Page 1 of 2 1 2
#765901 06/02/12 02:02 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I personally find cash a lot harder to spend than whipping out the debit card or check. ( I don't own a credit card).

Cash seems more like real money, hard earned money, and I am not comfortable carrying it around or spending it. I hate forking over real money!

Since i don't have any room in my spare budget for non essentials, I make cash here and there selling off something or selling scrap metal i collect. This cash goes into a stash that I hate raiding from. Therefore, my new idea is to only use this money to buy things that are not food, mortgage or utilities.

Do you think this would work for others?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Today worked well with using only cash. I needed to make a return on an item and ended up with a few dollars. I put that with a little 'kitty' i have and was able to buy something non-food that was needed.

I just have to remember not to use the debit card. Like, ever. It's for paying the bills only and cat food. If I want to go to a bar i have to use my cash kitty. I like how this makes me uber mindful.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think it might help to put the kitty in a nice jar or container. Something that makes me happy to open.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I sold some scrap metal this week and got some cash. smile I used that to buy myself a few used books and a couple beers at the bar.

So far i like this using of cash for non-living expenses. It's keeping me very aware of expenses. If i don't have the cash on me, I don't buy it. Cool.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I forgot this week to use cash at a bar the other night. I actually had more to drink than i should have, as some men bought me some beverages. So then i spent $10 myself and used my debit card. I reserve my card for living expenses at this point.

I felt pretty uncomfortable about this the next day. Using just the cash is really so much more comfortable - i then know exactly what i have allotted for things each month.

Lesson learned.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
An important note: Last month Wells Fargo Bank charged me almost ten dollars for not using my debit card enough! According to them, I need to make ten POS purchases a month to continue to have free checking.

I'm pretty peeved off about this. I found an excellent solution, I thought, to using only cash when not paying bills. Now I have to make sure I use the card at least ten times, which means I have to keep track and COUNT card purchases online each month, before I can put the card safely away.

I don't even think free checking exists at banks anymore without labyrinthine rules, so it's not like I need to move my account.

The point: be careful if you are going to cash for non essentials - see if your bank requires a certain number of point of sale purchases first.

I could have used that nine dollars on cat food. I am really annoyed.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Update at this point: I actually have to remind myself to pull out the debit card and make ten purchases on it each month. It still annoys me that I have to make a conscious effort to do this. I need to check and see if I've done it this month, actually, since it's been a very low-spending month.

It's weird to have to make myself spend money to save money. It turns my whole frugal system on its head, and encourages me to make frivolous expenses.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I think that might be the idea! frown

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Agreed, Ian!

I'm still annoyed at Wells Fargo. You'd think they make enough money off of other people's money that they wouldn't resort to this kind of nickle and diming.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Some people put money in enveloped at the beginning of each month, and assign each envelope a target: as in groceries, entertainment, housewares, clothing, gas, car expenses. And you only use the cash in the envelope to track your spending each month.

Ever heard of this budgeting tactic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.