Print Thread
D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
The new episode of "Taboo" on the National Geographic channel tomorrow night focuses on a collector of "murderabilia", items connected to famous criminals such as the Unabomber. It airs at 10 pm Eastern time. I plan to post a review afterward, and we can also discuss the show as well as your views on murderabilia here.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
Personally, as someone who's obviously interested in true crime, I don't find such collections apalling if the items were obtained via legal means. I also don't think selling murderabilia should be banned, unless the proceeds go to the criminal, as they should not benefit from their crimes.

That said, I wouldn't own any murderabilia items myself, as I don't want to bring any negative energy into my home. I can also see how murderabilia could upset the victims' survivors, though.

Of course, depending on how this particular collector is portrayed tomorrow night, I may have more to say about him. On the previews, he did seem quite a bit more excited at being in the same room with the Unabomber's stuff than I would. Almost like he was meeting his favorite actor or musician...very fan- or groupie-like.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
I pretty much have the same impressions after viewing the show. Additional thoughts:

I found it funny that the guy's name is Gein, like Ed Gein.

It sort of bothered me that he said the victims didn't enter into his thoughts at all. He also seemed to treat getting the dirt from the dump site the same way another person might collect sand from the beach.

The doll made by Charles Manson was creepy and I wouldn't want it. Then again, I wouldn't have wanted my dad corresponding with Manson, either.

K
K
I saw the effort to ban the sale or profit of murderabelia. I didn't notice any talk regarding "Hollywood" profits as in the Ted Bundy story or any of many sensationalized crimes on TV or the Movies. I don't think I would buy the murderabelia, Doesn't mean I would ban it. People buy that stuff. They go to movies, and our society seems to have a macabre interest in the stuff.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
Good point, Kyary On, welcome to the forum! Hollywood definitely profits the most from famous crimes, I think. Mr. Gein certainly isn't a millionaire from his sales.

I think some of the interest, at least for me, in true crime is learning about what makes a person into a killer or other type of criminal. There's also a bit of fascination about what the human body can do. For example, you'll see a news story where someone was impaled through the HEAD, yet lived. Then look at cases like Selena or Brandon Lee, where one small wound claimed their lives simply because it was in the right place to do so. It's a reminder of our own mortality, but a safe one because the story on the screen or in the book happened to someone else.

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.