Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
madhvi, daves101, debbiebbb, Anne_0921, Ebnul Karim Benzima
56592 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56592 Members
417 Forums
111508 Topics
786402 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 274
Nancy Roussy 174
Rosie 66 154
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 135
loongdragon 109
James Andrew 108
Lestie4containergardens 73
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 64
Jilly 57
Susan - Meditation Editor 53
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#781837 - 09/09/12 11:54 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
It's funny how we need to pigeon hole ourselves with a single title when we do so many different things. I want to say that I am first and foremost an appreciator of life, but that gets weird looks so I say that I am an online content provider.

Yet, I really am a wife, mother, substitute teacher, crisis hotline counselor, entrepreneur, caretaker, writer, author, dream interpreter, clairvoyant medium and student. But rattling off that list elicits weird looks, too.

I'm thinking about returning for my third degree. I have a BA in journalism and an MA in Education. Yet, for years Tina, I was also "just a mom." That was my proudest and most gratifying--and most important--job ever.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Add Re: What Do You Do? to Twitter Add Re: What Do You Do? to Facebook Add Re: What Do You Do? to MySpace Add Re: What Do You Do? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What Do You Do? Add Re: What Do You Do? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What Do You Do? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What Do You Do? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What Do You Do? to Reddit
#782015 - 09/10/12 09:45 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Tina - it's interesting how people put people into categories. We are all so many things, and that's wonderful! Maybe you could wear a button that says "I'm an author!" and that would encourage discussion smile. Or if it was a casual get-together, you could get a t-shirt done with a book cover on it and your name.

Add Re: What Do You Do? to Twitter Add Re: What Do You Do? to Facebook Add Re: What Do You Do? to MySpace Add Re: What Do You Do? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What Do You Do? Add Re: What Do You Do? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What Do You Do? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What Do You Do? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What Do You Do? to Reddit
#782016 - 09/10/12 09:47 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Lori - I do imagine that having an "elevator speech" is a good thing. I imagine if we wanted to we could probably talk for hours about all the things we've accomplished in life, which is certainly wonderful, but that's probably not good as a conversation starter. smile

So the interesting challenge is to distill the most important things down into a quick description, and then of course as you talk more with a person you can share your other interests as well. Which then has the interesting question of what ARE the most important things? And why?

#782043 - 09/11/12 02:00 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

Loc: Virginia
So many upbeat responses! I think it's great when people have a passion for what they do - it comes out when they talk to people!

What do I do?

I spend my days helping people to realize their career dreams. In other words I am an HR Manager who spends her days, not only recruiting and approving payroll - but I coach and counsel staff. I have a box of tissues on my desk, but nothing makes me happier then to see someone finally "get it." or to mentor and coach people into becoming management. My love for helping people to succeed carries through to all of my outside activities -- in what I write and also by being President of the Board HRA-NCA (DCSHRM). I'm also on several committees in the County I work for and am a certified trainer for the IPSLEI leadership program.

But above that I'm a twice divorced mom with three wonderful kids and a grandchild - and guiding them through life, being there to hold their hands when they hurt and also to celebrate their success truly defines who I am.

Edited by Dianne W - Editor (09/11/12 02:02 AM)

Career Training Site
Job Search Site

Do you want to talk to the man in charge or the woman who knows what's going on?

#785769 - 10/02/12 12:15 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jenny A. Offline

Loc: Texas
Wow, all of you women are very impressive! I don't know why any of you would hesitate to say proudly what you do! However, I guess I do understand that feeling of not being good enough. Or in my case, of being thought to be an imposter, if that makes sense. I'm a writer, and I'm published. But when I tell people this, often they ask, &quot;Have I read anything you've written?&quot; I always think -- how would I know what you've read! :) So I hesitate, because I think people don't take me seriously if I'm not as well known in the field as, say, J.K. Rowling!

#786414 - 10/05/12 07:35 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
This is my most dreaded question. I feel like it is really nosy and personal. I'd rather be asked something unusual, like, "if you could be a bird, what kind would you be?"

Anything but the "let me fit you into what society says is acceptable to judge."

#786419 - 10/05/12 07:46 PM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

Loc: Virginia
People should be proud of whatever they do, if not, why do it?

Some people are cruel. They feel better about themselves when they criticize and judge others. I think it's their problem, not mine. I have always wondered where the cruelty gene came from.

Career Training Site
Job Search Site

Do you want to talk to the man in charge or the woman who knows what's going on?

#786445 - 10/06/12 02:10 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

The "what do you do" question is so traumatizing for me that I often discuss it with my case manager. It really is nobody's business what I do. I don't see why this is an acceptable question to discuss with strangers.

I've even made up a 'distraction' technique so i don't have to answer this at all. I tell people I am living on a beach in Margaritaville. I get to laugh, they usually laugh, and then hopefully they move on.

A few people persist and and then I have to try really hard to not to squirm and say, "I don't like talking about it," or worse, "that's a bit personal." I never know what to do in these cases and it usually comes out wrong.

There has go to be some kind of less invasive way to get to know people, something a whole lot more creative than the knee-jerk "what do you do?" Why do I care what someone does? That doesn't make them a person. I'd rather know what they do in their spare time.

I swear I don't write these things to be contrarian. It just shows me how differently I see the world, for good or for ill.

Edited by Jilly (10/06/12 02:12 AM)

#786993 - 10/10/12 12:01 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Dear Jilly -

We are all different people, and that is great! It makes the universe interesting.

I think for many people that they feel the way to get to know a person is to learn what they like to spend their time doing. So they ask. The person who responds gets to share whatever they want to about what they like to do. So it is completely up to the responder to talk about whatever aspect of their life they are in the mood to share. They have complete control.

Maybe it would help to look at the "ritual" a little differently? They are usually not trying to judge you or pigeonhole you. They are simply interested in a new human being. They are curious. Curiosity is great!

So share something you love. "I love researching frugal living options to help the world save money". People would adore that idea! Talking about what you love to do should be, I think, core to human interactions. It shares that joy.

I think if you start a conversation with an assumption that the person is a fun, curious entity who wants to learn about your passions in life, then that helps!

#787058 - 10/10/12 04:57 AM Re: What Do You Do? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

But I don't want to talk about it at all. It's personal. And it will lead to more questions, which I will feel impelled to answer. I don't like talking to strangers about my life. it is a source of stress.

The Margaritaville thing I don't mind saying, for some reason, because of the fun fantasy element, i guess.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  JOY ( Self Development ) 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
44 minutes 1 second ago
Salad Time
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Low Carb
54 minutes 14 seconds ago
De-Tethering from the Internet
Low Carb
Today at 08:50 PM
What Is The Wiccan Great Rite?
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Wicca
Today at 07:41 PM
International Dark Sky Week - Save the Night!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 07:26 PM
The Gifts of ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 07:10 PM
Against Punishment for Kids with ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 06:49 PM
Walking Off Belly Fat
by CarlaCano-Walking Editor
Walking
Today at 06:18 PM
Lower Your Investing Expectations
by Sandra - Investing
Investing
Today at 05:57 PM
Invest your money in right way
by Sandra - Investing
Investing
Today at 05:52 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Izeigo), 144 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.