Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
ijklmn440060, LegacyPoetry, Emily Roxin, Norma Jo Doll, sankari
57148 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57149 Members
417 Forums
112880 Topics
799023 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 718
Beetlemess 527
Nancy Roussy 236
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 122
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 104
Mystic - Romance Movies 99
Dianne W - Editor 66
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 64
Tracy - Philosophy 60
Karm - SW USA Editor 56
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#761169 - 05/06/12 03:53 AM New article - Attacks on Athletes
DonnaCrimeEditor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Loc: Louisville, KY
It's the 19th anniversary of the Monica Seles attack this past week. Of course, her case and Nancy Kerrigan's are well known, but other athletes have been attacked for a variety of reasons, some due to their fame, others simply random robberies.

Given the near-fanatical fan base of many sports teams, as well as the high visibility of lots of players these days, do you think most athletes take enough precautions to protect themselves?

Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to Twitter Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to Facebook Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to MySpace Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to Del.icio.us Digg New article - Attacks on Athletes Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to Yahoo My Web Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to Google Bookmarks Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to Stumbleupon Add New article - Attacks on Athletes to Reddit
#761471 - 05/07/12 07:37 PM Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes [Re: DonnaCrimeEditor]
FrankJBN Offline
Gecko

I would guess that they do take precautions. There are really relatively few atheletes attacked because of their celebrity as far as I know. The two cases you cite both occurred almost 20 years ago. I don't think any one victimized by a random attack should count in this discussion.

I read that about 5 years ago there was an upsurge in attacks on football players in the form of attempted robberies. This has been attributed to the life style of the athletes involved, i.e., flashing cash, wearing 10s of thoussands of dollars in jewelry.

Of course, one of the most famous cases of crime against a celebrity athlete is that of Eddie Waitkus, who was shot by an 'adoring' fan in 1949.

Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Twitter Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Facebook Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to MySpace Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Stumbleupon Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Reddit
#761480 - 05/07/12 08:07 PM Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes [Re: DonnaCrimeEditor]
DonnaCrimeEditor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Loc: Louisville, KY
I'm sure they do take precautions, like many celebrities began doing after the Reagan, Lennon, and Schaefer shootings involving deranged fans. I wonder, though, if the fact that so much time has elapsed between those cases and now with so few attacks on athletes has led to any relaxation of that security.

Of course, certainly Shawn Johnson's stalking case could have culminated in an attack had Robert O'Ryan not been caught before he could get that close to her. I'm not sure if the Sinha case was a random attack or if her robbers knew who she was, since they were never caught. Could have been either scenario.

The flashy lifestyle is not a good idea for anyone, I agree. Remember Jack Whittaker, the Powerball winner who carried cash all the time and got robbed of over $700,000 in two separate incidents? It's definitely better not to flaunt it, athlete or not!

Steinhagen was completely crazy! Waitkus was extremely lucky to have survived the attack. I've read that PTSD hit him hard afterward, though. Sad for someone to survive an attempt on their life only to have it basically destroyed anyway by the trauma.

Thanks for your comments! smile

Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Twitter Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Facebook Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to MySpace Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Stumbleupon Add Re: New article - Attacks on Athletes to Reddit

Moderator:  DonnaCrimeEditor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
False Lashes
by Kimberly - Cosmetics
Cosmetics
Today at 02:05 AM
Bombs are the BOMB!
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
American Regional Cuisine
Today at 01:25 AM
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Today at 01:13 AM
Lacaille's skies – Arts *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 05:38 PM
New body woes
by msashley
Body Image
Yesterday at 05:12 PM
Do you use any apps to help with weight loss?
by msashley
Body Image
Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Upcoming Book Reviews
by Cheryll - Bahá'í Life
Baha'i Faith
Yesterday at 03:27 PM
Ideas for Creating Sandwiches with Salad Fillings
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Yesterday at 02:01 PM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Yesterday at 01:24 PM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Yesterday at 01:23 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.