#755818 04/07/12 11:49 PM
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Have you and the kids had a great time decorating eggs? Now, what do you do with all of those dyed eggs? Don't throw them out. Make Easter Egg Salad! Use the eggs in this basic recipe. The coloring on some of the whites just adds charm to a special egg salad that pleases your taste buds and your pocketbook.

Egg Salad Recipe

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello there all and all,

We traditionally make curried eggs with our after-Easter eggs that we boiled. Because they need to be boiled pretty hard for their first job of working for Easter and the decorating, they are easier when repurposed (as they say) and served with a sauce of sorts ... and the egg salad you suggest provides just this too. Anyway, if you want to try this simple all-day-use recipe it is very easy to make and one of my favourites. Traditionally English? I am not sure, anyway. BTW if the Easter-boiled eggs are really hard, then crumble them (finely chop), add to the sauce and serve like that with the rice.

Ingredients you will need to serve 4 people: 8 hardboiled peeled eggs, freshly cooked fluffy plain white rice (just make enough)
1 finely diced onion, 2 Tbs plain cooking oil (unflavoured) 2 Tbs cornflour, 1 Tbs Mild/medium curry powder, a pinch each of turmeric powder and salt to taste, but leave out salt if using a stock cube, 2 cups vege stock (use a bouillon cube if you need to), 1 peeled grated apple.

Sometimes I decorated with seared peeled red sweet bell pepper strips but only if I had time to fiddle - otherwise just cut parsley for some colour. Csreful though as the flavours are delicate and parsley can be strong. a scant shake of Paprika gives colour and this is the one I used if i needed more decoration. However, my breakfasters usually just liked it served plain. I also served it for brunches and for light lunches/suppers with a plain green salad.

1 Heat oil in 12-inch frying pan using medium heat. Add grated/diced onion and saute until soft but not brown.
2 Add curry powder and a pinch of turmeric powder to the slaked cornflour, stir over low heat until mixture forms smooth paste, like a roux.
3 Add stock gradually; stir using a whisk until it starts to bubble - sauce must be smooth and velvety.
4 Add apple, stir and cover the pan.
5 Simmer gently for around 15 minutes, you judge, sauce should be mustard colour.
6 Add halved boiled eggs, heat through.
7 Serve the rice on a heated platter; arrange eggs and sauce on top and decorate if you want to.

How do you boil your eggs? I plunge mine into boiling water to which I have added a tsp of white vinegar, leave to come back up to the boil and from then time them for 8 - 10 minutes. Take them out and plunge them into cold water which 'shrinks' them and makes them oh-so-easy to peel.

That is what I like about writing up recipes Connie - they remind me of food served in the past and the guests and the chatter - such nice stuff to think about!

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Let's not forget food safety if we are using up our Easter eggs. Only leave the eggs on display for a few hours at a time and then return them to the refrigerator. Eggs left out for days after being colored should be thrown out.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Absolutely right, Cassie. Thanks for highlighting that information. Also, wash the eggs and dry them.

At our house, the Easter Egg Salad was traditional. The eggs went right from the baskets to the salad.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Lestie, your egg curry will go on my "to make" list. It sounds great.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Connie,

It is easy and tasty and not only for Eastertime eggs!

We used to have a group of us that met once a month for a recipe swap (or household tips etc.) or similar where we would talk through the recipes and answer questions of others and explore alternatives and/or just get new ideas.

We all put $10 into the pot and by a majority-of-hands vote the winner got to take home the money as a prize. I really loved these sessions; they were my best excuse to eat that walnut malva muffin!

Once we had a theme which was 'eggs-delight' where the main ingredient had to be eggs. Well I won this one with this recipe, as simple as it is, and went home that month with $80. It was the only time I did win which made it even sweeter!

Tell me if you do make it, what you find and if you make any adjustments - love learning more!

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 04/09/12 12:46 PM.

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I'm definitely going to try this when I am dealing with a surplus of eggs. It sounds like something that my husband and I would enjoy.

I'll let you know.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Connie,

Don't wait for surplus eggs, just boil as many as you need and go for it! Ag man ... feel like some now myself so think I will make some tonight and share with a buddy or two.

Hope you have a good weekend everyone and say cheers,

Container Gardening Site

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
LOL. You're right, Lestie. I always think, "YAY! Easter eggs! I can have egg salad, deviled eggs, pickled eggs..."

It isn't hard to boil eggs any other time of year. ha!

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I can boil them any time, too. But Lori, there is something magical about Easter egg salad; maybe that's why it pleases you so.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.