Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#765579 05/31/12 02:46 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
If you're living close the edge financially, should you be a good tipper? Should you tip at all?

Do you tip your hairdresser a few bucks, or a percent of the treatment cost, or nothing at all? Do you feel like the waitstaff hates you at your local pub?

Ethical comments? Rants?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This can be a touchy issue. I'd really like to know what people's opinions are. Remember, no one is right or wrong! No judging! smile

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
As a former server, if I knew that someone wanted to tip better but could not afford to do so, a smile and thank you were more than sufficient! smile

I'm glad you brought this subject to light because sometimes servers forget that customers have their own financial challenges. Not all are rich. And everyone deserves to be able to dine out.

Tell you what would make me smile is a short note from the customer saying, "I'm sorry I can't tip you better but thanks for great service! :)"

When I've been caught short of cash for a tip jar, I always apologize to the server and offer instead a blessing. "I'm so sorry that I don't have cash but you will be blessed for your kindness!" And the person always smiles. Often, they reply, "Oh, that is even better than money!" One guy said, "Oh, I believe in that. I can always use blessings!"

And I make good on my promise. As I depart, I always say a thankfulness blessing for the person, asking God/Universe/Source to pour out blessings of love, joy, health, abundance and riches upon this very kind, hard-working person. May he be rewarded for all his goodness and know how much he is appreciated by customers...that he makes this world a better place!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
This is a tough subject. If one can afford it, the cost of the tip should be included when even thinking about going out, and picking out where to go.
But that isn't what this thread is about. When I lived in Oregon, there was a restaurant tax that was proposed - it failed after surveys showed that the largest demographic groups of people who eat out a lot are the poor, and those who are workaholic types. Talk about unrepresentative!
So I guess it is important when your poor to leave what you can, be kind to the waitstaff, be polite and considerate of taking up space when they may be getting busy (don't take a booth up for yourself and only order coffee and an appetizer during dinner time), and consider leaving nice notes, blessings and other kind thoughts for your hard working server - who may very well be as poor as you.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Oh my gosh, Jilly. This is a tough one. I was going to write what Lori did.

I think a little note of thanks, praise and light apology could sometimes be just as much appreciated as a tip. Maybe have some notes made up ahead of time, with a little flower or butterfly sticker on it would be a good idea to keep handy. smile

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Here's MHO.
I rarely eat out, but when I do I figure the tip into the cost of the meal before opening the door. After all, most waitstaff are not paid a big wage and tips are assumed to make up the rest of their salary. If I were to give a tiny tip, or stiff the server entirely, I would be stealing their service. Would you really want someone to do that to you? It's another matter if someone helps you out as a friendly gesture and a verbal "Thanks a lot!" is all that is expected, but by going into the restaurant you are hiring the server to wait on you and should pay him/her the value of that service.

Last edited by Claybird; 05/31/12 05:45 PM.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Right on, Claybird!

My mother worked in restaurants when I was a child. If I can't afford to eat what I want and leave a tip, I order something that costs less. The only time when I would not leave a tip would be when the service was completely bad or the server was rude.

Last edited by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches; 05/31/12 07:39 PM.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
another thought for the poor who need to eat out - go to the types of places where tipping is not expected, such as many of the chain fast food places, or grocery store delis. Sit -down restaurants with service may just be out of budget for some.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Originally Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Right on, Claybird!

My mother worked in restaurants when I was a child. If I can't afford to eat what I want and leave a tip, I order something that costs less. The only time when I would not leave a tip would be when the service was completely bad or the server was rude.

Don't get me wrong: I am a very generous tipper. I think all former servers are. The only time I don't tip well is if I use my debit card at a counter service/take out place, and they only accept cash tips. I rarely keep cash on me. I usually go out of my way to an ATM to get tip money but sometimes, it just isn't possible.At a sit-down place, they accept credit/debit card tips so no problem.

But back to the original point: Yes, I as a customer consider the tip as part of the overall cost of a meal, not an option. But as a server, I guess I felt for those who couldn't tip me well. I just let it go.

Last edited by Lori - Marriage; 06/01/12 12:49 AM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think I am hearing Claybird, Connie and AKlisa say that if you can't afford to tip well, you shouldn't go to nice sit down places?

I jut wanted to confirm, please! smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.