Next Thread
Print Thread
#779276 08/25/12 07:16 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The first human being to set foot on another world died today.

When Neil Armstrong's love of flying began in childhood and he got his pilot's license at 16 - he didn't yet have a driver's license - he could never have dreamed how far he would fly one day.

Armstrong earned a degree in aerospace engineering, which remained his absorbing interest along with the actual flying. He became a Navy pilot and flew nearly eighty combat missions. Later he was a test pilot and then an astronaut. After he left NASA he went into university teaching until he retired to his farm.

As a quiet, reserved man who shunned the limelight, being one of the most famous men in history was difficult. Nonetheless he went his own way and didn't capitalize on his fame.

To his family his death is a deep, personal loss. To those of us who remember the night of July 20/21, 1969, when the whole world held its breath, it's a piece gone of our personal history, as well as one of the defining events of the 20th century.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 08/27/12 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Armstrong's family's tribute ended with these words:

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Parakeet
Parakeet
I listened to Coast to Coast last night. It was an old show with Art Bell. He interviewed some moron who contended that man never walked on the moon, that astronauts only went into "low earth orbit." What is wrong with these guys, that they continue to disseminate misinformation and lies? They are in the same category as conspiracy theorists who believe Elvis is still alive. The sad part is they are influencing kids who do not know any better.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I agree, Jim, that it's sad to see the influence of moon hoaxers on younger people. It's also sad that young people don't learn how to search for reliable information on the net or enough science to understand what they've found.

The hoaxers themselves seem to be sad individuals who, instead of achieving something worthwhile themselves, feel important if they think they are able to destroy the achievements of others. The moon hoaxers are just one example of many. I guess they feel like crusading heroes fighting against an enemy powerful enough to hide "the truth".

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Following Armstrong's family's tribute, readers of Universe Today were asked to send their pictures if they went out and winked at the Moon. Here is a gallery that includes some quite lovely images. Winking at the Moon in Memory of Neil Armstrong

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes you said it perfectly Mona. For any of us who can remember that night it is not only an unforgettable event from the 20th century, it's part of our history and memories.

At the time he apparently said:

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn�t feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."

What a picture he gave us with that quote, and what a modest man, and role model, he continued to be.

Will definitely be winking at this weeks full moon, and thinking of him and that "edge of the seat" evening.

Super images by the way, thanks for posting them.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Quote:
"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn�t feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."

Francine, Zen Pencils (a great site, worth checking out) has illustrated that quote by Armstrong as a tribute.

Neil Armstrong a Giant among Men

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Neil Armstrong�s burial service September 14, 2012, aboard the USS Philippine Sea
(image credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls)

Parakeet
Parakeet
There is still not much incentive to return to the moon. The drive for Mars in on now.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.