Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hey folks,
The latest article from the Japanese Culture site is up. Check it out!

Japanese School Lunches

What are the things that make lunch time in Japanese schools stand out? Click on the above link to find out!

Last edited by Tas - Japanese Culture; 11/17/12 07:35 AM.

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I am always amazed at the efficiency and attention to detail of the Japanese. I am Japanese but alas, I am yon-sei (fourth generation Japanese American) so I lack much of the desired qualities of the Japanese. frown

The Japanese, like so many Asian cultures, believe that food is very important. I loved reading your article about how each child has a nutritionist! If only the school food system in America were as child-centered instead of convenience- and cost-centered.

I would so adore having a bento lunch instead of microwave-heated rubbery chicken "nuggets" or a steamed bean burrito which is typical fare here. I guess I should be thankful for food as long as it nourishes my body. But your article made me salivate! LOL.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hehe, not every school lunch may be delicious... Problem is, you don't get to choose. When I told the students that we have canteens instead of school lunches in Singapore, and that we can choose to buy fried chicken, hamburgers and soda every day, they were so green with envy... smile

And it's kinda sad to see many students being picky, not finishing up all the food. There're always leftovers every day, and I think it's such a waste, considering that there are people elsewhere in the world who don't have enough to eat. Those kids really don't know how lucky they are.

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Yes, it is the same here. A lot of food waste. Now the local schools have "share" boxes in which the students can put in packaged, uneaten foods or whole fruits. Other hungrier students can go through the bins. Or students can exchange foods.

It is so much better than seeing the trash cans filled each day with edible food.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Wow, that's cool. Wish we can do that here...

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
This is the school lunch I had last Wed. The teachers like to give (read: dump) a lot of food to me every time, to clear out extras and unwanted portions. This particular day, I had an additional piece of fish. BTW, the persimmon was not on the menu, given out to teachers who were in the staff room only...

See the piece of maple leaf-shaped portion? In Japan, maple leaves are to autumn what cherry blossoms are to spring. Yup, the Japanese are pretty big on flowers and leaves... It's so them to include such symbolism in their food. And it's not just in schools either.

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.