logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
I wasn't sure where you was going initially but I really like Ragen's post on What's This Thin Privilege Thing. It takes a few paragraphs to get into but I recommend reading the whole thing and reading some of the interesting comments.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
A
Most of the weight problems we see come from what we hear about weight in general. It starts at a very young age and it is always counterproductive. It seems it is a terrible sin to be overweight. We are all born different and we limit ourselves if we believe we are somehow less worthy. We all have the right to be who we are. I was always overweight, but I never let it limit me. I had a full social life, lots of friends of both sexes, held elected offices locally, provincially and nationally. I backpack hiked, cross-country skied, trekked, swam, gardened and did whatever I wanted. I knew I was overweight, but I looked at it as part of who I was, like tall, redhead and blue-eyed. That's all. And don'y diet. Most of my weight came from dieting. If the diets touted worked, you would only need one, not the thousands published every year. And remember, anyone who hurts you for your own good, is only building their own ego. Glory in who and what you are. Stand tall and face the skinny-sticks head held high.

O
O
gud article, there have been individuals suffering from obese. We should not forget every personal has it's own character. Though i am not very fat, but have got fat individuals in my kinfolks. Have also seen my one of my second cousin getting operated only for reducing weight. One question always drives my thoughts; Why do we actually create fun of obese, they should be given equivalent honors; insurance policies, marriage, outdoor games, jobs etc. We should never ever pity on obese. Anybody indulged in making fun of obese individuals should be snubbed completely. I have personally observed fat individuals being more amorous by heart, have also experienced this. Though am not against slim, just want everybody's privileges to be secured & well known. It's really sad today's age & generation also has these prejudice opinion. Have also seen people making fun, if not ahead, then behind the back, here in India the scenario is more intense, here if you are fat even your family will avoid support, the riksha & taxi drivers will avoid getting in obese. It becomes also very challenging to travel in trains. Hope this discrepancy will end one day. Will always support obesity.

S
S
You are so very on point in relation to how you feel about yourself and your body; people take note! Everywhere we go we experience a society that indicates how heavy or thin women need to be. It starts when we are children being measured on a chart that does nothing to individualize a person, moves forward onto school, and than adulthood. Heavier woman have been made to feel that it is a crime for putting a little meat on our bones. I do believe though that society is moving forward with these thoughts. As more and more woman of substance are standing up for who they are and telling the world, Hey, this is me, you can love it or leave it. As long as a woman is healthy, comfortable in her skin, than nothing anyone says or feels is important.

EDIT: (new posters aren't allowed to use promotional URLs)

Last edited by SG_Indian_Food; 12/13/12 09:48 AM.
I agree that we face a lot of negativity toward bigger sizes in society in general, but I read an amazing post the other day about self acceptance that use the quote "The call is coming from inside the house" to remind us that often we are our own worst enemy. I know this is true for me. No one has fat-shamed me to my face since I was a teenager, but I still do it to myself, all the time, and in brutal ways. I know that part of why other people do not see me as sexy or pretty is that I do not see myself that way.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Maybe back in 2012 that was the case but not anymore and it did start this year. Now being thin is like being a criminal. We cannot even say that someone is overweight because apparently it is an insult. All the while we see and hear people say go eat a sandwich and they do not even care if they say that to someone who is anorexic or may be anorexic. And then there are excuses over excuses for people who are overweight and for why it is okay to insult people who are not. Being overweight is not healthy but that too we cannot say that without being called out or worst. All these idiotic posts with pictures of supposedly real people are all people who are fat or obese, it's ridiculous because thin people are real too and because they are being hypocrites because they say people with weight issues should not be shamed but they are shaming people who do not have weight issues.

N
N
I meant to say did not start this year.

Moderated by  Nicole - Large & Lovely 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.