Print Thread
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Fall makes me start thinking of corned beef sandwiches. Now that the weather is cooler, I feel like cooking the brisket for hours to get that tender and tasty corned beef. Here are two new recipes for updated corned beef sandwiches.

Corned Beef Sandwich Recipes

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Connie,

Our first major disagreement sandwich-wise!!! If you were brought up in Brookline, Mass and during your formative years were weaned on the corned beef at Reuben's Delicatessen and Jack and Marions, the ONLY condiment that could ever grace that precious meat without being sacreligious was a huge dollop of a spicy MUSTARD accompanied by a Kosher dill pickle. If you applied anything else to your corned beef you would be a first class schmendrick and schlemiel. If not between two slices of rye bread, its only other resting place, er I mean eating place should be between two potato latkes, once again with mustard. Ask Yentl and she will be able to tell you were it is written!

At least your article did not mention or advocate Wonder Bread as my long departed bubbe would now be rolling over out of control.

Last edited by Les-Mexico; 09/01/12 07:26 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Connie,

Since my family isn't Jewish, we won't feel any guilt whatsoever eating your yummy sounding dressing on our corned beef sandwiches, and no departed relative will be rolling in his/her grave! I always cook mine in the slow cooker since it needs almost no hands-on time. Corned Beef is actually one of my family's favorite dinners and I always serve colcannon (a mixture of cabbage sauteed in butter, creamy mashed potatoes, and a pool of melted butter sitting in the middle) with it. I learned long ago that leftovers were non-existent if I didn't cook two large ones. If I want it thinly sliced for sandwiches, I have a butcher nearby that offers a corned beef round roast that isn't quite as tender since it's very lean, but makes good sliced meat for sandwiches (I'm sure they don't serve those at Jewish delis either, but I like them anyway). One of my kids won't eat reubens, so I am excited to offer your new dressing for his sandwiches.

I'm also thankful to know that there are other Americans that are appalled at the idea of marshmallowy soft Wonder bread which I think is an abomination just like American cheese (thanks Les)! I don't know what a first class schmendrick and schlemiel is, since the only Jewish things I know are what I learn from reading Faye Kellerman novels, but I just might be one.

Thanks, Connie for your constantly innovative new sandwich ideas. I used to think I wasn't a real sandwich lover, but have changed my mind.

Karen Hancock, Quick Cooking Editor
Quick Cooking Website
Quick Cooking Forum

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Les and Karen, we all agree that corned beef is delicious! Les, I would love spicy mustard on rye with corned beef. Also, Karen the colcannon sounds fantastic.

Years ago Kansas City was blessed with a Jewish deli called the New York Bakery and Deli. When I was a young woman, they had wonderful corned beef. Sadly, with the demise of New York Bakery, I have to make my own corned beef. Karen, slow cookers do work well. My own slow cooker went to live on a college campus this year!

I'm glad that you guys enjoyed the recipe.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OH BUT YOU PEOPLE ARE WICKED!

I won't carry on shouting as I lament the Oh Me Miserum 20 times (using my fingers and toes) ... my feelings right now as I add a Corned beef to my shopping list to eat with and how all the right things as noted above ... will try your dressings Connie, have to agree with Les that buttered 100% rye bread and hot sweet mustard is the only way to go ('cept I add finely shredded lettuce) and as for colcannon sandwiches, well Karen, they are a stand alone favorite as well and all and all.

Now I was going to ask you who or what is a Reuben, but that has been answered so cm'on Les, let's have a good definition now of 'schmendrick' and 'schlemiel' The words sound wonderful though not to be used too often? Say a say please, ta

P S of sorts forgot my whole or nibbled crispy dill pickle in one hand and my corned beef sarmie in the other. Got to have sweet tea too please and thanks, AND a really good thriller movie to watch.

Tut Connie, at this rate I will never get into my Cinderella dress let alone my glass slipper ever again.

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 09/02/12 08:19 AM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Reuben is a yummy concoction of grilled rye bread, sauerkraut, corned beef, Swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing. I love them.

One of my best memories of time with my mom was going to an ice skating show. Afterwards, we went to a cafe where she had worked years before. She was still remembered, and we also got to see some of the ice skaters. Plus, the Reuben was the best that I have ever had. Good times...

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Reubens are an absolute delight, but I also like my corned beef sandwiches with other toppings as well, or just with some mustard.

There is a small grocery chain about an hour away from me that makes a lot of their own prepared foods, as well as pickling their own briskets for corned beef. Bringing one of those briskets home to cook is a real delight, because it truly makes the best corned beef I have ever had. The flavor is far superior to the packaged commercial briskets in the larger supermarkets, and well worth the extra money.

I have even taken the leftovers from a corned beef dinner, including the resulting broth (adding a beef boullion or two), and made the most delicious corned beef soup. The chunks of meat, potatoes, cabbage, and carrots make a hearty soup enjoyed for the next few days. It's so easy to make too, because all you do is throw the cut up meat and vegetables all together back into the cooking pot. It's already cooked. I would never dream of saving the broth from the commercially packaged briskets, but a nice freshly made local brisket makes a very tasty broth that I hate to waste.

Last edited by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor; 09/04/12 08:58 AM.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Debbie, we have a local butcher shop that has wonderful meat. If I get by there, and can afford it, I'll try to buy some corned beef.

Guess what? I have a lovely hot potato salad that would be dynamite with the corned beef. The recipe is coming soon.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.