Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#776092 08/02/12 08:12 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Boiled peanuts are widely consumed and commercially available in the southeast US. The peanuts are sold in the hull and either boiled with only salt or with various flavors ranging from bacon to "Cajun." While not suited to all palates, they are quite popular. Try some and decide for yourself.

Boiled Peanuts

Nick Greene
Southeast USA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I live in FL, so boiled peanuts are common around here! But we eat them in India too, my aunt's neighbor had a peanut farm -- so we had boiled peanuts all the time :-) They can also be made very quickly using a pressure cooker (about 20 minutes cooking time, 10 minutes cooling time)!

I think they are most similar to edamame, so if you like those -- you'll enjoy boiled peanuts :-)

Last edited by SG_Indian_Food; 08/02/12 09:53 AM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Nick, I've had boiled peanuts a time of two. They fall under the heading of strange, but delicious. In Kansas, it's hard to get raw, fresh peanuts to boil.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
During my research into boiled peanuts, I discovered that they are eaten around the world. In Africa, they used to use Bambara groundnut (whatever those are) but switched to peanuts after they were introduced in the 16th century. Besides India, they are popular in a number of Asian countries as well as throughout South America.

I've never used a pressure cooker, but my late mother-in-law used to prepare lima beans in one then freeze them. They were marvelous. She was a fantastic cook, one of the many reasons I miss her.

Is there any food that you ate in India that you don't have in the US that you miss?

Nick Greene
Southeast USA
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hey, Connie. To be honest, they fall under the heading of strange and I'd prefer to skip them for me. I think it's more the consistency of the nut that bothers me than the taste. They are too squishy. My wife loves them.

You're from one of the few states I've never visited, not even an airport. I think of wheat when I think of Kansas, which may be wrong. Is there a regional food in Kansas that you enjoy?

Nick Greene
Southeast USA
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Yes, lots of exotic fruits & vegetables mainly -- I'm not sure how to even describe some of them or what their English names would be :-)

Fruits such as the Alphonso mango, jackfruit, sugar apples/custard apples, rose apples, wood apples....

Vegetables like the Indian pumpkin vareities, drumsticks, red carrots, leafy green varieties...

Just yesterday, I was craving a variety of rice (Ambemohar) that has a very distinct taste & fragrance of mango blossoms when cooked :-)

Indian Food Website

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I don't think I've had any and those fruit names are making my mouth water. Ambemohar rice sounds interesting. I love trying new foods when I travel (which is frequently). I'd love to visit India some time. I have freinds who live there. The closest I've come is Sri Lanka. Earlier this year, I added 2 more countries to my list, Singapore and Malaysia. Both were fascinating, but I had very little time to see them.

Nick Greene
Southeast USA
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
We used to eat boiled peanuts all the time in Hawaii. They served them at baseball games just as mainland people served roasted peanuts. I love boiled peanuts but my Texas hubby prefers them roasted.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
That's interesting, Lori. I've never been to Hawaii, but I'll be hitting Kaua'i next year. I'll be there for work, but I plan to take my wife since it'll be right after our 27th anniversary. I have been to Texas, though, on many occasions.

I have to agree with your husband. I actually prefer roasted peanuts as well.

Nick Greene
Southeast USA
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Lori: I did not know they ate boiled peanuts in Hawaii! But I do know they sure do love SPAM :-)

Nick: well when you're in Malaysia -- do try all the gorgeous exotic fruit, especially durian (since it's banned in S'pore). Also, dont forget to leave the chewing gum at home!

But you can also try star fruit, dragonfruit, rambutans, mangosteen, lychees & a lot of the fruit I mentioned above :-)

Last edited by SG_Indian_Food; 08/02/12 03:59 PM.

Indian Food Website

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cynthia - Southeast USA 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.