Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You're adrift on a piece of driftwood in the middle of the Atlantic after the ship has sunk. If you're Rose in James Cameron's Titanic, apparently you are lying there staring at the stars. The wrong stars!

American astrophysicist, broadcaster, author and Director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York City, Neil de Grasse Tyson, pointed out to Cameron that the stars Rose was looking at were not correct for the time of the sinking. So for the 3D version Cameron reshot it.

OK, I kinda go with Tyson on this. After all, if you make sure the clothing, the furnishings, etc. are authentic, why any old sky?

And yet, even I might not be paying much attention to the stars if I were floating around on the Atlantic after a shipwreck. I might be thinking . . . well, what would *you* be thinking about?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
They were not only the wrong stars, but the picture was of half a sky view, doubled.
And I hope I never have to find out what I'd be thinking of in that situation!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Claybird, I hadn't realized that they couldn't even be bothered to do the whole sky, but just mirrored half of it.

Could be that trying to figure that out might take my mind off thoughts of freezing to death, drowning, wondering about other people etc. But I have to admit that when I saw the film, my thoughts were only tending towards wondering whether it was ever going to end. At some point my husband whispered desperately, "This ship is a long time sinking."

This video is very funny. It shows Neil de Grasse Tyson telling the story. Besides being a very clever man, he is a great raconteur. The story of the wrong sky

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've just noticed that Fred Olsen Line's ship the MS Balmoral will be leaving Southampton soon with 1309 passengers (the same number the Titanic had on her maiden - and only - voyage) to recreate the voyage. Except this one should have a happy ending.

It will go first to Cherbourg in France and then on to County Cork before heading out into the Atlantic.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Oh my everyone, now there's a trip I would love to take! I have never travelled on these liners and would not choose to do so on the monstrous ones available these days. But a trip such as this one that will likely mirror those days on board where POSH was in (Port out Starboard Home) would be a gracious and fine experience. Ah well. In another life perhaps!

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.