Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#749693 03/05/12 10:52 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
What things do you do to use less water in your home and garden? What are your water bills like? Do you know how many gallons you use in a month?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I keep a close eye on how many gallons of water i use in a month.

I used 400 gallons in November, 500 in December and 600 in January. Either I am doing something more water intensive these days, or i have a leak. Need to consider this. I'd like to keep it down to 400 gallons and even less, over time, as I figure out how to conserve my water well.

One thing I do is resuse my dishwater/cooking water in my kitchen garden and on my trees.

All piped grey water from my sink and laundry goes back into the ground in my backyard to reenter the water table.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I went and got a water audit on my home from when i moved in. It was just a list of how much water i used/paid for each month. No charge for that. smile

You can really tell the months i had water leaks. It's amazing the difference in water used. At least that water went right back into the ground table though. So it wasn't a terrible thing.

Still saving the water from boiling food, washing dishes/hands/teeth, etc, and adding to the garden. smile

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Good news. In March I used 400 gallons. That's a big relief, as that is my current goal usage. When dan leaves this month I will see how much I alone use - that will be cool. Maybe my goal will be 200 gallons.

I think the difference from the month before with 600 gallons might be from using the clothes washer.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
When I do the dishes or have dan do it, it do it in a low, square tub, so i can toss the dishwater in my garden. They love it!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Since this is high gardening time now in my area, i am using up my winter-stored rainwater on getting the food trees and starts established. Once it rains this summer the barrels will fill right back up. So this is working out perfectly!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This week I worked on a new 'water feature' for my backyard. I already have my grey water hose set up from my studio, but now I did something to make it super easy to reuse this water in my garden. I am starting a new thread on that now.

Here is the grey water thread.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/16/12 09:34 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Used water definitions, FYI:

Pure Water - lovely fresh water that is wasted to flush toilets, provide showers, clean laundry and cars, and to water gardens. This is water we really should reserve for drinking, cooking and providing our pets.

Clear Water - water with no solids in it. Water we waste while waiting for showers or sink faucets to heat up, water used to boil pasta, water used to rinse clean veggies, etc. This form of water should be recaptured right in the sink or tub. Let this water flow into containers and use to: flush toilets, water houseplants, use in the garden, fill the first load of laundry (the soapy cycle) and for any kind of cleaning purposes.

Grey Water - Water used in all applications that are not involved with feces. Used sink water, used laundry water, used bath/shower water. This water can contain soap, skin flakes, dirt, food particles and other items that can be in small solid form or carried in suspension. This water should be returned to the soil into the form of a mulch basin, constructed wetland area, or to even use directly on shade trees, landscaping, fruit and nut trees, into the compost bin, or for garden uses that are applied only to non-edible root systems.

Black Water - this is used water from toilets, or used cleaning water from dirty diapers. Feces can absolutely be composted, but this task needs to be completely researched before embarking on to prevent biological contamination. This is really the only water that should ever go to the city or your septic tank for proper filtration and cleaning.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am very excited! I got my water bill yesterday and it was only 200 gallons! And for half of that Dan was here. So i imagine next month it will be even less. smile

I was curious what part of my bill was actually for water I used, and what was the amount that was the basic service fee. This bill (April) was for $26.77.

So i called the water company. It turns out that the monthly base fee is $26.45. So I used only .32 on water myself!

I was told the fee for water usage is $3.35 per one thousand gallons, and that the price gets higher after a certain number of thousands. Not that that is an issue in my home! smile

I find it fascinating that i only used .32 worth of water this month. This coming month will be my first here alone without dan living here, so i am amused and wondering if may will cost me something like 12 cents. heh

I lived with the water off completely before dan moved in, and am thinking about doing that once more. Using a combination of rain water, grey/clear water, well water from a friend in large blue jugs, and paying .15 a gallon for reverse osmosis drinking water, my bill was negligible. I think during the monsoon season coming up (summer) it should not be a problem. That will refill the rain barrels that I am using on my garden right now.

My plan is not to shut off the water again until I can see just how low my bill will be using my normal conservation measures.

Last edited by Jilly; 05/03/12 05:48 PM.
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
That is really low especially with a garden in AZ.

Alice Andersen
Horror Literature
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.