logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#775138 07/26/12 03:53 PM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
July, 2012, I attended the Southern Skies Star Party on the shore of Lake Titicaca in Bolivia. We were 12,000 feet above sea level in the Andes Mountains. The night sky was impressive. The Milky Way was straight up, arching from one end of the sky to the other. Scorpius was overhead, and further down the Milky Way was Crux the Southern Cross. Alpha Centauri and Beta Centauri, the Southern Pointers, pointed to the Cross. Alpha Centauri is the closest star to us (or rather its smallish companion Proxima Centauri is). The system is 4.4 light years away. 25 trillion miles. Alpha Centauri is the 3rd brightest star and thought to be sunlike. Its proper name is Rigel Kent, meaning "foot of the centaur." Beta Centauri is called Hadar. The Jewel Box is nearby, and we observed its gemlike stars through the telescope. It is an open cluster. I again saw the Coal Sack although it did not appear as dark as it did from Australia. We looked at Omega Centauri, the best of the globular clusters. It is a big fuzzy ball of millions of stars, named like a star although not a star at all.

We were 16 degrees below the equator, so the southern pole star was 16 degrees above the horizon. The southern stars rotate around Sigma Octanis as the northern stars rotate around Polaris. Sigma Octanis is very dim at 5.4 magnitude. The Southern Cross points to it, and I may or may not have seen it through my binoculars. The Cross is between the centaur's legs and used to be part of Centaurus.

In the old days, I never thought of Sagittarius as being a teapot. Now, it's plain! It's a teapot! Behind us was the Summer Triangle. Everything was turned around. Orion is the example everyone gives as being upside-down.

The hemispheres are upside-down from each other, and this causes constellations like Orion to appear inverted in the south. It is the same with the moon. It is easy to get confused.

We always feel like we are on top of the earth because gravity pulls us toward the earth's center. It is the same gravity that created the earth in the first place.

The first night is always best. It drops off quicky, and you make yourself keep going out. My roommate, an Iranian who left Iran during the political upheaval of 1978, located 45 galaxies in a single night. He went to Machu Picchu in Peru.

SOUTHERN SKY

Jewel Box
The Jewel Box (NGC4755) is an open cluster visible to the naked eye. It is near the Southern Cross. The "jewels" are red, orange and blue. These stars formed from the surrounding dust and gas.

Achernar
Achernar is 9th on the list of brightest stars. It is a flat star. Its rapid rotation caused it to flatten. Achernar means "river's end," and it lies at the end of the constellation Eridanus the river.

Coal Sack
This dark nebula is a patch of dust and gas in the Milky Way. It lies close to Crux, the Southern Cross.

Sigma Octanis
Sigma Octanis is the south pole star. It is one degree from the south celestial pole and very dim at 5.4 magnitude. It is in the constellation Octans the Octant (a navigation instrument). It barely moves in the southern sky as stars revolve around it.

Argo Navis
Nicolas de Lacaille split Argo Navis into 3 constellations. Carina is the keel. Puppis is the stern. Vela is the sail. Canopus is in Carina.

Crux (Southern Cross)
Crux is the smallest constellation. It is near Musca. Do not confuse it with the False Cross.

Alpha Centauri
This is a triple star. Alpha Centauri A & B are comparable to the sun. They are 4 light-years away.

Magellanic Clouds
The Large and Small Magellanic Clouds are irregular galaxies. A supernova appeared in the LMC in 1987. Its light was from a star that exploded 150,000 years ago.

Musca and Chamaeleon
I took a fancy to Musca the fly and Chamaeleon the chameleon. The chameleon is trying to eat the fly. They are near the Southern Cross.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Jim, thank you for your reports about your southern skies observing. I've never been south of the equator, the closest ever to the equator was about 32 degrees. (I've been much farther north than south.) The star party sounded great even if some of the travel-related stuff was a downer.

And Lake Titicaca. . . Wow! I've always thought that was an enchanted place, though I suppose it's not really, except for fantastic skies with the right weather. All those southern constellations and other sights, gosh, must have been fantastic. Did you take pictures - or just soak up the sights?

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.