Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
AimeeLake7, albertjay8786, maya luna, rani singh, Alycia cullern
57333 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57333 Members
417 Forums
113321 Topics
804580 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 849
Beetlemess 438
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 392
Jana - Creativity Editor 322
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 62
Dorcy 62
Sandra Investing/HFinance 61
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Mona - Astronomy 45
Dianne W - Editor 40
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#756784 - 04/13/12 12:42 PM Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom

On June 8, 2004 millions of people witnessed an event that no one still alive had ever seen: a transit of Venus. Another one will occur in June 2012 and then not again for over a hundred years. What is a transit of Venus? How did it help to work out the size of the Solar System?

Transit of Venus - Measuring the Solar System

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Twitter Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Facebook Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to MySpace Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Del.icio.us Digg Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Yahoo My Web Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Google Bookmarks Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Stumbleupon Add Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Reddit
#756786 - 04/13/12 12:54 PM Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

If you would like to see a map showing where and when the transit will be visible, have a look here.

Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Twitter Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Facebook Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to MySpace Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Stumbleupon Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Reddit
#758638 - 04/22/12 06:40 PM Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Jim Colyer Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Nashville, TN
I am looking forward to the transit of Venus on June 5. I have learned something from this. When Venus goes from the evening sky to the morning sky, it passes in front of the sun. On its way back to the evening sky, it passes behind the sun. Does this make sense?
Jim Colyer

Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Twitter Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Facebook Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to MySpace Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Stumbleupon Add Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New to Reddit
#758650 - 04/22/12 07:02 PM Re: Transit of Venus-Measuring the Solar System * New [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Linda19 Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
Interesting Mona! I will keep my eye open for that.

#761234 - 05/06/12 07:40 PM When could you see the transit? A calculator. [Re: Linda19]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Linda, at best we won't see much of the transit in the UK (or the rest of Europe). Weather permitting, in Britain, if we get up *very* early on June 6 we could see the last hour.

Here is a link to a transit calculator for everyone. Find your approximate location on the map and it will tell you what you can see. If you're in the area where the transit will be going on at sunrise or sunset, you should probably also look up the sunrise and sunset time. Local transit times for transit of Venus

Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Twitter Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Facebook Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to MySpace Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Del.icio.us Digg When could you see the transit? A calculator. Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Yahoo My Web Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Google Bookmarks Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Stumbleupon Add When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Reddit
#761324 - 05/07/12 06:14 AM Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
jodiemt Offline
Gecko

Wow. I'm going to look out for that. Will it be visible in India?

Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Twitter Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Facebook Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to MySpace Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Stumbleupon Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Reddit
#761339 - 05/07/12 08:31 AM Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. [Re: jodiemt]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

It would be visible in India, already started at sunrise. If you click the link in my previous post, you can find your location on the map and get some information on times - check your local sunrise time, too.

Here's information on Observing the Sun.

Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Twitter Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Facebook Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to MySpace Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Stumbleupon Add Re: When could you see the transit? A calculator. to Reddit
#766104 - 06/03/12 10:55 AM Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

SLOOH will be streaming the transit live. Their events page has a countdown clock and more information.

SLOOH Events Page

Some people couldn't get connected to the SLOOH coverage of the annular eclipse and I couldn't get anything for the lunar eclipse this morning. So I've found some more links which are in the next post.

Edited by Mona - Astronomy (06/04/12 01:30 PM)

Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to Twitter Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to Facebook Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to MySpace Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to Del.icio.us Digg Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to Yahoo My Web Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to Google Bookmarks Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to Stumbleupon Add Transit of Venus - live on your computer SLOOH to Reddit
#766247 - 06/04/12 01:51 PM Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

There are lots of places that are going to webcast the transit and as the whole thing lasts for about seven hours, you'll have many chances to tune in. After a look round, I thought this was the best place to steer you.

NASA Transit of Venus webcast

NASA will be following the whole transit from Mauna Kea in Hawaii, but on the page there are links to several other live webcasts, so you have a good choice. There's even a link to the Space Station � they can't do a continuous live feed, but will be posting pictures and perhaps video.

I'll also note that the Exploratorium � one of my favorite places � will have a live feed from Mauna Loa in Hawaii.

Exploratorium feed for transit of Venus

Remember! DON'T look directly at the Sun unless you have correct eye protection. DON'T look at the Sun through telescope or binoculars unless they have correct filters on the objective lenses-eyepiece filters aren't safe.

Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to Twitter Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to Facebook Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to MySpace Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to Del.icio.us Digg Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to Yahoo My Web Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to Google Bookmarks Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to Stumbleupon Add Watch theTransit of Venus June 5/6 online to Reddit
#766674 - 06/06/12 01:51 PM Pictures [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

I have a Pinterest Board: Transit of Venus which has pictures from the articles and a number of new ones.

Add Pictures to Twitter Add Pictures to Facebook Add Pictures to MySpace Add Pictures to Del.icio.us Digg Pictures Add Pictures to Yahoo My Web Add Pictures to Google Bookmarks Add Pictures to Stumbleupon Add Pictures to Reddit
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mona - Astronomy 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
First Letter-Last Letter
by "Rosie"
Attention Deficit Disorder
11 minutes 26 seconds ago
Where can I find Cardigan sweaters in Idaho??
by Betty6123
Women's Fashion
Today at 06:14 AM
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Today at 01:03 AM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 09:50 PM
Off-Camera Flash Photography Mistakes
by Ewa - Photography
Photography
Yesterday at 07:52 PM
Cosmic Halloween Tour . . . If you dare
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 04:49 PM
Perseveration
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 04:08 PM
Sandwich du jour
Sandwiches
Yesterday at 03:56 PM
Sides du jour
Sandwiches
Yesterday at 03:54 PM
Shopping at Costco Game
Sandwiches
Yesterday at 03:39 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Connie - ADD/Sandwiches), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.