Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I'm reading Susan Maushart's non-fiction book, The Winter of Our Disconnect, which I wrote about in my latest newsletter. This made me think of a recent conversation in which my husband and I recalled writing letters. Don�t you just miss receiving a handwritten letter � unfolding the paper, savoring page after page, and then reading it all over again? E-mail is just so different.

Many classic authors are famous for writing long letters that are almost literary works in their own right: Flaubert, Dickens, Twain, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Woolf. Reading their published correspondence, we see them as ordinary people, men and women who worked at their craft. It seems a shame that writers of our time won�t be leaving behind such richness of material.

What do you think?

Last edited by Lane LitFic; 08/24/11 02:30 AM.

Lane Graciano
Today in History
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lane I agree letters are great and I miss them. I found in my last job, working at a Citizens Advice Bureau (free advice for the general public on issues such as consumer, debt, employment, housing etc) I got to write loads of PROPER letters - I really enjoyed them, and also the good responses I received! It was a revelation, as for years I had hardly written any letters. Whilst I don't do letters much I do try and send cards with more than just a quick greeting in them.

You are right that letters can say so much about peoople. I recently wrote an article about the Brontes for English Culture, and was interested to see how much letters that had survived had helped us create a picture of their lives and history.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Asha, when I posted the thread I'd just read an excerpt from one of Charlotte's letters where she describes "Ellis" and "Acton" sewing � it's so charming. I also try to write cards and at least short notes when I can, but I find that I don't even know the snail-mail addresses of many of my friends. Shame on me.

I've just been to your site. I love Nigella � and my husband, who is the cook in the house, absolutely adores her! Thank goodness for Saatchi, or else he might well run off to England one of these days smile

Lane Graciano
Today in History
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lane Nigella is great isn't she? And she doesn't look her age - she is now 51.

I know what you mean about snail mail addresses. One of my failings is texting people to ask for the address if I want to send them a postcard/card/info then deleting the text and not recording the address in a permanent place. Over the years I have lived at a lot of places and often find friends who are good with address books have several addresses for me...

Good to hear you enjoying the Bronte letters. Their world was so different to the world we live in now.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

G
G
It has been a long time since my last letter writing to my friend. I think letters is steel a good way to make contact with our friends.

R
R
When I was a kid I used to look forward to receiving letters. I still remember writing everyone I knew and looking forward to receiving something back in the mail. By the time I was an adult e-mails were already the norm. I have to say I miss receiving letters in the mail. It was a nice touch to my day when I went out to the mailbox and found something other than bills and junk mail filling my mailbox.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Letters - they are wonderful. People in the future will not have the treasure trove of paper letters filled with interesting bits of history. What happens to all this stuff online and in personal online mailboxes - short nonsensical sentences and forwards; little of substance?

Gecko
Gecko
I love the smell of paper, really. It's so fresh. But handwritten letters are a thing of the past. I have never got one in my life.

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Writing letters can be very romantic. Where did that go?

Nicole Pickens, Editor of Short Stories
I
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I
I really do miss writing letters, i think with letters our writing skills improved and our thoughts flowed faster, faster than it does with personal emails, for me anyway! I still write on my journals in letter form as a matter of fact.

Ije Yvonne, Editor
Literary Fiction
Current Events
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.