Print Thread
C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
Our library has offered both craft programs and book discussion groups -- neither are well attended consistently. However, an idea occurred to me -- what if we combined them? Crafting while LISTENING to a book might be something people would enjoy. How about you? Would you enjoy listening to a book while crafting? Why or why not?

Audiobook Crafternoons at the Library

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello there Christine,

Way back in the mists of time when I was at school we used to combine books and current affairs with the antics of the debating society. Well there is much to say on each of these, but in the light of your questions above how about choosing a current and standard pro and con argument that is out there, try to attach it to a book AND a craft then combine all three in a library event.

Do you believe that Beauty pageants are worthwhle events or do you think they belittle the modern woman?

Combine that 45 minute debate with a jewellery or beading craft class and a book say that has a theme on 'not judging a book by its cover' or 'beauty tips for teens to whenever?'

To vampire or not to vampire? Similar.

To attend boarding school or not?

Is Shakespeare still relevant in today's school curriculum?

Is Latin really a dead language?

The debates need to be set up - you need to find advocates for each of the position who will volunteer to lead the discussion and who will prepare a one page bullet-list paper which will be handed out the week before. Back to back this will give both sides of the argument. That way you will get an idea of how many may attend, and those that do attend will have a kickstart on forming their own opinions, will discuss it with their friends maybe and will come to the library to do research to read or ...you go on.

Of course one has to avoid the usual minefields, but treated correctly I believe you could.

Only if you go the adult route MIGHT you be able to go with a more serious themes. Kidnapping. Divorce. etc.

I would suggest that there be no winner and no loser in the debates. They are there only to teach, introduce new ideas, enlighten and expose etc etc and so on.

Maybe this would spark some ideas for your craft afternoons. I have sort of just started to learn Mosaic and what a cornucopia of themes come from this hobby ... from books, famous works, artists and such to home decorating events and outside speakers who would love to come and share.

Oh dear, there is so much more to say!

People like to collect things that spur them on so maybe you could offer something that shows they have attended, like a button or a certificate of sorts.

I used to be in event management at one time and we used these campaign style buttons and our teens loved them. The idea came from an event I organised to teach entrepreneurship and small home business ideas. Well, that young person is still doing buttons, she has engaged around 20 rural women to make all sorts of buttons. She has done much like this, has invested in her farming community and has put herself through university doing this. I am sure you could work this in somehow with your idea above or with your library services?

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 09/02/12 09:46 AM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.