Next Thread
Print Thread
#779444 08/27/12 09:32 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Whenever Pagans get together around a fire sooner or later the talk turns to nostalgic items that no longer seen available. Such things as shops that used to sell loose leaf herbs by the scoop, herbal tea that came in waxed packets, and places that helped you to blend your own incense.

What sort of things do you miss from the past?

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 08/27/12 09:54 AM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Gathering wild herbs in the woods and meadows, forests and mountains.

Gathering herbs is a ritual in itself. Some herbs had to be used in a little ceremony (personal) on night of the full moon and in the nude. Has anyone ever done that?

I also miss having a healing garden of herbs and a magick garden. Living in an apartment with no private yard is hard to get used to.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Do you have a little patio or other private sitting area, Phyllis? Maybe some potted herbs in such a place might give you some comfort in this regard. Many apartments don't have this luxury though and I can see how you would miss having a private yard. Perhaps a very sunny window could support a few potted herbs for you to enjoy.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Sounds like a good idea. I had the impression you were out in the countryside a bit rather than an apartment dweller. Is it more urban or rural where you are Phyllis?

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
It is like country out back -- desert hills along a little mountain range. I gather my desert sage (non-culinary) out there for smudging purposes.

I have a little patio with small container gardens and can grow some herbs out there. This year I did not get a chance to plant much at all. Next spring I plan on getting more herbs and less flowers.

Nostalgia: did you ever find out about the wax paper lining in the tea boxes, Ian? I would think Celestial Seasonings would want to help their teas stay fresher.

Last edited by PhyllisFolkMythAppalachia; 09/17/12 06:46 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
In the UK I think they took all the wax linings out in the early '90s. They seem to rely on the plastic wrapping on the outside of the box- or people putting the tea bags in airtight tins or Tupperware frown

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
We still have the wax lining in the Celestial tea boxes. For my other teas, bags or loose leaf, I like to store in glass jars with with lids.

I am surprised that you do not have shops that sell loose leaf teas and herbs by the scoop. I purchase my herbs at an herb shop where they still sell by the scoop. I need to go there again to replenish my stock.

Do you still get products sold in glass jars? I save the gallon pickle (dills) jars for my herbs, teas, and other dry foods, like rice and beans. Many of our products no longer come in glass jars, but plastic jars that are not as useful because they are not easy to keep clean.

I also save glass jars for my beads. Do many pagans still make their own bracelets and necklaces? I have been saving special beads to make my own unique prayer bead necklace.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lots of stuff in the UK comes in glass jars smile Linda saves some for her craft beads, as does her sister, and I still took seven or eight to be recycled yesterday. I think a lot of people in the UK are suspicious of what can leak from plastic, such as pseudo-oestrogens, and it does affect the taste of some products

Also on the bead front I've just finished setting up my latest book which is about Love Magick, and the Power of Love in
Magick in Lulu. I'll send you some of the chapter via e-mail soon. smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.