Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Camilahart12, cindimac, Tina Tourist, Indian55, aambroise
57024 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57024 Members
417 Forums
112583 Topics
796086 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 836
Beetlemess 641
Karm - SW USA Editor 355
Nancy Roussy 177
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 133
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 122
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 121
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 118
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 102
Linu 68
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#753526 - 03/27/12 02:57 AM A few radical electricity saving ideas
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Want to use under 400 kWh of electricity a month? Here are my notes on trying to get my electric use count to this small goal. Even if these ideas don't work for you, there might be a tip or two in here you can adapt for your own family.

Using Less Electricity - My Case Study

What do you do, or have heard of someone doing, to really get their electric bill down?

Edited by Jilly (05/07/12 05:03 AM)

Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to Twitter Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to Facebook Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to MySpace Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to Del.icio.us Digg A few radical electricity saving ideas Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to Yahoo My Web Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to Google Bookmarks Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to Stumbleupon Add A few radical electricity saving ideas to Reddit
#753532 - 03/27/12 03:06 AM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
Lyn-Christian Lit Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Loc: Southern USA
Jilly,

You're so full of good information. I hate to think of the electric we waste. It seems I am always complaining about charges that are not unplugged, lights that are left on, etc. I wish we had solar and wind powered everything!

Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Twitter Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Facebook Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to MySpace Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Del.icio.us Digg Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Yahoo My Web Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Google Bookmarks Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Stumbleupon Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Reddit
#753533 - 03/27/12 03:19 AM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
loong Offline
Gecko

Loc: Mt Tremblant,quebec ,can
Dear Jilly,
I live in a 3 1/2 apt.Tonite outside it will be -13,tomorrow all day -1.How cold does it get ,when it gets cold where you live.
Here we have average nights -20 to -25 degrees ,sometimes -40 .
My electicity bill came in today. For the 2 coldest months of
winter it is $168. canadian. exactly 56 days and that includes the 15 % tax we have to pay on electricity and everthing that has
been manufactured,except food.

You talk of solar system ,they are expensive,would it be worth the savings?You talked of a generator ,these work on petrol,where is the savings.Just to know, how much your 400 watts goal will cost you per month?

Just asking.

loong

Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Twitter Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Facebook Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to MySpace Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Del.icio.us Digg Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Yahoo My Web Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Google Bookmarks Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Stumbleupon Add Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas to Reddit
#753703 - 03/27/12 07:10 PM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Lyn-Christian Lit]
Burt B. Offline
Chipmunk

Originally Posted By: Lyn-Christian Lit
Jilly,

You're so full of good information. I hate to think of the electric we waste. It seems I am always complaining about charges that are not unplugged, lights that are left on, etc. I wish we had solar and wind powered everything!

Me Too !!!

#753764 - 03/27/12 09:24 PM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
loong Offline
Gecko

Loc: Mt Tremblant,quebec ,can
Dear Jilly,

In my last post,i asked how much your electicity bill would cost at 400 kwh.Mine cost me $ 30.79.

So if you have time could you answer my question .

With friendship in mind,

a simple buddhist called
loong

#753777 - 03/27/12 11:35 PM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loong, this is from the Altestore.com:

"Generally speaking, solar electric systems take from 12 to 20 years to pay for themselves depending on your location and what your local utility charges for electricity...That said, more and more states have very aggressive rebate programs and tax credits for both individuals and businesses to reduce the initial cost of the system."

My recent bill for 561 kWh is $48.61. I saved $15 by being in the low income energy support program at 26% saved.

I would save 30% at under 400 kWh a month. I expect to get there once Dan leaves - this is an amount for two people, one of whom (dan) has a heavier electrical use style than i do. smile

#753778 - 03/27/12 11:36 PM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Last April my lowest energy bill was 206 kWhs with a bill of $18.20. smile

I don't plan to have a full solar system - my plan is to find a cheap kit, like the amazon one i recommend in my article, and only use smaller appliances with it. For heating, I want to plan on using a woodstove (and found burnables). For cooling, I plan to camp in the mountains for the three hot months.

I realize these are more radical ideas than is feasible for most people, but experimenting is fun, and i might give someone some ideas.

Edited by Jilly (03/27/12 11:40 PM)

#753781 - 03/27/12 11:48 PM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Lyn and Burt, thank you. I've found for that for turning off appliances at it's most simple level, a surge protector outlet is worth it's weight in gold. I wrote my ideas about using those here: using power strips to save energy and money!

#754737 - 04/02/12 01:50 AM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Tonight i am looking around in my studio and noticed I have 5 CF bulbs going inside, and one burning as an outdoor light.

These are all using around 15 watts, which isn't bad, but LED bulbs would be even better. From looking around, the LED screw in bulbs are around $20. I can't afford those just yet, but can save up and try to replace them one by one.

For the lone outdoor light, I'd like to find a way to have that run purely on solar.

#759004 - 04/23/12 11:35 PM Re: A few radical electricity saving ideas [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I unplugged my CFL outdoor light last week and am now relying on my one dollar (from walmart's gardening area) LED solar light stakes to guide me around at night. I have them lining the driveway and going up to my front door.

Total cost - $6 to buy and no electrical fees ever. They are $1 each from walmart (total of six). LED lights do not have filaments to burn out and solar power lasts indefinitely. Installation fees also zero - you shove the pointed poles into the ground. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jilly 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
1 second ago
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
1 minute 17 seconds ago
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
3 minutes 14 seconds ago
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
7 minutes 25 seconds ago
What Is Your Philosophy On Life
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
45 minutes 9 seconds ago
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
49 minutes 36 seconds ago
30 Day Challenge - Might Change Your Life
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
Today at 12:37 PM
Kidnapped Nigerian girls: should we get involved?
by Andria B - Human Rights
Human Rights
Today at 12:22 PM
Sedentary Lifestyle Risk
by BB -Body Care
Body Care
Today at 12:21 PM
21 Ways to Enhance Your Life with ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 12:15 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Nancy Roussy), 71 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.