Print Thread
D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
It's the 19th anniversary of the Monica Seles attack this past week. Of course, her case and Nancy Kerrigan's are well known, but other athletes have been attacked for a variety of reasons, some due to their fame, others simply random robberies.

Given the near-fanatical fan base of many sports teams, as well as the high visibility of lots of players these days, do you think most athletes take enough precautions to protect themselves?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I would guess that they do take precautions. There are really relatively few atheletes attacked because of their celebrity as far as I know. The two cases you cite both occurred almost 20 years ago. I don't think any one victimized by a random attack should count in this discussion.

I read that about 5 years ago there was an upsurge in attacks on football players in the form of attempted robberies. This has been attributed to the life style of the athletes involved, i.e., flashing cash, wearing 10s of thoussands of dollars in jewelry.

Of course, one of the most famous cases of crime against a celebrity athlete is that of Eddie Waitkus, who was shot by an 'adoring' fan in 1949.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
I'm sure they do take precautions, like many celebrities began doing after the Reagan, Lennon, and Schaefer shootings involving deranged fans. I wonder, though, if the fact that so much time has elapsed between those cases and now with so few attacks on athletes has led to any relaxation of that security.

Of course, certainly Shawn Johnson's stalking case could have culminated in an attack had Robert O'Ryan not been caught before he could get that close to her. I'm not sure if the Sinha case was a random attack or if her robbers knew who she was, since they were never caught. Could have been either scenario.

The flashy lifestyle is not a good idea for anyone, I agree. Remember Jack Whittaker, the Powerball winner who carried cash all the time and got robbed of over $700,000 in two separate incidents? It's definitely better not to flaunt it, athlete or not!

Steinhagen was completely crazy! Waitkus was extremely lucky to have survived the attack. I've read that PTSD hit him hard afterward, though. Sad for someone to survive an attempt on their life only to have it basically destroyed anyway by the trauma.

Thanks for your comments! smile

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.