Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
StephaniePortman154, onefabulousof, nicpill, Nicole Scotte, zyad
57390 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57390 Members
417 Forums
113447 Topics
805443 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 688
Beetlemess 265
Jana - Creativity Editor 177
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 157
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 80
Susan - Meditation Editor 48
Mona - Astronomy 44
Nancy Roussy 44
Dianne W - Editor 39
Sandra Investing/HFinance 34
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#782035 - 09/10/12 09:09 PM Who is on your Board of Directors?
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Something we talked about a while ago is designing your personal Board of Directors. A group you can go to for advice when you need help. They don't have to be real. But imagining what they would say could be really helpful.

Here's a template I made for listing your people, and 3-4 key traits each one has -

If you make your images of your board members 200x200 they fit perfectly in those boxes.

Link -

http://www.bellaonline.com/misc/press/boardofdirectors.jpg

Who will be on yours?

Edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames (09/12/12 07:24 PM)

Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to Twitter Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to Facebook Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to MySpace Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to Del.icio.us Digg Who is on your Board of Directors? Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to Yahoo My Web Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to Google Bookmarks Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to Stumbleupon Add Who is on your Board of Directors? to Reddit
#782323 - 09/12/12 06:52 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

OK here's one I did up for myself, to show how it works -

It's fascinating how they all end up having fairly similar traits!

What sorts of people will end up on yours?

Edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames (09/12/12 06:52 PM)

Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Twitter Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Facebook Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to MySpace Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Reddit
#782327 - 09/12/12 07:22 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Here we go - here was the thread where we were talking about this originally, and how we each had different types of people we related to -

Personal Board of Directors

Edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames (09/12/12 07:22 PM)

Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Twitter Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Facebook Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to MySpace Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? to Reddit
#782333 - 09/12/12 07:41 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Cheryll - Bahá'í Life Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: California, USA
What a neat idea! Since retiring (all children out of the nest at last) I have been indulging in ME time, all those many neat creative things I always put off in order to take care of others first. But until now, it had not occurred to me to be more methodical about it, or to actually list everything I want to do... Just been sort of rushing from one shiny thing to the next, constantly distracted by new exciting things to do, only complaining that there do not seem to be enough hours in the day to do everything. Thanx

#782335 - 09/12/12 07:48 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Dear Cheryll -

It can become easy to rush around towards things. And it can be fun smile. Sometimes with a tiny bit of organization you can achieve more of your goals in a easier manner, which can be nice!

Definitely none of us have enough hours. We all want more hours. So a trick is to see where your hours are going and if they really serve your primary goals in life. Even if that goal is sitting on the beach soaking in the sun smile

#782336 - 09/12/12 07:51 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

I looked back at the other thread, and what's interesting is that in some cases I got more specific with my choice of who to list. For example I thought I would list Jane Austen. But she didn't come to mind as someone I'd actually want to sit and talk to. It's too "nebulous". So I went with Mr. Darcy who is one of her characters, who to me epitomizes loyalty, tenacity, stubbornness, and intelligence. Yes he has flaws, but as one voice in many I would love to hear his point of view.

In the same way I originally had listed JRR Tolkien but again that feels too nebulous to me. So I went with Aragorn who has focus, loyalty, moral character, and the willingness to take action.

#787311 - 10/10/12 09:53 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Lisa, why is dependable such a common theme on your board? That's something I never consider in people to be around.

#790156 - 10/30/12 12:26 AM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Dear Jilly -

Think of The Last of the Mohicans. The key scene in that movie is when the heroine is about to be taken by the enemy. The hero says in essence "Stay alive. I *will* come for you and rescue you. Believe in me." That scene is quoted by many people as one of the most powerful they've seen. It's that feeling that, when you're in trouble and completely lost, that someone will absolutely dedicate themselves to protecting you and keeping you safe.

Or think of Empire Strikes Back. Luke is hanging and near death. Nothing can save him. He sends out his thoughts to his sister, and she rescues him. He has lost everything, and he trusts in her. She is there for him, and she does not let him down.

Or think of Die Hard 2, where Glover is on the toilet, and Gibson is right there by him. He will not leave his partner. He stays by his side and puts his life on the line to save him.

That total trust, the total opening of a soul and believing in someone else to be there for you, is core to many viewers' emotions, apparently. So many movie scenes and novel scenes are based on that absolute faith in another person to be there.

I know that same emotion is core in my own life. I know absolutely that if I'm in trouble and I need help, that Bob will be there for me. There's no doubt in my mind. For me, that's the most important thing he can be. He will do whatever it takes.

Certainly, I am sure other people tie in to other emotions!

Lisa

#790210 - 10/30/12 02:45 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I don't have anything like that.

#790213 - 10/30/12 02:56 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

We're all different, and that's great! We all connect with different emotions.

I think you'd said once that a key scene for you was in Empire Strikes Back, when Leia reveals her heart and risks all. She calls out to Han, in front of everyone, "I love you." She knows it can be used against her by the enemy and she doesn't care. Han looks at her with a smile, and reveals that he's felt that same connection the entire time. He says, "I know." We can tangibly see that powerful, soul-deep connection between two people.

What are some of your other favorite scenes?

#790218 - 10/30/12 03:11 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I'm just thinking I don't have anyone like that for me. When I was suicidal, and then hospitalized, and then alone in my trailer, no one came out to help me. Not Dan, not my parents, not my sister, not an old friend. No one. No one came to me after William died either, and I was in complete grief.

Whereas when my father was hospitalized I took the first plane out to be with him. When my sister lost Anthony, I stayed with her for weeks so she would have someone there for her. When I was worried a friend might have had cancer, i told her I would drop everything to be nearby and help out.

So I guess looking for 'dependability' just isn't something I think about. The things I would do for others I don't seem to have anyone do to for me.

For my board of directors, I guess I am more interested in wisdom, humor, compassion and creativity.

#790222 - 10/30/12 03:47 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Dear Jilly -

This got complex quickly, so I am starting a separate thread smile.

Lisa

#790240 - 10/30/12 06:13 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Loc: Mont Tremblant,quebec Can
To Jilly,

If I read Lisa wright, it is your board of directors.Why don't
you fill it with people that you loved.During my whole life, I had to come out of hell ,like you,there was never anybody to help me.But I could find ,people that lived and were great helpers,Martin .l.King,Buddha,Jesus,not Jesus Christ,great
difference,the Sun,your inner power of survival.

Your friend
loong

#790250 - 10/30/12 06:35 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loong, you are totally correct - it's MY board. And on my board, whoever I put there is totally there for me. Excellent way to position that.

#791793 - 11/07/12 11:12 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Yes Loong is exactly right - every person can have on their board of directors whoever they wish! My aim was to provide insight into why my board was the way it was, not to imply that anybody else should use my board smile. We all have different boards, and that is great!

One of the suggestions from the books that recommend boards is that you look at your board and give thought to the common themes represented there. Ponder why certain people show up on there. Is it that you *want* those people - or is it that life has taught you to only *expect* those people?

For example Loong talks about putting on a board the people that a given person loved. However, often fate puts us in situations where we love people who are not reliable. I.e. let's say I grew up with alcoholic parents. Yes, I loved them. And yes, in their way, they loved me. But I can still choose not to have them on my board. I am creating an ideal board here, one which helps me reach my innermost goals.

So I think what I'm saying is don't restrict yourself to what life has given you so far. Don't be "stuck" with anything at all. Open your mind to the ultimate heroes and heroines you can imagine, and then imagine they are there just for you, to be there for you. Let your mind be free of all influence. It doesn't matter what I put on my board, or what anybody else put on their boards. It doesn't matter what life has been like in the past. This is the future, and it starts today smile.

#795276 - 12/05/12 10:28 AM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
AKLisa- Knitting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
This seems like a cool idea to examine personal values and inspire to stick with them.
the theme people ar enticing on their boards are interesting, too.

#796253 - 12/16/12 12:58 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Lisa - it definitely is fun to see who we are all inspired by! It gives us even more ideas for who we can "turn to".

#808865 - 02/28/13 12:37 PM Re: Who is on your Board of Directors? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I used my BOD yesterday at the dentist. I consulted Tim Gunn, Gandalf and House while getting dental surgery. They each had different advice for me, all good.

Tim Gunn hugged me and remarked how beautiful my teeth are, and how courageous it was I was taking steps to keep a beautiful smile.

Gandalf told me some days are harder to live through than others, but a hero has to make the best of what we are given.

House sarcastically asked me if I wanted to keep my teeth, and poked me with his cane.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  JOY ( Self Development ) 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Today at 05:48 PM
ADD and Planning a Pleasant Holiday
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 04:54 PM
Salad Time
Low Carb
Today at 03:11 PM
We Chose Spain as a Family Friendly Destination
by Tiffiny - Family Travel
Family Travel
Today at 01:52 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Today at 01:03 PM
Wavelight
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 11:56 AM
Massachusetts Audubon Photography Contest
New England Travel
Today at 11:52 AM
What do you Have for Breakfast?
Low Carb
Today at 10:50 AM
What Yoga did you Do Today?
Yoga
Today at 10:45 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 09:22 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.