The program aired in the U.S. on Friday, July 6th. It was a 2-hour Barbara Walters special on ABC's 20/20 called "Heaven.....Where is it? How do we get there?". I stumbled upon the program just as it was starting and I had to tape it to watch at a later time. I viewed it today.

Barbara reported that about 90% of Americans believe in the concept of heaven. Featured on this program were leaders and preachers of various faiths including the Dalai Lama, actors, a scientist, a doctor, and people who have had near death experiences. Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Evangelical, Buddhist, and scientific views on heaven were explored. People who believe in heaven view it as a place with an abundance of love and light, where happiness is the norm all of the time and there is no suffering, and where everything you could ever want would be present. Several faiths believe that this is the place where you will be close to God.

I found the program to be quite fascinating, even down to the concept of hell, which was featured at the end of the program. I was amazed that a gene in our DNA has been found to be responsible for the awareness within our brain which makes us more or less spiritual as individuals. Some people have this gene while others do not. It may explain why some people seem to be very spiritual while others are not so much.

Do you have any comments on the program you'd like to share?

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator