Ah, back to the most-needed-in-the-kitchen discussion.

I don't actually use a lot of appliances. My 3 favorites would have to be my Cuisinart, a good blender, and two mixers: hand-held, and a stand mixer such as a Kitchen Aide (OK, so technically that's 4 appliances....).

While I usually get out a trusty knife to chop most of my veggies, the metal blade in the Cusinart is so handy for so many things: grinding nuts for baking or for nut butter, blending butter into flour for pastry, even for mixing cake batter! I have not used any of the slicing blades yet; perhaps that will be my mission this month to test those out.

I can do a lot with a hand-held beater, and when I inherited a large Kitchen Aide model from my mother, I thought I was in heaven! With that one can make bread dough, cake and cookie batters, whip cream and egg whites, and even make butter! WOW!

I love a blender to make smoothies and for pureeing, though now I can do the latter with my Cuisinart. I'll have to try making a smoothie in that, too.

Oh, and how could I forget a juicer?? I don't have one any more, though it's on my list to get another Champion juicer as soon as I can save up.

So, I guess I use more than I thought--and I've narrowed it down to 5 appliances, not 3. Unless the Cuisinart will do all the tasks of a blender.

Tell us your favorite five (or fewer)!

Caitlin McLeod
Home