Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
kimbee25, Trimurti Yoga Kerala, Cupping4Health, Camilahart12, cindimac
57028 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57028 Members
417 Forums
112595 Topics
796216 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 801
Beetlemess 580
Karm - SW USA Editor 333
Nancy Roussy 177
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 139
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 118
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 118
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 114
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 99
Kelly Tager 66
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#758108 - 04/19/12 10:48 PM Any tips on how long to keep make up
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

Loc: Virginia
I have this one eyeliner, not sure how long I've had it. I'm thinking it might be time to throw it away, but I don't wear a lot of makeup and I finally found this one, but I can't remember where I bought it.

The secret to a perfect interview? Know your story and practice it!

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon

Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to Twitter Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to Facebook Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to MySpace Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to Del.icio.us Digg Any tips on how long to keep make up Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to Yahoo My Web Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to Google Bookmarks Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to Stumbleupon Add Any tips on how long to keep make up to Reddit
#759275 - 04/25/12 04:49 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Samantha - Beauty Basics Offline
Jellyfish

Hi Dianne,

If the eyeliner is still unopened, it should be fine for many years. Once products are opened, they will degrade since they've been exposed to air.

I usually keep pencil eyeliner for 2-3 years. If it's been a while since I've used it, I'll resharpen to expose new product.

If it's liquid (and has not dried up), I'd say 2 years should be safe.

I would go longer on foundation or blush, but don't like to take chances on any products that I'll be using close to my eyes.

Hope that helps!

Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Twitter Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Facebook Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to MySpace Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Stumbleupon Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Reddit
#759605 - 04/27/12 04:50 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
jodiemt Offline
Gecko

I use an eyeliner for 2-3 years maximum.

Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Twitter Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Facebook Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to MySpace Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Stumbleupon Add Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up to Reddit
#759613 - 04/27/12 10:45 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

Loc: Virginia
Great advice, thanks so much...I really should start paying attention!

The secret to a perfect interview? Know your story and practice it!

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon

#770324 - 06/27/12 07:17 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
BRTCskincare Offline

You should only keep products for 3-4 months. Although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that. Generally someone who uses mascara (for example) every day will not have it for 2 years. It will be gone by then. you should be really careful with anything that is going near your eye and use only new products.

#772147 - 07/09/12 02:17 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Tania Jack Offline

If you are using natural cosmetics, these should be thrown out sooner. Regular cosmetics contain ingredients that do help prolong shelf life.

#772281 - 07/09/12 09:53 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Encore DT Offline
Gecko

Most store-bought makeup will last for years, as long as it is stored in a "cool, dry place" at room temperature, just as most labels say.

#774626 - 07/24/12 08:47 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Ezine_LVer Offline

Loc: LA
I throw away my eyeliner every half a year before. Now i don't use it. Find it is troublesome.

#774631 - 07/24/12 09:13 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Sarena Offline

I use pencil eyeliner since last 2 years.

#781669 - 09/08/12 04:01 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Latesha143 Offline

I keep mine for 1 year then I toss it after. There was a time that I continued using my eyeliner and mascara for more quite awhile since I don't really use it that often, I ended up having a sty on my lower eyelid. the doctor told me it can be caused by bacteria which can come from cosmetics. It was awkward, going through my meetings wearing sun glasses in doors! lol....

Edited by Latesha143 (09/08/12 04:02 AM)

#782195 - 09/12/12 09:13 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
mattresstx Offline

I think if it is unopened then you need not to worry as it is a fresh piece just check its expiry date once and use it as it is.

#784951 - 09/28/12 12:24 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
rosaly Offline

All the facial products should be used before 6 moths or hardly for 9 months.

#789276 - 10/24/12 05:25 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: BRTCskincare]
Calliopebrook Offline

[quote=BRTCskincare]You should only keep products for 3-4 months. Although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that. Generally someone who uses mascara (for example) every day will not have it for 2 years. It will be gone by then. you should be really careful with anything that is going near your eye and use only new products. [/quote] I think the the quality of cosmetics should be good.

#793916 - 11/23/12 02:29 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
joshualamberg543 Offline

It is best that you should keep products for 4-5 months. Keep in mind that although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that..

#794817 - 12/01/12 08:47 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Sarena]
Fiverivers Offline

I also use my pencil eyeliner since last 2.5 years. its given result for long time.

Edited by Fiverivers (12/01/12 08:51 AM)

#795836 - 12/12/12 04:24 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: BRTCskincare]
angeliedelapena Offline

[quote=BRTCskincare]You should only keep products for 3-4 months. Although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that. Generally someone who uses mascara (for example) every day will not have it for 2 years. It will be gone by then. you should be really careful with anything that is going near your eye and use only new products. [/quote] wow! this is really an eye opener for me! thanks for this! :) www.cntraders.net

#797539 - 12/24/12 03:22 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
centrimallad Offline

so hard for me

#799849 - 01/10/13 06:03 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
kanika Offline

when you purchase beauty products the always take latest month product and use it till the product don't get expire.

#800001 - 01/10/13 09:58 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
clairehobby Offline
Shark

don't worry , a eyeline can be kept for 3 years.

#800924 - 01/16/13 11:20 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
dianaz Offline

Loc: Russia
well if you think it's the time to throw it away - do that! it's always right feeling :-)

#803119 - 01/28/13 12:13 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
BB -Body Care Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

I always check the expiration date which might be somewhere on the back label or bottom of the product. Otherwise, it is a sure bet that any product that is closing in on a year old should be disposed of promptly. Products lose their effectiveness over time, bacteria builds up, and might cause an infection.

#804479 - 02/05/13 01:23 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: rosaly]
A Barraclough Offline

Loc: 14 Littlejohn Road, Orpington,...
i think all facial product will listed that how month you can use it.

#807750 - 02/25/13 02:13 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
vijaykumar Offline

Use eyeliner pencil.

#810281 - 03/08/13 01:58 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
masoom Offline

well said Dianaz

#816737 - 04/16/13 12:11 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Lady J Offline
Elephant

Loc: West Central IL (USA)
Rule of thumb is once opened, if it's a liquid or gel, get rid of it in 4-6 months or by the expiration date. If it is unopened, then it is still good up to the expiration date. If your product doesn't have an expiration date, and you've had it in your possession over 6 months.... throw it away.

Anything that goes near mucus membranes should always be thrown away after an infection or illness. Anything like chapsticks, lipsticks, glosses, etc should be thrown away after a cold especially when they've been used. you can build up bacteria from illness and keep giving it to yourself. If you have a cold sore, throw away the product, you can spread them.

Always store your products in a cool dry place... NOT THE FRIGE or FREEZER. those can actually cause degredation of the products since most contain fats.

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!

#817071 - 04/17/13 10:30 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Meredeth King Offline
Shark

I always use the product before its deadline, and keep it in a cool dry place, but if the product i dont use for a long time although in the expiration date, i will dispose.

Edited by Meredeth King (04/17/13 10:31 PM)

#818885 - 05/01/13 03:56 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Waektra Offline

Loc: DKI Jakarta
I have not used it again

#820113 - 05/09/13 12:39 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Laura Figel Offline

I use an eyeliner for 2-3 years maximum.

#820114 - 05/09/13 12:41 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Laura Figel Offline

Great, thank you!

#820115 - 05/09/13 12:43 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Laura Figel Offline

Great ideas!

#820802 - 05/14/13 04:59 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Allynbarb Offline

I use eyeliner pencil..

#832453 - 08/04/13 11:31 PM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Anna_Bella007 Offline
Amoeba

Eye Liner can be kept for long but we can be sure about keeping other products for such long some products must get degraded.

#836903 - 09/09/13 05:00 AM Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
D Rose Offline
Amoeba

I do not use eyeliner after its expire period or in case expire date is not mentioned I use it only for 1 to 1.5, max 2 years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
35 minutes 0 seconds ago
Kidnapped Nigerian girls: should we get involved?
by Gordon Barlow
Human Rights
Today at 08:01 PM
Sandwich du jour
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Sandwiches
Today at 04:55 PM
Red Wine Question.....
Wine
Today at 04:52 PM
Spiritual Quotes
Spirituality
Today at 04:41 PM
Giving and Spirituality - Article
Spirituality
Today at 04:34 PM
My Spirit Was Touched By a Canada Goose - Article
Spirituality
Today at 04:32 PM
Rosetta, are we there yet?
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 04:31 PM
What Are Your Favourite Quotes
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
Today at 02:21 PM
30 Day Challenge - Might Change Your Life
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
Today at 02:17 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 127 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.