logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#769997 06/25/12 02:46 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Just a couple of years ago, my wife and I were returning from a visit to our daughter who was studying for a semester in Belgium. Since I had used frequent flyer miles for our trip, our flight choices were somewhat limited, so we already had a 5 hour layover in Washington, DC. As a frequent business traveler, I have a membership in the club of one of the major airlines, so we were at least comfortable with free drinks and snacks.

However, as we sat there, watching TV, the weather news continued to worsen, specifically in the area around home. Our flight was pushed back twice and, in fact, as our scheduled flight time approached, a tornado apparently destroyed a church in a nearby city. Finally, the flight was cancelled completely.

The first flight on which the airline could guarantee a seat for us was 2 days later, but we were welcome to come in and wait standby for each earlier flight the next day, which is what we did.

After a late night pizza delivery (for a missed dinenr) and a short sleep, we were back at the airport at 5:30AM. Finally, after three full flights, we were able to board an afternoon flight and arrived home nearly 24 hours late.

Now as flying nightmares go, that experience wasn't that bad. I've been involved in more frustrating delays and it wasn't scary like the time my wife and daughter were aboard a plane struck by lightning, but it was not a fun experience.

How about you? Would you care to share your worst travel experience with us? Reply to this post and tell us about it.

Nick Greene
Southeast USA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I haven't traveled a lot so maybe that's why I haven't experienced any travel nightmares. Being held up on the tarmac for two hours, lost luggage that really wasn't very far away after all (in the office). Minor. Loud or tipsy passengers provided entertainment, actually. A crying baby once, but I completely sympathized with its mother, as a mother myself.

I have friends and family who have experienced a mugging in Spain (a thief punched my friend and grabbed his camera before running off), robbery in Italy (thugs robbed a senior tour bus), racism in Louisiana (a server refused to wait on their table). Missed or delayed flights.

But not me.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi Lori,

I'm sorry especially to hear about your friend's experience in Louisiana. I hope that happened a long time ago. Today, I would expect most people to be concerned with legal ramifications. But, there are stupid people everywhere, and bigotry in any form is just stupid. Not long ago, a restaurant owner in Myrtle Beach was arrested for refusing to allow a blind patron to enter with a Guide dog.
wall

I hope you have more opportunities to travel. I believe travel is essential for the soul and I love to travel.

While I can sympathize with a parent with a crying baby, there are things which can be done. When your ears pop as the plane ascends, imagine if you were an infant and didn't know how to clear your ears and were unable to express your frustration. Flying parents need to have a bottle, or at least a pacifier. The sucking action should help equalize the pressure on the baby's eardrums and alleviate the problem. Plus, just like a large meal makes us sleepy, a full baby will usually want to nap, leading to some peace a quiet for weary traveling parents.

Crime can happen anywhere, even in our home towns. We had a window broken in our rental car in Frankfurt, Germany and the rental company's GPS was stolen. Although the police who responded did not speak English very well, they were sympathetic and friendly. The management and employees of the restaurant we had dined in were fantastic. (I can't say enough nice things about Chicago Meat packers in Frankfurt.) I'll be adding an article soon with some suggestions for traveling safely.

Last edited by Nick - Southeast USA; 06/28/12 08:30 AM.

Nick Greene
Southeast USA
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Ooo, great ideas for upcoming articles? I love your traveling with babies tips.

And yes, the travel safety tips article also will be read with great interest!

I like your thought that travel is essential for the soul. Moving about, meeting new people, adapting to new ways, imbibing the energies of different places...all so good. I read that Mary, mother of Jesus, kept her family moving throughout his childhood. There must be a spiritual component to traveling.

I will be doing more traveling in the now and in the future.

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Lately, I've been way too broke to travel but I'm lucky in that I live in Northeast Georgia, one county away from the famous Dillard House. I think I'll save up and go there for lunch. Dinner is too large for me. I'd appreciate some tips on cheap local travels if you have any.

Nicole Pickens, Editor of Short Stories
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi Nicole,

Definitely give Dillard House a try.

I understand about how tight money can be. You're talking to the right guy, because I plan to write a lot of articles on ways to save money.

The first thing that came to mind for me was the Chief Vann House, because the first time we visited Dillard House we were staying in Ellijay and visited the house. That may not be that close to you, but the state and national parks can often be great resources for cheap activities. You can find museums as well as outdoor activities.

Another place to check is a local college. For instance, here in Charleston, the College of Charleston has 3 different museums that are free to visit. The Avery Institute is a fantastic museum on African American history. There's a Communications Museum that has antique radios, televisions, motion picture projectors and a lot of other exhibits. Finally, there's a new natural history museum.

One inexpensive outing for families is to a U-Pick farm. Pack a picnic and head to the nearest fruit self-pick farm. You might be able to picnic on site or find a park nearby. Most have signs up saying that they expect people to eat a certain amount as they pick. Most smaller kids will enjoy this immensely. It's a fun activity and you end up with food for later. Watch my site for some great recipes for southern fruits.

Instead of Disney or Universal, check out some other parks like Six Flags or Carowinds, or even some of the smaller parks. Watch your local stores for discount tickets and coupons.

Other less expensive activities: Instead of paying huge fees at major sporting events, check out college or even high school sports. They may not be as talented yet, but often play with great heart. You might spot a future star. The same goes for stage productions; plays and musicals.

We like to go antiquing when we travel. Though we occasionally buy, just looking around can be fun. Many stores are almost history museums. It's fun for kids to try to guess what an old item was used for.

Speaking of museums, every year in September, there's a Free Museum Day when many museums around the country provide free admission. Check the website for one near you.

I hope something here is helpful.

Last edited by Nick - Southeast USA; 07/06/12 01:42 PM.

Nick Greene
Southeast USA

Moderated by  Cynthia - Southeast USA 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.