Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The big science story this month was the CERN announcement about finding the Higgs boson. This particle is evidence for the Higgs field which fills space. As other particles interact with it, they acquire mass. If subatomic particles didn't have any mass they would zip around at light speed and there wouldn't be any atoms. No universe, no us. frown

OK, so what about the zombies? I looked around for a good explanation of the Higgs and found the following infographic: Higgs boson: A Bluffer's Guide [Click on it to enlarge it.] I liked science writer Ben Gilliland's graphics and the Higgs field with zombies. But I should tell you that zombies aren�t part of the standard model of the Universe!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Oh Mona thanks so much for posting this, it is just great, definitely a keeper.

Even I understand Higgs Boson now, and am normally totally 'hilflos' - lost, when it comes to 'quantum' anything. (Except Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace of course, now that I understood)

Poor Miss Top Quark though, that transformation to an electron did not really improve much for her, certainly not her hair style. smile

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Yes, poor Miss Top Quark, but we all know it's no picnic gaining mass. (Though come to think of it picnics can contribute to that.)

But not everyone has found the Higgs field with zombies. Fake Science ("for when facts are too confusing") has a different take on it. Do YOU understand the Higgs Boson? It's quite funny.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.