Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#776034 08/01/12 04:58 PM
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Going through the processes of perhaps a ADD/HD grandchild starting school, someone has told me about Sensory Processing Disorder and a misdiagnoses of ADD may be made while it is SPD. What do you know about SPD. Not even sure where to start. All I know I don't want a ton of time wasted when school starts with a child that needs a diagnoses and testing.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I have it as a part of my aspergers. When there is too much going on, my sensory processing centers are overstimulated and shut down.

Some examples-
I can't hear what one person is saying if too many people are talking.

crowded loud busy rooms make me anxious.

bright lights and loud sounds upset me.

having to be social for too long makes me meltdown.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Also, too many questions upset me greatly. Each question contains dozens of sub-questions. I start to shut down quickly.

Specifically, quantitative questions. Qualitative questions I am okay with.

Last edited by Jilly; 08/01/12 05:49 PM.
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thank you Jilly. It hit me like a ton of bricks after I had heard about it. I had expected Tori to be ADD/HD, plus bipolar runs strong on both sides of the family. However, I noticed a few things that didn't add up to ADD. During a recent holiday which are usually not always "fun" events because everyone is so hard on this sweet child. Three people yelled at her exactly at the same time. Her hands immediately went to her ears and she was screening in pain. That was my thoughts anyway, others felt she was being a spoiled brat. Since she was very little she has been very afraid of trucks, heavy equipment and the noise. Also vacuum cleaners. Her reaction was terror. When she was a baby to maybe two years old she would have night terrors. Bringing her out of sleep during a night terror was a horrifying experience. She also reacts to bright lights. There is a lot I need to learn before she begins school. One other hint, she does well one on one. If she is with just me she behaves pretty good. Mix one more plus people into the mix she goes ballistic.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Diana, please mention this to the person who is doing the testing. If they are not familiar with it, then find somebody who is. One of my kids has sensory issues. As Jilly says, it can be part of the Autism Spectrum Disorders. Lights, noises, smells, touch, and overstimulation can all trigger problems. Try to find some good information about SPD to give to your family.

You are so perceptive; I'll bet you've identified what others have missed.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Both the parents suffer from many of the same issues. You and I have spoken personally about it in the past, so you know what those issues are. I guide the parents as gently as possible otherwise I have to deal with an eruption.

So, the SPD could be within the ADD and other disorders?

One of the "top" testers in town observed her during a preschool class (private religious) and insisted nothing was wrong????? We're talking small town South Dakota and parents that don't have the resources to go elsewhere. I will use the laws in our favor once she is in the public school system.

Thank you so much Connie for your help. You are the go to for any questions on this subject and a person I can completely trust.

Please, anyone that has dealt with this and similar issues please share your personal experience. I have two weeks until school starts.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Along the lines of touch, I also cannot tolerate restrictive clothing or anything scratchy. My clothes have to be soft/smooth and loose. Necklines can't be too tight, and I can't wear chokers. I can't tolerate the plastic thing they put around my neck with getting a haircut. I can't wear jeans or anything with a structured waist - elastic is fine. I like materials that have a 'give'.

I also don't like my feet in enclosed shoes.

I hate wearing bras, even though I have to. Although I think that is a common complaint. smile

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
The school can find ways to accommodate sensory issues, just as Jilly has found ways to make things comfortable for herself.

Maybe you can sit down with this little girl and find out what bothers her and why. It's not enough to find out that "clothes bother me." Some people don't like scratchy clothes, while others might be bothered by velvet. It's common that the little tag in back bother kids with sensory issues. The best way to find out about the issues is to do several little talks. Base them on things that you see going on. Document the talks, so that you have notes.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Arg, yes, the tags. I cut mine right out. I often cut off necklines too.

I can't talk or hear or think, even, with loud music on. I never liked concerts. I don't like live music at all. It's just too intrusive.

I'm not hugely sensitive to smell or taste, which is a relief.

I imagine everyone with SPD is a little different. I hope seeing the world through my eyes a little bit can be helpful.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I have been spending time these last few days at a bookstore cafe and I am finding it aggravating to not have control over my own musical selections. Some of the songs get inside my head in a bad way and i can't hear anything else. I have to plug my ears with my fingers until those songs end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.