Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Arca Decks, arrowproject, Ashley Jessica, tmelton, ninahaska
56561 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56561 Members
417 Forums
111429 Topics
785928 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 252
Nancy Roussy 169
loongdragon 148
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 140
Rosie 66 138
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 91
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 56
Lestie4containergardens 50
Mona - Astronomy 48
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#787251 - 10/10/12 11:37 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Dear Jilly -

If your goal is to not talk to the stranger about your life, then it seems you have hit upon the perfect solution! It's a fun answer, one they will enjoy.

So, just to clarify a bit, when you had said "I'd rather know what they do in their spare time" does that mean you'd enjoy talking about that? Or do you mean that this would be a slightly improved but still painful topic?

Add Re: What Do You Do? to Twitter Add Re: What Do You Do? to Facebook Add Re: What Do You Do? to MySpace Add Re: What Do You Do? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What Do You Do? Add Re: What Do You Do? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What Do You Do? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What Do You Do? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What Do You Do? to Reddit
#787260 - 10/11/12 12:06 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I like to hear about people's hobbies, just not what they do for money. It's a trigger for me. But if they like to make stain glass windows, travel in europe or grow orchids, that sounds interesting.

What people do NOT do for a living seems like a stress-free topic to me.

Add Re: What Do You Do? to Twitter Add Re: What Do You Do? to Facebook Add Re: What Do You Do? to MySpace Add Re: What Do You Do? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What Do You Do? Add Re: What Do You Do? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What Do You Do? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What Do You Do? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What Do You Do? to Reddit
#787276 - 10/11/12 12:25 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lori-Dreams Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

I agree, Jilly. My daughter struggles with this question. Because of her age, people assume she goes to college but she doesn't. She also doesn't have a job. For a while now, I would intervene and tell people that her focus on on getting well as she was receiving treatments for her disorder. That was a conversation stopper.

But now that she has stopped treatment, she is having the same problem. I tell her that she is now my personal assistant and we have a home-based business (true) selling self help books. Internet businesses are popular now.

So Jilly, if you were a bird, which type of bird would you be? smile

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

#788761 - 10/21/12 03:27 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
JOY ( Self Development ) Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: England, UK
Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
When someone asks you, What do you do? Are you joyful and proud with the response you give? Or do you hedge, or feel uncomfortable with your response?

Hi Lisa, when people ask �What do you do?� this is what I think they really want to know:

What Do You Do?

#789570 - 10/25/12 07:20 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
mcburch Offline

I am new to Bellaonline and am in transition from homeopath to writer...Woohoo! I am loving the shift from caring for ill people to writing about my twenties when I was a war journalist in Afghanistan after the Soviet invasion. I was so excited to write I wrote a second book this year called, &quot;The Four Methods of Journal Writing: Self-Transformation through Memoir&quot; inspired by my over 30 years of journaling and the new memoir I wrote:) It's great to find you guys... Thanks!

#789852 - 10/28/12 11:39 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: mcburch]
JOY ( Self Development ) Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: England, UK
Originally Posted By: mcburch
I am new to Bellaonline and am in transition from homeopath to writer...It's great to find you guys...

Welcome! Wish you all the best best in the transition to 'writer'. You'll get lots of tips, advice and support on BellaOnline. (JOY)

#789864 - 10/28/12 03:46 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lori-Dreams Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

For all my grumblings about being pigeon-holed into one "role" I just read how focus is vital to success. Maybe that is precisely what is holding me back: too many interests. Scattering my energy is not a good idea.

So now it is time to define myself in a more focused fashion. What do I do?

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

#790145 - 10/30/12 03:48 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

I think one topic which is coming up here is that an assumption is made that "what do you do" is about money. It doesn't have to be!! It can be about what you LOVE to do.

If someone asks me "what do you do" I could say "I love to kayak". It is absolutely true!

So I think it might help to shed all connections with money or income. The question is about the activities you do. We can answer from the heart smile And that is a perfect answer!

Would a nun in a convent answer about money? smile

#790147 - 10/30/12 03:54 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Lori -

I believe it is about a balance. If you have just one single interest you could burn out. If all I did all day every was kayak, that might be too much for me. But I like to kayak sometimes, and write novels sometimes, and do yoga sometimes, and so on. Now the other side of it is I don't do yoga once a month, kayaking once a month, Wii dancing once a month, and 80 thousand other things once a month. I do have some consistency with the things I do.

So I think there's a middle ground. I love having origami paper, and paper crafts, and bath salts, and other creative things to play with. That is fine. At the same time, I have some central themes that keep me grounded.

So the question is perhaps are your interests in the range of 20 items - or 2,000 items? smile

#790176 - 10/30/12 08:03 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Ninjahedgewych Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Portsmouth, England
I usually reply "When"? since I have a steady job with the council, write on a variety of things, am deeply involved in following the Pagan path, am a qualified hypnotherapist, masseur, counsellor, and reflexologist, and am constantly expanding my skills base. smile

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  JOY ( Self Development ) 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Father Hell - Astronomer
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 12:06 PM
Gardening and Attention Deficit Disorder
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 10:41 AM
Soup du jour
Sandwiches
Today at 10:37 AM
Ham Sandwich Ideas
Sandwiches
Today at 10:35 AM
Family Traditions Highlighted This Easter Season
by Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd
African-American Culture
Today at 10:18 AM
How do i make my skin soft,clear and fair?
by Jessica Lee
Cosmetics
Today at 09:25 AM
Weight Gain and Menopause
by Dr. Denise- Gynecology
Gynecology
Today at 08:59 AM
Fashion
by A Style Life
Beauty Basics
Today at 05:16 AM
How to buy quality Silver rings?
by A Style Life
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 05:14 AM
Detaching from the Drama
by firefly
New Age
Today at 04:38 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
4 registered (Izeigo, Mona - Astronomy, Kathryn - Short Stories, MissDreamer), 92 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.