Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello all,

Yes, what is the most unusual plant you have ever grown? Maybe it is a vegetable or fruit or other edible that you had never tried before?

Perhaps you inherited it from someone and carried on caring for it?

Maybe as a dare (as opposed to a truth or a promise!) you took on the task of trying to nurture something exotic or different?

Please tell us your story and maybe someone will want to try too? I would more than likely be a someone in this instance - gardening has certainly taught me patience (still learning!) and to be more adventurous and forgiving ... and a lot more besides!

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Probably lithops.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Hi Lestie,

I wouldn't say that this was an unusual plant to have grown but it was an interesting experiment of sorts.

Some years ago I put a single rice 'seed' on some damp newspaper in the fridge and I soon had a rice plant. When it grew too tall for the fridge I removed it to a window sill where it grew quite happily to about 3 foot!

Joy

Gecko
Gecko
mine wasn't the most unusual but it is the only one I ever saw or heard of that actually bloomed..... a snake plant

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
a banana tree I tried to grow as a houseplant

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Clementines are usually seedless, but once a batch I ate had seeds, and the fruit was some of the sweetest I ever had. I planted some of the seeds and got about 6 or 8 plants that had lovely glossy leaves. I wish I had cared for the plants better. I don't have them now.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
About 40 years ago my DS planted some clementine seeds that grew, and grew. I still have the plant, or to be exact, the tree. It goes outdoors every summer and I always have to prune it back to get it to fit back into the house again in the fall. It has bloomed a few times in the winter and I spread the pollen and got some fruit that took nearly a year to mature.
I have a lot of house plants and am currently proud of the Bougainvillia vine that I bought in Marathon FL 17 years ago. It wants to grow into the treetops and I have to prune it and wrap the long stems around and around to keep it in bounds. It bloomed for the first time this spring and is still covered with big pink flowers.
Another Florida baby is a Surinam Cherry that I grew from seeds that I picked up from the ground in Florida about 35 years ago. It blooms in the winter too, and right now is full of the little red fruits that look like miniature star fruit.

Gecko
Gecko
Claybird sounds like you have a green thumb. My mom has one but I did not inherit it from her. (my sister was her last and she got the hair, the nails and the green thumb) LOL laugh

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I grow a lot of plants that may be considered exotic or unusual by others - Ajwain (bishop's weeds), mangoes, dates, clementines, figs, holy Indian basil, betel leaves, papaya, voodoo lily, Indian ginger, Indian jasmine, fenugreek, amaranth, ridge gourd, chickpeas.....

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Wow, those are exotic, Sadhana. You really grow your own dates, chickpeas and papaya? Where in the US do you live?

I would love to grow lychee!

But for now, the most "exotic" plant I am growing is Hawaiian ginger, plumeria and ti plant.

Last edited by Lori-Dreams; 05/01/13 07:07 PM.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.