Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
This is a real toughie for me because there are so many wonderful Indian dishes -- some I enjoy for the taste but others are just attached to lovely memories :-)

So I would like to know:

What is your favorite Indian dish (pick 1 only please!)?
Why?
Have you tried making it yourself?

I'm thinking about this one myself & will post my answer soon!

Last edited by SG_Indian_Food; 03/15/12 08:57 AM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Really....only ONE? I'd have to say my favorite is Dal Makhani with some naan. Why it's my favorite, I really don't know. I like the spiciness. It makes a hearty, satisfying meal!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Hi Lyn, what a great choice! I too, LOVE Dal Makhani :-) Have you tried making it at home? Here's my recipe:

Dal Makhani

Indian Food Website

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I've got a recipe for Cashew Curry that I use again and again. It's very versatile so I've used it as a vegetarian dish with eggplant or sweet potatoes and I've also made it with chicken. It's always good.

Why do I like it so much, besides its versatility? I used to be the chef at a research branch of a cancer center (interesting that that center's ad is at the left side of my screen right now; I've never seen it here at BellaOnline). It was a rather small facility and one of my duties was to make and serve lunch to the staff every day.

When I took on the job, I got lots of requests to cook something 'different' from the Central Texas / Tex Mex foods that had been typical before my arrival. I noticed the many ethnicities represented by the administrative and research staff at the center and started cooking things I thought a broader audience might like.

Every time I branched out into a different ethnic cuisine, it was always with the fear of being compared to how grandma made it and I knew there's no way to beat such fierce competition. I always accepted the fact that the people who knew the particular cuisine the best would know it wasn't 'authentic' but I hoped they'd accepted my Americanized version anyway.

Example? One day I made Chinese food and a researcher from China translated her mother's recipe for Kung Pao Chicken and gave it to me to use at the center. It became one of my biggest sellers and is one of my recipes I treasure most.

There was a small group of researchers from India who came to lunch most days and I wanted to cook for them. I'd had this Cashew Curry recipe for a while and thought I give it a try. I made a vegetarian / eggplant version and a chicken version.

The Indians who came to lunch regularly expressed pleasure in my efforts and bought my curry for their lunches. A little while later, new Indian faces appeared in the lunch line, people I'd never seen before but who were coworkers who usually brought their own lunches. In a few minutes, a few more Indians showed up and then a few more, until the lunch period brought a whole new group of people I'd never seen before. I had no idea there were that many people from India working at the research center. Apparently, the curry was a hit and word of it was spreading throughout the center's Indian population. What a relief on my part!

I didn't see too much of those "new" Indians in the lunch line on a regular basis but I quickly learned to prepare for extra sales when the curry recipe was on the menu because it always brought them back to my kitchen for lunch. The curry gave me a chance to reconnect with my Indian coworkers I only saw when Cashew Curry was on the menu. Good food brings good company and that's one of my favorite things about cooking!

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Sadhana,

If I ever were to visit the U.S. again, I would head to Sunnyvale, CA and at our favorite Indian resaurant there I would order Panak Paneer because I relish the combination of the slightly acidic spinach with the mellowness of the freshly made cheese. Of course, I would just have to top it off with some (ok lots) of mango chutney to give it a sweet/sour complexity and maybe even make a "taco" out of it with some naan.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Awesome....THANK YOU! I have never tried making it. Usually, I buy it in a foil pouch at the grocery store.

A few years ago, we lived in an apartment under an Indian couple. Our apartment always smelled of curry. I loved it. I used to joke that I was going to start taking showing up at their door with a plate every night. I had always hoped she'd teach me to make a few dishes, because it never seems to taste the same when I make it.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
@Sandy: I love cashew curry (part of my Goan ancestry!), sounds delicious. Cooking should be adaptable & flexible :-) I myself like to travel off the beaten culinary path & think outside the box (while my more elder traditional family members roll their eyes but still enjoy eating what I made at the same time). Mix it up! Indian food can be intimidating so I really appreciate when non-Indians make Indian food at home, that's awesome!

@Les: I love palak paneer too & I used to live in SJ for many years before moving to FL. Lots of great Indian restaurants in the Bay area. I often think of mole as a Mexican curry of sorts :-)

@Lyn: the foil packets of ready made food are convenient but are notorious for containing extremely high amounts of various preservatives & especially salt! It's healthier & tastier to make your own. Dal Makhani can also be made in a slow cooker as well :-) Indians are great hosts, you should have definitely shown up with a plate!

Last edited by SG_Indian_Food; 03/22/12 05:56 AM.

Indian Food Website

Oooh... this is a toughie! I super love all Indian food but my absolute fav would be Butter Chicken! OMG, butter chicken is so crazy good!! YUM!!

Oh yeah murgh makhani is delicious. For me my favorite would have to be a lamb rogan josh.. yum

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
How can we choose only one?

Palak Paneer.

I've made my own naan, samosas and aloo gobi but not palak paneer. Just saw your recipe for homemade paneeer and I am going to try it. I didn't realize that the cheese had to be cubed and fried.

Last edited by Lori-Dreams; 04/22/13 10:26 AM.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Sadhana ~ Indian Food 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.