Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
We all have a story to tell about how we became smitten with quilting. What is your story? Be part of this conversation here on the Quilting Forum of Bellonline.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
Hi Judie What brought me to quilting? I always have sewn and knitted and crochet starting from a very young age, I remember learning to knit age 4 years. Anyway I wanted to learn patchwork as a young teenager but could not follow the instructions I had so went on other crafty excursions. 6 years ago we lost our grandson - stillborn and I was having a particularly down day about 8 mths later. I was driving aimlessly over the sunshine coast Queensland and happened to arrive in the patchwork angel. They were great and I was hooked. I am a quilting addict. If I don't get a full day at least once a week I am not nice to be around. I have met many great people and learned so much along the way and have produced many quilts. My favourite is the peace cranes quilt, dedicated to my late hubby. I am a addict and I love it. Cheers Deb

B
B
Hi All I have always sewed and done various other crafts, and was given a class by a friend as a present (I think she wanted company) and anyways I enjoyed it and she didn't too precise for her she said. I never did a lot for about 5 years after the class and then my sister and I signed up for a sampler quilt class at the local night school and the rest is history as they say :) Recently I was burgled and lost some of my first quilts, you know the ones without labels or photos because they weren't good enough to document, how I wish I had been as proud of them as I am of my later quilts as we are really feeling the loss they were like old friends.... so please learn from my mistake and label and photo graph ALL your quilts.

C
C
We were living in Saudi Arabia from 1998 through 2002, where there was little enough to keep one occupied as it was... and early in 1999, a neighbor discovered that there were beginning quilting classes being offered by a lady from Houston who lived in one of the oil company compounds. BUT... she didn't want to take the class by herself. She, and another neighbor, the latter an experienced quilter, talked me into being her companion and that was it. I ended up not only taking that class but two more years of classes, while the neighbor dropped out after a year!

M
M
My grandmother was a quilter who supported her family by piecing and quilting for others in the community. I always admired her work and it just seemed that I should follow in her footsteps. I have been quilting for 40 or more years, more now than when I had children around. I wouldn't be able to give it up!
I have taken a few classes, it never hurts to be reminded of different processes.

Maureen
I am in my 44th year and as my two kids were getting close to making me an official empty nester I figured I better find a hobby. I have no eye for fashion, i love crafting, hate knick knacks, and love the lore and history of quilting, particularly american history (how to make an american quilt combined my other passion - movies, with quilting). So, I knocked on a friends door who I knew to be a quilter, and she and i did a 9 patch cover for a lap quilt in an afternoon, while I learned to stitch, use a sewing machine, a rotary cutter, and other tools of the trade. She sent me out the door with the fill and the backing pinned to the front and I went home and stitched my way through some of my favorite old movies. I have been quilting 3 years and have made 6 quilts, designed my own patches on 2 of them. I love it, I love the creativity, I hate looking for fabric, but I love looking for and making patterns. I'm hooked!

Last edited by Judie Quilting Editor; 04/04/12 07:02 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Yes Gammy, it is quite amazing the reasons people are attracted to quilting. I wonder if it's got to do with the calm it gives you as you are creating. I know my mind tends to roam off into a quiet sanctuary while I'm hand quilting or needleturning. I love that feature of quilting.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Bakas, I'm so sorry to hear of your trauma and loosing your quilts. I can't imagine why people want to steal other people's quilts. I really hope that these quilts are returned to you safely and soon. We can all learn from Bakas's experience - identify and photograph your quilts quilters!

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hey clmharper, I bet you're thrilled that you attended that first class. I hear this story many times, where there is reluctance to attend, only to turn out to be the most passionate quilter in the world. Go girl!

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
You know Maureen, I envy you your history. I wish I had a family quilting background such as you do. That is the epitome of what quilting is all about for me...... handing down through the generations. Lucky you to live the dream.

cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.