Next Thread
Print Thread
#756949 04/13/12 10:12 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I've written about how to manage your stash and I'm wondering how readers keep their fabric stashes safe and clean?

Let us know here, and we might benefit from your clever ideas.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
Thank you for your article. I am always interested to hear how other quilters store their stash. I have found that sorting my fabric by theme works best for me. I also put fabric that I have purchased with a specific project in mind in a couple of three drawer cabinets on wheels. (I would probably get another cabinet, but, alas, I have run out of floor space!) My studio, aka The Meadow, is in a converted bedroom. We put shelves in the closet where most of my fabric is stacked. Of course I have run out of shelf space so there are stacks of fabric under my cutting/ironing table as well as several totes with current works in progress.

Galloping Butterfly
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I love the name of your sewing room - The Meadow. My darling husband calls mine the cave!

I find it interesting that other quilters find they run out of space for their stashes. I have a few ideas of how we can use our stashes - must write one or two articles about it. Thanks Galloping Butterfly, may the floss be with you.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

C
C
Judie, I just discovered your articles today when I googled "quilt stash management," and your article came up. I am so happy to have found you. I plan to visit your regular website soon. The article on stash management was very helpful. I am a certified, dyed-in-the-wool fabriholic, and have been buying fabric (usually for a particular project, seldom started; and sometimes just because I HAD to have it)since I was 16 years old and earning my own money; and YES, I still have most of that. I have always worked, so now that I am retired and the kids are all raised, I have joined a quilting class and am learning how to do it. I could have dragged out all the quilting books and magazines that I have, and READ about how to do it, but having a learning experience with a hands-on teacher and interaction with my classmates (age range 12 to 77) is so much more fun! Faster, too. Anyway, thank you for your postings, and I am sure that we will be communicating again. Hugs! Claja99

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi claja99, thanks for your comments. Welcome to Bellaonline Quilting. I'm so pleased to hear that you are at last making the most of your stash that you have spent so much time building up. I hope you continue to enjoy the classes. You're always welcome to ask any questions you may have here at this forum. We have a wonderful bunch of quilters who contribute regularly with their expertise.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

!
!
I am so fortunate to actually have a quilting "studio" these past 3 years. After years and years of using the kitchen table it's heaven!! I have an IKEA bookshelf unit that holds 1 or 2 small plastic bins (about 12 x 20")in each cubby (there are about 20 spaces). I sort most of my fabric by color and label the bins. Some bins are multi-color and some are theme. I put a newly purchased pattern and its fabric in zip lock bags until I get to it. No frantic searching for the matching fabrics. Life couldn't be better:)...

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I envy the well-organized sewing rooms. sick

A few months ago we moved to a home where I have the room to set up, so my days of sewing in the dining room are over. I do have the room somewhat organized, only everything is still in cardboard moving boxes. I have not been satisfied with any of the storage equipment I have found in the stores and I'm not sure I can afford to have anything custom built, so I may have to settle. I'm getting some great ideas here that I hope to use in the near future. cool

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I must admit that I don't keep a very tidy sewing room (my husband would happily attest to that!). I find that when I give it a complete tidy up, I'm very reluctant to get anything out or make a mess. So for me, a messy sewing room is a creative sewing room. You just have to get used to looking for stuff all the time!! LOL

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

T
T
I, too, am fortunate to have a sewing studio (you can call it a studio if you are able to leave your machine out all the time). My fabric is stored in two places. My father made me a "fat quarter" shelf out of wood. It measures approximately 36" x 36" x 6" deep and has 36 - 6" x 6" cubby holes. (These measurements do not account for the thickness of the wood.) I sort my fat quarters by color. I also have an old china cupboard with glass doors and drawers. Fabric yardage is stored behind the glass doors labeled with date purchased, amount, etc. It really helps to SEE the fabrics I have and it keeps me inspired.

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.