Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
Every summer, libraries across the United States take part in "summer reading programs" for children, teens, and adults. Do you participate? Why or why not?

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
My kids particpated when they were younger. They would win the little prizes/coupons for reading xx number of books. As they grew older, they lost interest, even though the library tried to make it exciting for teens.

The systems administrative offices are in the lower level of one of the regional libraries. I have stopped going upstairs during my breaks because it's wall to wall kids.

I don't mind the kids, just the ill-behaved ones and the loud obnoxious parents who seem to want everyone to hear them fussing at their kids.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
V
Wolf
Wolf
V
My kids did it when they were younger and really enjoyed it. My daughter volunteered at the library last summer during the reading program and that led to her getting hired for the part time student position! There are only about 30 kids total participating in the program this year but the librarian is happy with that number.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
There are so many other things happening with teens, that the library quickly becomes irrelevant for them. We generally have about 50 kids participate in the teen summer read. That is quite a drop-off from several hundred who participate in the children's one.

This year, after a several year absence, we are doing an adult summer reading program. So far we have more than a dozen people signed up. We are promoting it as a family summer read. So far, it has been well received.

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor
C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
Thirty kids can be a great number depending on the community and the type of public library involved. Libraries that are in large cities are often more likely to have larger programs, not because of population, but because most people work in the city in which they live.

Smaller towns in rural areas tend not to have high attendance at any program because they are commuter libraries. People leave the community to go to work and do not find the time to come to the library after a long commute.

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I'm very torn about these programs. My instincts are to avoid programs that apply external rewards for learning (or really any "desired" behavior). Studies show that when you reward kids for behaviors like reading, that it becomes about the rewards, not about the reading, and when the reward goes away, so does the behavior. (See Alfie Kohn's "Punished by Rewards.)

That said, my kids love to read, so it's never been an issue. I may explore this for an article in Early Childhood. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I'll have to check that out Nicki, thanks for sharing.

We did decide to do the program this year, only because we need to get in the habit of using the library as a resource instead of purchasing books. My oldest daughter is pretty good and likes going to used book sales and thrift shops but for the younger two I thought it would be nice to get them out and about weekly to the library. We have a summer series of kid's activities, so thought it wouldn't be bad to try the program as an added summer benefit.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
One of the benefits of the library is its ability to showcase a variety of subjects and ideas. Libraries make you think. I am forever shelf browsing and finding books on topics I did not know existed. For kids, the library can be a fun place to go and have them "try out" books without the expense of purchasing.

I am always gratified to see kids on their first trip to the library. Their expressions of wonder that all these books are theirs for the taking never fails to make me glad I do what I do.

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
All four of my children have been involved in summer library programs over the years. This year my two youngest are participating. Our library program rewards children by placing their name on a wall once they have achieved the hourly goals, and giving books as "prizes". The children also get to put their name in a jar to win a gift card to our local independent bookstore. I like these programs because they keep children reading over the summer. Parents (or babysitters, nannies, day care programs) put it on their busy summer schedules to go to the library, talk to their kids about what they are reading, and perhaps even read some of the books aloud with their child. I am tutoring 14 students over the summer and requested that they all sign up for the program. Many of my students HATE reading, but doing this program opens up conversations about finding enjoyable books, and keeps kids who would never choose to read if they weren't in school reading on a regular basis. I also like the reward system - it's the external "hook" that motivates some kids to consider signing up. In the end, the kids like the program because they enjoy going to the library with their parents, spending time with great books, and feel good about achieving a goal they weren't sure they could meet. (our library goal is 10 hours over the summer)

C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
I love the idea of a gift card to an independent bookseller. I think libraries partnering with other businesses in the community is a great idea. Independent booksellers are a community treasure and should always be supported. Sadly, there are not many left.

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.