of Rigpa the creator,Blood dries up within minutes,
and creates a crust of dry blood over the gash.

Rigpa is the creator of all the illusions,truths and a host of other events,that makes our life what it is.

I now have had 2 warnings.The sort of craving,is strong.
Who will eventually win?Rigpa over Sem.

May you find your Rigpa.

Loong living in cuts and blood lately.Stubborn....

#822832 - 05/22/13 10:56 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

My buddhism as you read this in this instant,is a voyage in self
cleansing.Trying to rid myself of attachments,cravings,fetters.
Seems egoistical even egocentrical.At the same time,I have never been a better person than NOW.Ironic Is it not!

loong

#823359 - 05/26/13 12:47 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

My Buddhism ,is researching for myself first,then to share it with you.I am leaving now for my journey into words written by masters.
Mind you knowledge will not give you enlightenment.Following
The Noble Eighfold Path will.

Have a great Now.

loong
the learner

#824099 - 05/31/13 07:12 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

This morning at breakfast,I told a waitress that is supposed to be well advanced in spirituality,that last nite I was in a strip club.
She immediatly started saying that these people were of low value.
I wrote her a note that went about this way:When someone start judging others and consider the other persons as of lower class,
The person that judges and condems suffer from spiritual pride,
and goes against universal love.

Do not judge,everyone has a Buddha inside waiting to come out.
How is your Buddhahood coming along?

Mine is fine.

Loong

#824604 - 06/05/13 11:14 AM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,
Presently reading ANGER by Thich Nhat Hanh.Since my stabbing,
anger has appeared.The master,describes anger in many ways(a bookfull of ways).
What wakes anger in me is injustice.

I will leave it at that for today.

loong the learner.

#825024 - 06/07/13 05:15 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

After my first session with my phsychologist,I went to an A.A. meeting.This girl who's girlfriend is gone for a month doing
help in a third world country,invited me to lunch.She is very beautiful but dresses like a man.She is 20.We spoke ,she really trusts me because of what she shared about her most personnal secrets.She felt like shopping,so we shopped for 2 and a half hours.
My knees were starting to hurt,but I felt she still wanted me around.
What I gave her was Loving Kindness,and so did she.
This was buddhism at its best.Giving without expectations.

Felt great

loong
Mahayana

#825084 - 06/08/13 02:13 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

What I am about to write,is quite personnal.It does not involve my teacher,
Lisa Erickson,just me.

Why arehumans still having babies? To most of you ,this is an a bizarre question.

J.Y.COUSTEAU, morethan 25 years ago ,said if this planet is to survive,100,000.
People PER DAY,must die.We were then 2billion humans.We are now approaching 7
Billion humans.

My point is more and more humans are SUFFERING, (first noble truth).
The wheel of Samsara is spinning.

More and more infants are born with defects,mostly,intellectual,cancer has done a tremendous rise.New deseases are discovered every day.Making for more suffering
and that is just in the mansland.
These sick infants might not have the chance to be able to reach Spiritland,and being forced into rebirth .
I never had any children ,volontary,so as not to transfer through genethics,the suffering ,I was living.I never regretted my choice,when I see children having 4 grandparents,2 to3 rooms,a new father or mother every few years or so.

When someone buys a dog and gets fed up with it,can give it away,NOT A CHILD.

LOONG
Mahayana.

#825087 - 06/08/13 02:53 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

In the book by THICH NHAT HANH that I am reading ,on Anger,here is what he writes. Very close to my prior post.

Most of us are hiding a wounded infant at the bottom of their being.These wounds
might have been caused by our parents,who themselves suffered the same sufferings in their own childhood.Since they did not know how to threat their
wounds,they transfered them to us.

We must heal our wounds,so as not to transmit them TO OUR CHILDREN ,and our GRAND CHILDREN. We must go back to our own wounded child inside of us,to help
Him heal.

Loong
The messenger

I translated the text that is in french in the book.

#825156 - 06/09/13 02:38 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

I am. a very lucky person ,IS now have 3 teachrs/masters.
THICH NHAT HANH for his writing style,
THUBTEN DHONDRUB for his soft easyly understandable way of SPEACH and humble
Style.
LISA ERICKSON, whom ,I can share my most secret thoughts with.Not feeling judged
Or ostracised.She is also allowed to put me on the right path if I squander about.
Her knowledge ,being,immense,I listen.

Loong
Content
Mahayana

#825539 - 06/11/13 12:18 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I'm honored Loong. You have another teacher, one we all have - awareness itself. It is always lying in wait within each of us, waiting for us to notice it, waiting to unfold. We have everything we have within us, and outer teachers simply help guide us back to it.

I was reminded of this even more this past week on my retreat with Lama Tsultrim Allione. Although I attend many workshops and read many books, it has been a long time since I truly felt I was sitting with a teacher who was pointing me back to myself. It is a great gift when it occurs.

#825580 - 06/11/13 03:12 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Lisa

I am grateful and thankful,for walking my path with me.
You might not know this, but for me it was quite a humility act ,to ask someone for help,
All my life helping others.Quite a reversal .

Thank you from :the bottom of my heart:

Loong well taken care of.

#825607 - 06/11/13 07:47 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I had similar patterns - very self-sufficient, determined to be independent. It was really about trying to control my world. The spiritual journey requires a lot of surrender, of letting go. Allowing for teachers and help is a big step. It is an acknowledgement of our interconnectivity.

#826144 - 06/16/13 02:38 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To all or none,

I recently was able to put a picture of me on Facebook..What a surprise.!
Shades of Dhammapada,chapter eleven from 146 to 156.When your Sem thinks you are still 40,Then your Rigpa ,shows you a living corpse ,trying so hard to be 40.
Attached to my physical beauty! Quite an attachment..

I tried to put a picture of me on the system,but the system wanted a picture not more
than 200x200pixels. Does someone know how to reduce a picture size in a computor? I do not want to use an avatar,it is not an avatar writing to you,
Spilling his guts,not hiding anything to you.It,s a human.corpse.

Loong
If someone can help me ,I really would appreciate.

#826161 - 06/16/13 05:08 PM Re: What my Buddhism is about. [Re: loongdragon]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi Loong, what kind of computer are you on, do you have any graphics editing software? If you are on a PC, there is a basic default program. On a MAC you can just use the Preview program, and Adjust the size in there. You set the unit to pixels, and then adjust it to the size you want, and resave it under another name.