Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
On July 17, 1918, the Last Tsar and his family were brutally murdered in the basement of the Ipatiev house. It was a horrible end for the dynasty that had ruled Russia for over 300 years.

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art177280.asp

Interestingly enough, on their way to the final destination, they had passed by the village of Rasputin's birth, Pokrovskoye.

Anna - AHHA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Anna, this is a very informative and well-written article. I remember as a teenager crying when I read the book about Nicholas and Alexandria and their family. Their horrible end was so shocking and devastating. I often wonder why the people in charge thought it was necessary to murder the family.

There were also rumours that the eldest daughter somehow escaped the execution because she was not there at the time. Do you know if this is true?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Yes Phyllis, many rumors have persisted throughout the years about Anastasia escaping the execution. My belief is that it would not have been possible for her to escape: the murderers were very thorough in their task and ensured all were dead.

It remains shocking to this day, and unimaginable as you say. The new regime felt it was absolutely necessary to extinguish the family because they wanted total control in the new world they were creating in Russia.

I can't believe that Nicholas' cousin, the King George of England would not have done something to help.

Peace.

Anna - AHHA
Thanks, Anna, for confirming that there were rumours about Anastasia. I could not remember for sure the truth of that.

I think King George may have had to think about the ramifications to his country and his own Royal family if he had helped Nicholas. What a terrible position to be in.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes you are right Phyllis, it probably was a difficult decision to make at a very difficult time.

Britain had been at war with another of King George's first cousins, Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm, for some time, this was World War I, and although a rescue of the Tsar and his family had been planned it was considered to be too much of a risk in many different ways, including for Britain itself. As well logistically almost impossible for a rescue attempt to take place at that particular moment.

However it was not expected that the Russian royal family would be executed as they eventually were. Although Nicholas II was apparently a very pleasant human being to those who knew him, because of his policies and seeming lack of interest in the lives and deprivations of his people, together with the behavior of his wife Tsarina Alexandra, they were not popular and rightly or wrongly blamed for many of Russia's problems.

King George sent battleships which rescued many members of the Russian aristocracy, including his aunt, Tsar Nicholas's mother, and these later settled everywhere from France, Germany and England to the USA. This is the account of one family Marie Vassiltchikov and her family

The King later authorized the rescue of other relatives, monarchies were collapsing all over Europe at the time, including the former Emperor of Austria and members of the Greek royal family. One of whom, Prince Philip, later married the present Queen of England.

As for Anastasia, even though it made for a 'romantic' story for quite some time, complete with someone who claimed to be the Russian princess, in 2009 it was officially confirmed, using DNA from decendents, that a series of tests made in different countries on bone fragments found in two separate sites, and nine years apart, had proved the remains of the entire family had been identified. The last two were the heir apparent Alexei and his sister Maria.

Their deaths were cruel, totally unecessary and unreasoned revenge, but at the same time I am still not sure why it was considered that the Royal family, and those of their servants who happened to belong to the Orthodox Church, qualified to be given sainthoods. Perhaps you know Anna.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Hello Francine & Phyllis!

I agree that the situation in Europe did not help the Romanov's, but I got the impression that King George's attempts at helping his cousin escape were half-hearted and certainly no one could have imagined the horrible execution of the family. The instutution of monarchy was on shaky legs as well -- and after Kaiser Wilhelm who swore that he did all he could to get Nicholas out of Russia -- it was only the British monarchy that survived. (Strangely enough, Wilhelm did permit Lenin to pass through Germany to Russia, though....)

The canonization controversy of the Romanov's raged for many years and still inspires debate.

During his reign, the last Tsar donated much money to the RO church and 250 monastaries and 10000 new churches were built, in Russia and abroad. The beautiful St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice, France, is but one example of the churches built as well as many here in the US. Nicholas was a sensitive and religious man who often noted that he was born on the day of Job, who suffered greatly.

The debate which spanned almost a decade resulted in a decision to canoninize the Tsar and his family and others on August 20, 2000. (The RO Church outside of Russia did so years prior.) Along with the royals, some 800+ persons were canonized -- priests and lay people who died in prison camps after the new regime took over.

They were considered to be passion bearers, on a lower rank in the heirarchy of sainthood, with the reasoning of those who made the decision being that they accepted suffering and death with humility, with a piety, and not because of their actions. There were also cases of healings reported.

In the end, though, are we only human after all?

I sense that people today are awakening to their possibilities and realizing that they themselves are able to make contact and commune with the Divine, sans the control and omniscient attitude of the clergy. That is a beautiful thing in itself.

MEER VSEM -- PEACE.

Last edited by anna*ahha; 07/16/12 08:21 AM.

Anna - AHHA
A
A
The Red army heard that the White army would arrive in a few days to liberate the family and they found the remains of Anastasia. Sorry the article was not available when I checked. The Royal family brought this on themselves by refusing to give up absolute power in an epoch were this was the trend. How could their cousin have helped them when they were in the hands of hooligans? Who would he have negotiated with to let them go? They were considered the epitome of the worthless aristocracy who were not going to help the people and they were abused by their captors.

Last edited by ajrg; 01/30/14 08:52 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.