Next Thread
Print Thread
#754558 03/31/12 05:00 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It is time to give the Earth a break and shut off your power for one Earth Hour on 31 March from 830PM to 930PM.

Read Further: How Earth Hour Is Constructive Conservation

Earth Hour is well underway. Share your plans for the hour or how you observed the hour!

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It is 630PM in Arizona and Earth Hour has just begun on the east coast of the United States.

The light inside the house grows darker than outside but I am keeping lights off. It is 92F (33C) degrees outside. I have all the windows open in the house. Fortunately, we are having a clear, breezy day. Typically with wind comes dust storms in the desert, more so the past 2 years. Even with all of the windows open, the house temperature is at 90F (30C) degrees. However, I am not going to turn on the A/C. There is enough clean air movement � sooo thankful � that it is unnecessary.

As I chop up the vegetables for tonight�s Quesadillas my mind decided to learn from the experience. I realized I needed to do this well in advance and have my station prepped while there was still natural light. That led to another realization. What was the last thing I wanted to do while natural light was still available? The answer really surprised me. I wanted to sterilize countertops and workstations with vinegar.

My brain pondered a question. �What if there was no electricity?� I started to view life accordingly. All of the vegetables and herbs used for dinner would have needed to come from my garden and not the refrigerator. I ran with the thought and asked myself what is the last thing I would do with electricity? Again, the answer surprised me! It was sterilize my dirty dishes in the dishwasher. While I cleaned and prepped for dinner, my eye caught the faint flickering of the landscape solar lights starting their gentle illumination for the evening.

I live in an area that has nothing for light pollution and without a full moon, it is �can�t see your hand in front of your face dark� outside. I find that I am particularly grateful for having these lights during Earth Hour and it makes me want to pursue more aggressively the solar power option. For if electricity did fall by the wayside I would still have access to the creature comforts of modern living without harming the planet.

This has already been an enlightening experience and it�s not even 830PM. I hope you will join me and power down for an hour today.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
And the tallies are in!

A RECORD breaking 6,525 cities in 150 countries participated in Earth Hour in 2012! That is so out of this world awesome!

Thank you to all who participated. It was a much bigger eye opener than I was expecting - totally worth it!

Stop by and share your experiences. I'd love to hear about them. Until next 31 March - keep those lights on dim. wink

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I celebrate our planet everyday so when Earth Hour arrives I do not participate so I do not sign the pledges for this. My dad is annoyed and my mom angry that I always close the lights of the rooms where noone is but I will continue doing this, not only does it help the environment it is also pointless to have a light on when noone is there.

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.