Next Thread
Print Thread
#776428 08/04/12 06:08 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My lush basil bushes are producing vibrant, broad, green leaves. Unfortunately, a lot of the leaves have small holes in them. Do you know what type of bug likes to eat basil?

I'm heartbroken because the leaves now have a somewhat bitter flavor. Still made some pesto and dried some, too. But I would like to stop the bug eating, even if they don't eat much. They still cause the plant to defend itself with some bitter chemical reactions.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
B
Hello Lori,

I'm sorry to hear about your basil being attacked. Firstly, have you seen the bug that might be doing the damage? It could be a beetle, worm or aphid...but without seeing it, it is hard to figure out. But these three have been known to eat their way through herbal gardens.

I would suggest a couple things. One would be companion gardening. Try planting white geraniums and marigolds in with your herbs. This keeps unwanted pests at bay.

Secondly, try homemade "natural" sprays. You could try putting a couple drops of dish soap (non bacterial), a few drops of listerine, sprinkle in some hot powders such as cayenne and some garlic juice into a spray bottle filled with water...shake well and spritze the heck out of the plants. Also spray at the base of the plants in the soil to prevent them from crawling back up.

My husband swears by this and makes up a batch every spring. You will need a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer. Take 1 cup of liquid dish soap, 1 cup of antiseptic mouthwash, 1 cup of chewing tobacco juice...put into the hose end sprayer and top up with water. *To make the tobacco juice, place approx. 3 fingers of the tobacco into a nylon stocking, soak in a gallon of hot water until dark brown, strain...voila, your tobacco juice. Apply sprays and tonics after 7 p.m. in the evenings and every other week.

Another trick is to go out with a flashlight just before dawn and see what might be attacking your plants. You can pick them off and then spray...that might do the trick.

It is best to spray your garden with a mild liquid soap and water mixture every couple weeks during the entire growing season.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you catch the culprit! Happy herbing Lori!

Bettina Thomas-Smith, Herbs Editor
Herbs Website
Dogs Website
Dogs Forum
My Website

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi there Everyone,

I had some points I wanted to make here but oh dear, there were so many that the post was too long so I turned it into an article by revising it and have posted it to the CG site.

Sorry to hear about your basil Lori, it is a heartbreaker when it (whatever you are growing, flowers, veges and herbs or fruits and trees) get attacked, especially if the pest is not readily identifiable.

The thinking I will speak of here is that I differ with Bettina on the opinion and practice of using TOBACCO products in the garden, least of all like sprays or dusts for pest control. Tobacco is a poison and in my book is not good in any format for the garden.

I say again, please don't use it in any form, but then it is a choice for the gardener, so I guess all I can do is ask and continue to promote the NO-side of this argument.

Hope by this action that I have not upset you in any way Bettina, I love your articles and all the fine advice you offer.

Good gardening wishes to all...

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
B
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
B
Hello Leslie, thank you for your comments. I am in no way offended by what you say...freedom of speech to all of us. :-)

We too have gone the "holistic/natural" route when it comes to sprays. When my husband got ill, we changed the way we did things completely and now only use stuff that won't harm him/us or our pets.

That being said, the one spray using the tobacco is when all else fails and before resorting to extremely harmful pesticides that will kill anyting it comes into contact with. That spray will not do that and has gotten rid of some terrible bugs that were destroying our plants. It did not kill any of the "good" bugs.

So I only put that out there as an option...to use as each person sees fit.

Thank you kindly for your imput.

Herbs Website
Dogs Website
Dogs Forum
My Website

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I like your tips for pests, Bettina. Thank you.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Bettina! Thanks for your help! One question, does the tobacco juice affect the flavor of the basil?

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
B
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
B
Hello lori,

As with anything you spray on your garden, just be sure to wash your herbs/produce carefully to get it clean - that is good practice anyways, removing bugs, sand, etc.

Even though we practice "organic" you can never be really sure. If a farmer a few miles down the road sprays his field, you will get the chemical drift depending on which way the wind is blowing. Sad but true.

Let me know how your herbs turn out!

Herbs Website
Dogs Website
Dogs Forum
My Website

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.